Marine Officer (3.12 cGPA, 3.09sGPA, 514 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landon7765

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am posting today to get some advice on whether or not I should be applying this cycle. I am a non-traditional student who has been out of school for the past four years. I am a commissioned Marine Officer and have been serving as a platoon commander for two years. The end of my contract is December of 2020 and I have been debating on whether I should apply this cycle. With my low GPA but high MCAT, I feel very unsure if I should go all in or not. I am primarily concerned at if I have a shot at getting into DO schools, but I am definitely interested in MD as well. I really appreciate any opinions or advice, thanks!
  1. cGPA: 3.12 sGPA: 3.09
  2. MCAT: 514 (126,128,129,131)
  3. NM resident
  4. Ethnicity: White
  5. Undergraduate institution: New Mexico State University
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
II) Clinical Volunteering: 50 hours (Study Abroad Volunteer Peruvian Maternity Clinic)
III) Employment Medical/Clinical: 1200 hours (Emergency Department Scribe/EMT on Ambulance)
IV) Research experience: None
V) Shadow Experience: None Unless you include scribing
VI) Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours (study abroad Volunteer Peruvian orphanage volunteer)
VII) Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
1)Leadership/Work Experience: 3 Years as a Marine Officer (Top 20% of my Basic School Class)
-Lead a platoon of 54 Combat Engineer Marines during two different operations deployments.
2)Other Work Experience:
-1.5 years as a university peer educator for alcohol/drug abuse and domestic violence prevention.
-1.5 years working as a crisis line responded for a suicide/crisis hotline
VIII) Letters of Recommendation:
-2 MD Letters (One primary care, One Emergency Medicine)
-1 PA Letter (EM)
-1 Professional (My Battalion Commander)
-1 Academic (Physics Professor from me retaking at local community college)
IX) Hobbies: Photography, Scuba Diving, fitness, camping, hiking
X) I am currently enrolled in two courses from UCLA Extension (Developmental Bio and Fundamentals of Immunology) in order to show some recent academic success.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
New Mexico
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)

Thank you for your service to our country. I would reach out to the schools to see if they had accepted individuals similar to you in the recent past who you could talk to. You should also check about financial aid, GI Bill, and other options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your service to our country. I would reach out to the schools to see if they had accepted individuals similar to you in the recent past who you could talk to. You should also check about financial aid, GI Bill, and other options.

Thanks for the reply, I have been reaching out to a few of my top DO schools. My goal is definitely to find a school that I can pay a good chunk of tuition with my GI Bill. Definitely LECOM has been my favorite.

Reactions: 1 user
New Mexico
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)

Thanks for your reply! When it comes to alot those MD schools, they definitely seem out of my Lizzy M score or match my stats on MSAR. Are those schools known for rewarding non traditional reinvention or veteran applicants? Thanks

New Mexico
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
AZCOM
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
@Faha @Mr.Smile12 do you think the end date of his military contract being December 2020 would be a factor against applying this cycle? Thinking he may have trouble getting time off for interviews on short notice.

Thanks for your reply! When it comes to alot those MD schools, they definitely seem out of my Lizzy M score or match my stats on MSAR. Are those schools known for rewarding non traditional reinvention or veteran applicants? Thanks
Yes, some reward reinvention and veteran status is a plus at most schools.

I know you're out of state but I would strongly recommend applying to Texas A&M and both Texas Techs. They love veterans.

@Faha @Mr.Smile12 do you think the end date of his military contract being December 2020 would be a factor against applying this cycle? Thinking he may have trouble getting time off for interviews on short notice.

That is something that I have been concerned with as well. From my understanding the interview season is typically around August to November. How far in advance do you usually receive an invitation to the actual interview date?

I know you're out of state but I would strongly recommend applying to Texas A&M and both Texas Techs. They love veterans.

Really!? It seams like their average GPA and MCAT stats are way above my own, but I would definitely love to go! Maybe I will make them my "reach" schools. Any other super veteran friendly schools that you might be aware of?

That is something that I have been concerned with as well. From my understanding the interview season is typically around August to November. How far in advance do you usually receive an invitation to the actual interview date?
More like August to December & a few in January. If interviews are done “online“ like they have been the last several months during quarantine you might not have trouble. I would say you get 2-4 weeks notice early on but less later in the year. How flexible are day-off requests for you?

Maybe we can get comments from others who applied while on active duty - @Matthew9Thirtyfive , @SubSum87 @breachnkd ?

Last edited:
Really!? It seams like their average GPA and MCAT stats are way above my own, but I would definitely love to go! Maybe I will make them my "reach" schools. Any other super veteran friendly schools that you might be aware of?
When I interviewed at those places their interview dates were sponsored by the military/had extensive military presentations. They were the only schools I interviewed at that had anything like that.

Go read the mission of A&M, part is care of military. UT San Antonio is close to Lackland AFB/Joint Base San Antonio and a large number of incoming military and their families in the area.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should apply this season. Make sure you get some shadowing in, even if it’s 20 hours. Drop the PA letter. Don’t follow regular gpa/mcat data for making your school list. I think you definitely have a shot at MD school.

I think you should apply this season. Make sure you get some shadowing in, even if it’s 20 hours. Drop the PA letter. Don’t follow regular gpa/mcat data for making your school list. I think you definitely have a shot at MD school.

Thanks for the advice, it sounds good to hear that I may have a chance. Any thoughts on the school list I have made so far?

MD
UNM
EVMS
FAU
FIU
Miami
TCU/UNTHSC
Tulane
Wake Forest
GW
Georgetown
Nova
VCU
Texas Tech (El Paso and Lubbock)
Texas A&M
Dartmouth
Vermont

DO
AT Still
UIWSOM
Sam Houston
Western (Pomona/Lebanon)
Touro (CA/NV)
CHSU
RVU
LECOM (Bradenton/Elmira)
VCOM(Carolina/Virginia)
Campbell
Lincoln Memorial
Liberty
Pacific Northwest
Idaho
Burrell

Last edited:
You have some good choices. I’d add ETSU (look up their process to be counted as in-state as active duty/vet), UCF. What state are you a resident of? I think you have to complete a whole different app system for those Texas schools.

You have some good choices. I’d add ETSU (look up their process to be counted as in-state as active duty/vet), UCF. What state are you a resident of? I think you have to complete a whole different app system for those Texas schools.

I am a New Mexico Resident. I am stationed in California and I was thinking about contacting schools to see if I could be considered a California resident as a military member with orders there. Might be a long shot but it would add a couple of schools to the list.