Marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're kind of right. Marijuana does not directly cause or lead to the development of schizophrenia in most users. However, if a person is predisposed to schizophrenia, then smoking marijuana (especially at a younger age) can speed up the development of the disorder.

To be honest, I really need to research the issue more. Just been soooooo busy lately.

Members don't see this ad.

to conclude,
the most dangerous thing about smoking weed is probably the damage to your lungs, there is also risk of changes in psychology which you should be mindful of for cannabis. Science carries on, applicable in all dimensions :smuggrin:

Getting high alone means you might have a problem with MJ use? Please.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos and brevity)

Reactions: 1 user
If you are not predisposed towards schizophrenia, weed is not likely to have any effect in that sense. Even the studies which do link schizophrenia and pot are hardly authoritative. IMO, get high, work hard not at the same time.

It's just an example of historical racism that Marijuana is illegal while alcohol is not. Marijuana is 100x better for you than alcohol. You can never die from smoking weed, ever. That's a fact. You are also not likely to kill anything while high (except maybe a whole bag of Doritos). Alcohol leads to many deaths (both of others and the drinker himself). Yet alcohol is legal in the US. Why? Because traditionally white people have gotten drunk while blacks and Mexicans smoke weed. If you don't believe me, do your own research... or remain ignorant. I really don't care.

Anyone who thinks that smoking Marijuana and practicing medicine cannot possibly be part of the same lifestyle is a pathetic excuse for an educated individual. Get real, do some research, and ****ing blow me.
I'd say its less about racism and more about fear of the hemp industry cutting profits from others. I wonder who started the smear campaign...

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting high alone means you might have a problem with MJ use? Please.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos and brevity)

That's not what it says... I just thought I'd post a list of things to consider when deciding if marijuana has more control over your life than you want. I'm sure you could find better lists.

to conclude,
the most dangerous thing about smoking weed is probably the damage to your lungs, there is also risk of changes in psychology which you should be mindful of for cannabis. Science carries on, applicable in all dimensions :smuggrin:

Personally, I believe the greatest risk is psychological dependence. It definitely happens, and its a cyclical thing because you use it to relax and relieve yourself from stress but when you do it too frequently you start getting stressed because you aren't high and then you smoke to relieve that stress. This is the cycle that has led to the impression that pot smokers are stupid, because the only pot smokers that non-smokers know are the ones that have gotten into that cycle. For the non-pot smokers, you really have no clue how many people do it, users do not tell any non user about anyone who smokes, it's an unwritten code. There is literally no chance any of you could tell that I was high, you would have no clue. The only people you've ever seen acting really high, were people who do it like 3 times a year and have no tolerance to it. With no tolerance, one hit of marijuana is too much, you actually need to develop a tolerance to not be abusing the drug. The only people you know that smoke are the ones that don't care at all that you know, and those are typically the one's who are psychologically dependent and do nothing but smoke marijuana all day. Of course they're stupid, they don't spend time to educate themselves. However, this wouldn't prevent them from being a doctor, my mom knew a doctor that got busted with 48 plants for personal use only, the guy had been high his entire life since the age of 14 and was practicing. Kind of scary, but when you think about it, the guy was normal when he was high that's who he was and was in no way less competent, marijuana doesn't make you less competent, it can however eat up a lot of your time if you become psychologically dependent on it, and the lack of studying will make you less competent. The reason marijuana is the only drug I use is because alcohol is way too intense of a drug for me. It's insanely out of control, I have no inhibition or logical thought process and I feel terrible the next day because I poisoned myself. If I'm using a different drug because alcohol, the drug that is legal and everyone is fine with doctors using, is way to destructive and intense of a high for me, which drug is really the one we should be concerned about doctors using? I actually am concerned with the idea of doctors using marijuana simply for the fact that if they were using while working, no one would have any idea because it's not a debilitating drug. I wouldn't want my doctor to be high while preforming a surgery on me, I'd want him to be at the top of his game, which is not when he is high. Although, I'd take a doctor who smoked pot in his free time over a doctor who never has. They're more than likely the smarter doctor. If there are 2 doctors with identical scores, credentials, etc. I'll take the one who achieved those credentials and still had the time to smoke marijuana, that's the one who is smarter.

I agree. I rather smoke a blunt on a Friday night and chill out with a few friends rather than get wrecked at a bar. Who says i cant be doctor?

Lol anyone who knows the meaning of my username has to be an avid smoker themselves ;-)

Id say a good 25% of my class smokes on a regular basis. As far as drug tests go: it is pretty unlikely theyd give you the boot at most schools. More than likely youd be forced to go to some drug class etc. In fact I met a columbia dental student who tested pos for marijuana and ended up having to take some sort of class. Medical education isnt about giving people the boot over everything. The threat of expulsion over drug issues virtually ensures someone who has a problem isnt going to come forward to be treated for their issue. Granted Ive never met someone who finds weed to be a problem in their life lol.

Either way, smoking on occasion isnt going to be a huge issue unless you let it get out of control. Just dont be stupid!
I agree to that because me my self is a recreational marijuana user and i find it so useful, it makes my mind more creative in such a way i more express my ideas into a more deeper way.

What a weird bump.

A bit of a story, remembering the first time I tried the devil's asparagus, I was still a bright-eyed and innocent 15-year old kid. It was Friday after school and some of my friends were going on about a party. They asked if I was trying to get blazed, I initially declined, I grew up in a sheltered household so these kinds of things scared me. Anyway, they kept on pestering me to go party with them--I decided to join them. They picked me up later that night, I had to sneak out of the window so my dad wouldn't catch me. We went to the party but it wasn't a high school party as I had thought--it was a frat house party. People were drinking their brains out. Some were literally doing it in the bathroom. The music was banging. I tried dancing for a bit, I got with this really hot college chick, she took my hand and led me to "get down with her" but I was really awkward and chubby. People were twerking on each other, I literally had no idea what to do. I just tried to back away. Somehow, I ended up losing my friends in the house. To find solace, I saw a sofa that some people were passed out on. Just as I had sat, someone offered me a bong -- they were passing it around and everyone was taking hits. I didn't know what to do with it, one of the bros just urged me to inhale it and I did. I didn't feel anything in the first two hits, I took another hit and then it hit me. It felt like my head had suddenly filled up with air, I kind of lost control of my hearing momentarily--the loud music had disappeared and I just heard people cheering me on, in that moment, I felt like I was teleported in to the clouds, just floating. I took several long hits with them the entire party, and that was it--I was melting away but at the same time dreaming--the music had gone mute but I remember the frat bro telling me "you done good kid". I don't even remember getting home, I think my friend had found me passed out on the couch and carried me to the car. I think I slept for 14 hours, but when I woke up, I was so hungry. I must have ate everything in the house--even made a peanut butter and pickle sandwich because I had this really weird craving haha.

What a weird bump.

A bit of a story, remembering the first time I tried the devil's asparagus, I was still a bright-eyed and innocent 15-year old kid. It was Friday after school and some of my friends were going on about a party. They asked if I was trying to get blazed, I initially declined, I grew up in a sheltered household so these kinds of things scared me. Anyway, they kept on pestering me to go party with them--I decided to join them. They picked me up later that night, I had to sneak out of the window so my dad wouldn't catch me. We went to the party but it wasn't a high school party as I had thought--it was a frat house party. People were drinking their brains out. Some were literally doing it in the bathroom. The music was banging. I tried dancing for a bit, I got with this really hot college chick, she took my hand and led me to "get down with her" but I was really awkward and chubby. People were twerking on each other, I literally had no idea what to do. I just tried to back away. Somehow, I ended up losing my friends in the house. To find solace, I saw a sofa that some people were passed out on. Just as I had sat, someone offered me a bong -- they were passing it around and everyone was taking hits. I didn't know what to do with it, one of the bros just urged me to inhale it and I did. I didn't feel anything in the first two hits, I took another hit and then it hit me. It felt like my head had suddenly filled up with air, I kind of lost control of my hearing momentarily--the loud music had disappeared and I just heard people cheering me on, in that moment, I felt like I was teleported in to the clouds, just floating. I took several long hits with them the entire party, and that was it--I was melting away but at the same time dreaming--the music had gone mute but I remember the frat bro telling me "you done good kid". I don't even remember getting home, I think my friend had found me passed out on the couch and carried me to the car. I think I slept for 14 hours, but when I woke up, I was so hungry. I must have ate everything in the house--even made a peanut butter and pickle sandwich because I had this really weird craving haha.

:laugh:

I don't smoke marijuana. I also don't object to it. Pot is boring. It just made me laugh uncontrollably the one time I tried it.
Yeah being happy is boring jeez.

Being happy on drugs means that you are boring.

Marijuanna is illegal now. Period.

Federally illegal, but legal for recreational use in some states. If you are going to get up on your soap box and lambast everyone please be thorough about it.

Sincerely,
Another non-marijuana user who doesn't believe in spreading unfounded hysteria

If you don't have the fortitude to not smoke bud months in advance prior to and up to your schools drug test, then you probably care more about bud than medical school. In that case, you probably have a problem. Just don't smoke. End of story. Hell, I use to take drug tests for jobs and pass them all the time with certain drinks that help you pass, which can you buy from smoke shops, and not even I would risk failing a drug test for a medical school, even with those specialty drinks. Stop smoking and you won't have a problem.

Strong username-thread content ratio/10