Marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You do realize there is a broad line between casually using cocaine, meth, X, whatever and being a crackhead, speed junkie, etc just as there is a broad line between casually drinking and being an alcoholic...right? Where is that line and who draws it? Why are you judging stoners, man? If marijuanna is safe, benign and fun why are you judging people who use it more than others. Why is it wrong hypocrite? Why are you so judgemental against stoners? Who are you to tell a 3.99 46-V MCAT doctor who will save the earth from all diseases that he cant smoke a safe fun thing whenever he wants?

Why can you draw a line between someone casually drinking and being alcoholic and you can't do the same for pot use? If anything, it would be even easier to draw the line since pot is not physically addicting and alcohol is...

And you compare pot to hardcore physically addicting drugs all the time. If you think this comparison is valid than the comparison has to be valid for alcohol as well. The only difference between alcohol and pot is legality.

I had a psych patient who came in and her psychosis was attributed to marijuana. n=1.

Same thing for my little brother. My experience with him has all but guaranteed I will never any substance to alter my mental status, even alcohol. The very thought of being in an altered mental state scares the **** out of me.

Members don't see this ad.

don't+mess+with+texas.jpg

Lots of people smoke weed. Lots of people don't. Even the most moral role model you can think of probably hit the bong a few times

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people smoke weed. Lots of people don't. Even the most moral role model you can think of probably hit the bong a few times

:)

You know, if Hitler had smoked pot, he probably could have gone to that art school...

Illegal marijuana is illegal.

Once marijuana is legal, use it like you use alcohol and Sharpies (responsibly and in moderation). Until then, don't.

All joking, dumb comments (there's too many to count on this thread) and insults aside, what you (most of you) dont grasp, or dont want to accept is that medicine is different than other careers. You're not a forklift driver who clocks in, clocks out and then goes on your way. You are a doctor while you are practicing, you are a doctor in the grocery store, at the ballfied with your kid, all the time. The public expects, and our profession demands the highest personal, ethical, moral character of the people allowed into it. You will see patients, nurses, other people out all the time that will judge your personal behavior and you damage your (and all doctors) credibility when you are involved in misconduct- whether at work or not. I have known people who I knew snorted coke at parties like once a month and they were under control and it didnt affect them. Some people can handle it. What if a doctor has a hobby with dogfighting out of work? what if someone is involved with the KKK on their own personal time? So i guess you're ok with that too. Comparing drugs to a traffic offense- stupid. Saying every pot smoker is a can't miss genious- get real. 99% of pot smokers are people riddled with personal problems. If anything, if someone special has this habit they are less than what they could be if they quit. I dont care what you state you believe or want to think, MJ use over time has been proven to cause detrimental cognitive effects. This problem will sort itself out. Some jackass pot smoker will come in for his shift in the ED stoned and a wrongful death suit from negligence will trigger random drug screening for all of us so this whole point will be moot.

This is false, you should not force your will on clean cut people who dabble occasionally after an exam or hard day at work. It does not automatically mean they could do better if they stopped. Although I agree most people who smoke tend to be undermotivated and not the overachiever type. But you don't have to worry about those people doing your heart surgery because they naturally do not pursue fields of that difficulty.

This is false, you should not force your will on clean cut people who dabble occasionally after an exam or hard day at work. It does not automatically mean they could do better if they stopped. Although I agree most people who smoke tend to be undermotivated and not the overachiever type. But you don't have to worry about those people doing your heart surgery because they naturally do not pursue fields of that difficulty.

the overachieving types usually do coke :laugh:

Or, if you smoke meth, you can be the overmotivated underachiever type.

All joking, dumb comments (there's too many to count on this thread) and insults aside, what you (most of you) dont grasp, or dont want to accept is that medicine is different than other careers. You're not a forklift driver who clocks in, clocks out and then goes on your way. You are a doctor while you are practicing, you are a doctor in the grocery store, at the ballfied with your kid, all the time. The public expects, and our profession demands the highest personal, ethical, moral character of the people allowed into it. You will see patients, nurses, other people out all the time that will judge your personal behavior and you damage your (and all doctors) credibility when you are involved in misconduct- whether at work or not. I have known people who I knew snorted coke at parties like once a month and they were under control and it didnt affect them. Some people can handle it. What if a doctor has a hobby with dogfighting out of work? what if someone is involved with the KKK on their own personal time? So i guess you're ok with that too. Comparing drugs to a traffic offense- stupid. Saying every pot smoker is a can't miss genious- get real. 99% of pot smokers are people riddled with personal problems. If anything, if someone special has this habit they are less than what they could be if they quit. I dont care what you state you believe or want to think, MJ use over time has been proven to cause detrimental cognitive effects. This problem will sort itself out. Some jackass pot smoker will come in for his shift in the ED stoned and a wrongful death suit from negligence will trigger random drug screening for all of us so this whole point will be moot.
You really do not understand the concepts of opinions do you?

yeah its called sarcasm because apparently smoking illegal drugs is the same as driving 48 mph in a 35 zone or not wearing a bicycle helmet. :rolleyes:
In terms of degrees of moral questionability, yes.

I'm 1000% ok with doctors doing whatever they want.

You wanna know why? Because they are still average ordinary people. I don't ever look at one physician out there in society as someone who is higher than the fork lifter driver. There's no reason to be honest. They are both still regular people in society.

That's like saying the president showing smoke weed in his spare time. Only old conservatives or grandmas/grandpas probably wouldn't like that. Same with doctors. I bet the people who would be shocked or stunned are in the vast minority.

And you are NOT a doctor everywhere you go. Ok technically you are, but then so is the fork lift driver. If I see someone who says this, I'd probably laugh in their face and think they are some weird tool >.>

You wanna know why? Because they are still average ordinary people. I don't ever look at one physician out there in society as someone who is higher than the fork lifter driver. There's no reason to be honest. They are both still regular people in society.

That's like saying the president showing smoke weed in his spare time. Only old conservatives or grandmas/grandpas probably wouldn't like that. Same with doctors. I bet the people who would be shocked or stunned are in the vast minority.

And you are NOT a doctor everywhere you go. Ok technically you are, but then so is the fork lift driver. If I see someone who says this, I'd probably laugh in their face and think they are some weird tool >.>

This. :thumbup:

:laugh: An errant pallet presents itself. A woman screams out, "Help, is anyone a forklift driver?!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, there's medical mistakes and then there's this.

[YOUTUBE]Y6FAOY6Pmpk[/YOUTUBE]

Advantage: forklift driver.

^ And that is why we have insurance.

Who was the attending, sirenomelia?

xD

I would probably roll my eyes at attendings that feel happy for kicking people out for something as silly as hitting a bong. Those are probably the attendings people make fun of for their bubble butt anyway in the student lounge :D

And whoknows2012 is pretty spot on. The two attendings(who are probably intelligent smart physicians) are stuck in this 1950s mode...well ok one of them is probably in their 50s so that could make sense :O
Sironmelia seems to think doctors are SUPPOSED to be role models. Not everyone. Tons of doctors are not ideal for modeling good behavior, and that's understandable. It is simply, merely, a job. A job with high stakes, but a job.

BUT, they might not know that there are probably attendings/residents right now who smoke in their free time, come to work and do amazing. And even if they are in the grocery store and someone knows they smoked in their spare non-working time, they aren't gonna scoff them. Unless they live in some hick rural town where everyone knows who you sleep with. 95% of people you'll ever see, they will never know you are a doctor. People probably look at those two attendings and think they could be accountants, health care workers, bums, hookers, whatever. And even in those towns(which most people are probably innocent nice folk), if someone was dying in the grocery, they would have not hesitate to let the stoner doctor handle it.

And I have to put a disclaimer: Not everyone who defends mild marijuana use partakes in it. I don't use it at all, but like with a bunch of things in life, I am a highly open minded person and highly tolerable of different things. This is one of them. I've never hit the bong in my life(i prefer to either drink or just watch xD) but if someone says they did MJ, I don't treat them/look at them differently.

Last edited:
xD

I would probably roll my eyes at attendings that feel happy for kicking people out for something as silly as hitting a bong. Those are probably the attendings people make fun of for their bubble butt anyway in the student lounge :D

And whoknows2012 is pretty spot on. The two attendings(who are probably intelligent smart physicians) are stuck in this 1950s mode...well ok one of them is probably in their 50s so that could make sense :O
Sironmelia seems to think doctors are SUPPOSED to be role models. Not everyone. Tons of doctors are not ideal for modeling good behavior, and that's understandable. It is simply, merely, a job. A job with high stakes, but a job.

BUT, they might not know that there are probably attendings/residents right now who smoke in their free time, come to work and do amazing. And even if they are in the grocery store and someone knows they smoked in their spare non-working time, they aren't gonna scoff them. Unless they live in some hick rural town where everyone knows who you sleep with. 95% of people you'll ever see, they will never know you are a doctor. People probably look at those two attendings and think they could be accountants, health care workers, bums, hookers, whatever. And even in those towns(which most people are probably innocent nice folk), if someone was dying in the grocery, they would have not hesitate to let the stoner doctor handle it.

And I have to put a disclaimer: Not everyone who defends mild marijuana use partakes in it. I don't use it at all, but like with a bunch of things in life, I am a highly open minded person and highly tolerable of different things. This is one of them. I've never hit the bong in my life(i prefer to either drink or just watch xD) but if someone says they did MJ, I don't treat them/look at them differently.

Bolding mine for emphasis.

This seems to be a mindset that only those secure in their medical (school) positions can safely espouse. I totally agree with you. I'm just saying.

I've never understood why fighting disease requires one to be morally upstanding at all times, full stop.

I've never understood why fighting disease requires one to be morally upstanding at all times, full stop.

The people who think this are, IMO, likely the same people who see themselves as angels on earth because they have the skills and ability to make people feel better. It's an ego-supporting viewpoint.

The people who think this are, IMO, likely the same people who see themselves as angels on earth because they have the skills and ability to make people feel better. It's an ego-supporting viewpoint.

start sarcasm.

We wouldn't want to have any doctors who are confident in their abilities, so obviously we should punish them for their moral shortcomings even though it might not have any impact on their abilities as a doctor, such as smoking MJ in their personal time. end sarcasm.

Very well said. I, for one, love how liberal this board is :). You can really see the contrast between the doctors of yesterday and the doctors of tomorrow. Progress baby, progress!

Very well said. I, for one, love how liberal this board is :). You can really see the contrast between the doctors of yesterday and the doctors of tomorrow. Progress baby, progress!

There are conservative people on this board as well. They come out of the woodwork reasonably often.

Of course there are. There's been plenty of them in this thread. I, personally, didn't know there was this many liberals here though. You would think a pre-med forum would be overrun by conservatives lol.

I disagree.

I don't think that physicians need to be perfect role models. I am not opposed to personal, private use of weed. But I think we should not just dismiss what other people think about you so you can do whatever you want. You should care what your patients think about you, and you should be mindful of the image you are presenting.

This isn't just the case for doctors. Look at pro athletes. They keep saying that they don't want to be role models. Too bad. They are. But this argument extends to other jobs too. Take, for instance, a school bus driver. What if whenever you saw this person outside of work, they were completely drunk. Now, they've never gotten a DUI, and they have never had problems at work. Would you still feel fine with sending your kids on the bus? I know you are going to say they can do whatever as long as it doesn't interfere with work. But, I don't really believe you ;). And what if one day, their hangover is worse than normal and they end up intoxicated and driving.

That's the problem with the "whatever outside of work" philosophy. In many cases, it starts to blend in with work, especially when we are talking about addictive substances (yeah, yeah, yeah weed isn't addictive I know but I'm talking more generally here).

Again, we don't all need to be perfect angels outside of work, but in many cases, what we do outside of work sends an image to other people. And it could very well end up affecting work. Maybe the patient sees you drunk outside the hospital and refuses to accept your counseling on their alcohol issues. We've debated the obese doctor counseling obese patients on this thread. While it shouldn't matter, I'm sure it does have some effect on how the patient responds.

tl;dr: You may not think of yourself as a role model, and you may not want to be. But you are, and what you do could affect your work and your patients. Again, I don't have a problem with minor things (personal weed use, enjoying a night out once and a while) but you should be aware of the image you are projecting.

I disagree.

I don't think that physicians need to be perfect role models. I am not opposed to personal, private use of weed. But I think we should not just dismiss what other people think about you so you can do whatever you want. You should care what your patients think about you, and you should be mindful of the image you are presenting.

This isn't just the case for doctors. Look at pro athletes. They keep saying that they don't want to be role models. Too bad. They are. But this argument extends to other jobs too. Take, for instance, a school bus driver. What if whenever you saw this person outside of work, they were completely drunk. Now, they've never gotten a DUI, and they have never had problems at work. Would you still feel fine with sending your kids on the bus? I know you are going to say they can do whatever as long as it doesn't interfere with work. But, I don't really believe you ;). And what if one day, their hangover is worse than normal and they end up intoxicated and driving.

That's the problem with the "whatever outside of work" philosophy. In many cases, it starts to blend in with work, especially when we are talking about addictive substances (yeah, yeah, yeah weed isn't addictive I know but I'm talking more generally here).

Again, we don't all need to be perfect angels outside of work, but in many cases, what we do outside of work sends an image to other people. And it could very well end up affecting work. Maybe the patient sees you drunk outside the hospital and refuses to accept your counseling on their alcohol issues. We've debated the obese doctor counseling obese patients on this thread. While it shouldn't matter, I'm sure it does have some effect on how the patient responds.

tl;dr: You may not think of yourself as a role model, and you may not want to be. But you are, and what you do could affect your work and your patients. Again, I don't have a problem with minor things (personal weed use, enjoying a night out once and a while) but you should be aware of the image you are projecting.
But that argument only works for a small town. I was an inner city teacher for several years and ran into my students only several times altogether.

But that argument only works for a small town. I was an inner city teacher for several years and ran into my students only several times altogether.

True, but you also never know.

You may have only run into your students only rarely, but do you think those rare situations could have changed how the students perceived you?

A rumor of a drunk teacher spreading through the school could have a big impact.

You may have only run into your students only rarely, but do you think those rare situations could have changed how the students perceived you?

Not really. I mean when you say hi to someone in a grocery store doesn't seem to matter as much as how prepared you are to start a lesson. The reality was that there were several teachers who advocated that "community leader" (like go do stuff with your kids on Saturdays) approach but I kind of hated it because it distracted from what was important. Honestly, it was all about how good of a teacher you are and if you were excellent at presenting material and making kids learn it, they could care less about what you do in your free time. Many teachers seemed to miss that "be the best teacher you can be" part.

A rumor of a drunk teacher spreading through the school could have a big impact.

I find this to be really funny. I can probably count on fingers the number of teachers who didn't drink a lot among the hundreds I have met. I did some district work to so I happen to meet quite a few.

I would hope those students aren't close minded soccer mom produced drones...

Cause everyone knows adults over 21 drink alcohol at times. Not every adult but better see it now than later that a role model can play beer pong and kegstand too. Are people gonna think less of a doc who plays beer pong with his boys and takes shots? I sure hope people aren't that freaky and lame D:

I would hope those students aren't close minded soccer mom produced drones...

Cause everyone knows adults over 21 drink alcohol at times. Not every adult but better see it now than later that a role model can play beer pong and kegstand too. Are people gonna think less of a doc who plays beer pong with his boys and takes shots? I sure hope people aren't that freaky and lame D:

But see, this is my point. It doesn't matter what these people should think, it matters what they actually think. Part of being a good doctor is having people respect and trust you. The fact that a doctor is obese doesn't mean that his advice to lose weight is any less true, but do you think a thin doctor and obese doctor will get the same response from a patient when counseled about obesity?

And again, I don't advocate that you need to be perfect. Doing kegstands and shots with your buddies isn't a problem, but if you are doing them all the time or in places where lots of people may see you, that becomes more of an issue. You should be mindful of how people may respond. This is true for doctors, and it's true for many other professions as well. You don't get to choose whether people look up to you or not.

I find this to be really funny. I can probably count on fingers the number of teachers who didn't drink a lot among the hundreds I have met. I did some district work to so I happen to meet quite a few.

Oh. I know teachers, and I know that they are probably the biggest partiers out there. Again, there is a way to be responsible about it too. We've seen lots of teachers get in trouble with what they post on facebook (really, everyone these days gets in trouble for it). While you think that it is their personal life or whatever, students might not respond that way, and it could affect the classroom. That's why schools are cracking down. You may think that is bs, but not everyone does.

It's ok to have a personal life, just be mindful of your image. That's it.

I see what you mean. I guess we have no choice but to accept that there are preconceived notions about our profession.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if I saw a teacher running around naked in the streets, especially after trying to teach middle/high school kids :p
Or thinking of any doctor as a role model, just because they are a doctor.n. But, that's just because I don't ever get impressed by job titles and care more about the actual character. Meaning, I don't give a **** if someone wants me to be impressed cause they are an XXX, back that **** up!

I see what you mean. I guess we have no choice but to accept that there are preconceived notions about our profession.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if I saw a teacher running around naked in the streets, especially after trying to teach middle/high school kids :p
Or thinking of any doctor as a role model, just because they are a doctor.n. But, that's just because I don't ever get impressed by job titles and care more about the actual character. Meaning, I don't give a **** if someone wants me to be impressed cause they are an XXX, back that **** up!

I agree, but we do have to accept that people do expect their physicians to act in a certain way. Add it to the always-growing list of sacrifices.

It's very hard to separate public from private life. Even those who advocate the separation probably underestimate how decisions in their private life affect their public or work life. And I think this is true not only based on how people view you but also in your own actions. It's common to see people think they have something under control in their private life and they don't realize the problem until it has hurt their work life. Very common with alcohol.

Don't use marijuana if you want to be a physician... just don't. Lots of people think the whole medical marijuana thing is crap, let alone purely recreational use. Anyone finds out, you could be in big trouble! Not worth it, not to mention the fact that you would not be at your best for everything else.

Don't use marijuana if you want to be a physician... just don't. Lots of people think the whole medical marijuana thing is crap, let alone purely recreational use. Anyone finds out, you could be in big trouble! Not worth it, not to mention the fact that you would not be at your best for everything else.

The man speaks truth. While it really should not be a big deal, it is illegal. You will all get to a point in your life where the risks of losing everything are far greater than the benefits of getting high.

I love the certainty in this thread conflating what is "fair" and what is increasingly socially acceptable with what is legal and without risk for a physician.

A friend of mine got a DUI in college. He had another career before medicine and the DUI was 20 years in the past when he finished med school. He has to go see a drug and EtOH counselor every time his license is up for renewal (q2 years) in his somewhat conservative midwestern state. If that is how they treat EtOH, imagine the way they will treat *gasp* marijuana.

Marijuana use is a violation of federal drug laws. The federal government controls the power to rx a large number of very important medications and does not have to give (ok sell) you that precious piece of paper. Various state licensing boards and hospital credentialing organizations will also take a dim view of marijuana use. They believe you are more likely to divert if you are willing to cross the line and use illegal drugs.

If the question is about risk...it's risky. If you think getting high is worth the risk, so be it.

Dope smokers shouldnt take care of patients. Do I need to spell it out for you? Recreational MJ use is illegal and if you're caught you will lose your license to practice. If you're having pause to weigh in your mind on one the one hand giving up marijuanna vs circumventing federal law to persist your drug habit then do something else.

:thumbup: Yessir. Pursuing a career as a physician is a higher calling in my opinion. If you want to be able to smoke pot and be employed, climb the corporate ladder of your local Pizza Hut. Get it together, OP. People like you have no business being in medicine.

:thumbup: Yessir. Pursuing a career as a physician is a higher calling in my opinion. If you want to be able to smoke pot and be employed, climb the corporate ladder of your local Pizza Hut. Get it together, OP. People like you have no business being in medicine.

Lol. Are you going to be a great and honorable healer? I swear some people just aren't in touch with reality...

Dope smokers shouldnt take care of patients. Do I need to spell it out for you? Recreational MJ use is illegal and if you're caught you will lose your license to practice. If you're having pause to weigh in your mind on one the one hand giving up marijuanna vs circumventing federal law to persist your drug habit then do something else.

I'm in touch with reality and as well as the law. This guy couldn't have said it better.^

I'm in touch with reality and as well as the law. This guy couldn't have said it better.^

You just said two totally different things. Sure, I'll agree that smoking is a large career risk for a physician. However, I think the notion that smoking makes you morally unqualified to be a doctor is rather silly. Being a physician is not "a higher calling", it is a job. It may be an important job, but merely a job none the less.

Then why did you quote that grandpa attending? You might be in touch with reality, but that dude is so far out of reality, like he didn't join the 2000s yet D:

I don't think he and Danbo knows that a bunch of the people they work with probably does these kinda things in their spare time :p

And I agree. It is a job, just like with teachers, engineers, fork lift drivers, yada yada. Being a doctor does not make you better than others at all. But like it was mentioned, people view docs as role models, so I guess that's what is ingrained into society's head. I don't think I have viewed doctors to be even close to gods lol But it seems the general public does...

You just said two totally different things. Sure, I'll agree that smoking is a large career risk for a physician. However, I think the notion that smoking makes you morally unqualified to be a doctor is rather silly. Being a physician is not "a higher calling", it is a job. It may be an important job, but merely a job none the less.

It depends on how serious you are about being a physician and the reasons you want to do so. I used that post as a reference to the legal problems one can encounter while smoking pot while as a physician. Its my opinion that it is morally wrong. If you really view being a doctor as just a job, then maybe you should be an engineer or get an 8-5 pencil pushing job. :laugh:.

It depends on how serious you are about being a physician and the reasons you want to do so. I used that post as a reference to the legal problems one can encounter while smoking pot while as a physician. Its my opinion that it is morally wrong. If you really view being a doctor as just a job, then maybe you should be an engineer or get an 8-5 pencil pushing job. :laugh:.

Don't see why pot smoking is morally wrong, but I guess that could be up for debate. And that last comment just points towards your own arrogance.

Don't see why pot smoking is morally wrong, but I guess that could be up for debate. And that last comment just points towards your own arrogance.

Again just opinion. Just like the morally right or wrong of smoking pot. Let me guess, you're an engineering major? :laugh:

It could be arrogant, but that won't stop me(and thousands of others) who love to pursue medicine as a career and STILL view it as a job. There are 10 other things in my life other than medicine, and like other professions, it's all about balance. Sure, I love going through this medical journey, but that's not the only thing I live and breathe. :)

Again just opinion. Just like the morally right or wrong of smoking pot. Let me guess, you're an engineering major? :laugh:

I am a biomedical engineer, and if I truly wanted to save the most lives then I would stay a biomedical engineer. Designing a device or drug would be a much greater medical asset than one doctor.

It could be arrogant, but that won't stop me(and thousands of others) who love to pursue medicine as a career and STILL view it as a job. There are 10 other things in my life other than medicine, and like other professions, it's all about balance. Sure, I love going through this medical journey, but that's not the only thing I live and breathe. :)

Not sure if you are referring to what I posted, but if so you misread it. I agree with you, and am pursing medicine because I believe I will really enjoy it and it will provide a good living.

Oh no, I meant to say that if you really view being a doctor as just a job, then maybe you should be an engineer or get an 8-5 pencil pushing job. could be seen as an arrogant thought process for someone to have.

Oh no, I meant to say that if you really view being a doctor as just a job, then maybe you should be an engineer or get an 8-5 pencil pushing job. could be seen as an arrogant thought process for someone to have.

Agreed :thumbup: