Marquette news

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody hear any news from marquette lately?

thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by hockeydentist
anybody hear any news from marquette lately?

thanks again

Maybe you should check the other 3 threads you created about news from marquette instead of starting a new one.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't want to start any Canadian on Canadian violence now do we. Speaking of violence, what you think of the Bertuzi incident. Wow.

Bertuzzi had a massive brain fart. I didnt know they knew what hockey was in Houston. :D

Hockeydentist is a Canadian living in Texas as far as I can remember.

Dream, you gotta get "brain fart" out of your vocabulary instantly....it aint helping you bud!

About Bertuzzi....I'd bet my house that he sniffed a line of coke before the game with his hot wife....

Whats wrong with "brain fart"??:confused:

what are you...like 10 years old? Do you call people dickweed still?

Whats "dickweed"? A slang term for pubic hair?

Yes there is hockey down in Houston, AEROS, DALLAS STARS, you would be surprised. Even smaller markets as well, Juniors and even minor pro.

Not that I was totally awe struck by the hit by Bertuzzi, but if you have ever played any hockey, there is a such a thing as pay back. In this case the pay back was a little more than Moore wanted. After all he did take out the captain a few days back. I guess what comes around goes around. Where was the league officials in suspending Moore a few days ago? This would have never happened if the league would have stepped in a punished Moore for elbowing Naslund. What did they think was gonna happen. YEs Bertuzzi deserves a suspension, possible criminal charges.

Yeah, but Bertuzzi should of payed him back differently. Just look at the tape. Moore was skating away from him, Bertuzzi grabs his sweater, and gives him a roundhouse without Moore even knowing it.

The "honorable" thing to do would be to at least look him in the eye before he slugged him. That was plain gutless, regardless what Moore did to Naslund the week before.

There was a bounty put on Moore's head before that game, and Bertuzzi collected it the wrong way.

Like I said before, Bertuzzi had a massive BRAIN FART.

Dentaldream is such a gaylord

Gupta,

I hope you choose Tufts, that way I can pound the living snot out of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentaldream is such an asswipe...

EMailed Dr. T, stated that they do not have to go into the alternate pool yet, but expects to in May. Anybody else heard the samething or has anything to add.

Speaking of a lowsy day, my boys in Vancouver lost in a heartbreaking game 7. Damn you Jerome, All I can say is that it took a stud to win that game, and the flames had a stud that night. Good luck next round. :thumbup:

You must be happy, with your boys in toronto, do they know how to take care of business in GAME 7. Like Don Cherry says, all you need is a hot goalie and a healthy team to go far in the playoffs. baby. Eddie the EAGLE is on fire :D

hockeydentist said:
Anybody else heard the samething or has anything to add.
FWIW I just withdrew my name from the alternate list. So that's one less person for you to compete with if and when spots do open up.

Good luck, hockeydentist.

Damn straight Im happy.....There was a huge party last night in downtown Toronto until midnight.....and we only won the first series!!!!!! HOCKEYTOWN BABY......HOCKEYTOWN!!!!!!

and Im even more happy about playing the team from the city IM goign to dental school in.....Ive been ranting to the Temple admin all day through emails about this series.....Brian Hahn, the head of recruitment said he is trying to get tickets to the game tomorrow....you guys dont understand....Toronto and Philly absolutely hate each other when it comes to hockey....we got a history. Philly is definitely a great team and its gonna be tough but its also GONNA BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

EAGLE BABY.....EAGLE!

I will give the edge to the LEafs, I can see this series going to a game 7 as well, with the Leafs on top. I not totally sold with Esche in net for the Flyers. Considering the Flyers could take Burke out of the toy box and play.

hockeydentist

GO COOGS!!!!! Nice to see more Canadians at the U of H, what year did you grad or have you? Have any of the Texas school sent you anything?

As far as texas schools, two rejections and a no show from UT houston

I can only imagine it will be a rejection. Don't know what is taking them so long to send a letter. May first is around the corner and they still have sent me anything. May first is also the start date to apply again in TEXAs for the next years class.

Are there any Wisconsin residents that currently have their deposit at Marquette, have decided to go to another school, but haven't told them yet? Or are there any WI residents accepted to Marquette and now planning to change thier mind and go to another school?

You should, you know. If you are a WI residents planning on going to Marquette, you should change your mind. Everyone knows the students at the Marquette Dental School are snobbish and the professors all treat the students poorly. Milwaukee itself is a crappy place to live. It's dirty and the people are rude. You should not go to Marquette if you are a WI resident.

However, if you aren't a WI resident, then it doesn't matter.

katiw said:
Are there any Wisconsin residents that currently have their deposit at Marquette, have decided to go to another school, but haven't told them yet? Or are there any WI residents accepted to Marquette and now planning to change thier mind and go to another school?

You should, you know. If you are a WI residents planning on going to Marquette, you should change your mind. Everyone knows the students at the Marquette Dental School are snobbish and the professors all treat the students poorly. Milwaukee itself is a crappy place to live. It's dirty and the people are rude. You should not go to Marquette if you are a WI resident.

HAHHAHA......seems like someone really wants to get off the Marquette waitlist! I dont know if your weak argument is gonna sway people just so you can get off the waitlist and get accepted...try another tactic! :laugh:

Have you talked To Dr. Trecek, I emailed him a couple of days ago, he stated that there could be movement in MAy,

You guys know the post was a joke (half joke? ;) ).

katiw said:

ok, I do realize that this is a joke....however, I would somewhat agree with the post if it were serious. I *STILL* don't understand all the hype about Marquette. Yeah, I would have gone there had it been the only school I got into, but I just don't think it is all that it's cracked up to be. Truth be told, I did not even want to apply there because it was at the bottom of my list and I was pretty confident I could get in elsewhere.....

If you have no ties in WI (ie location is not that important to you) I would not recommend going there, WI resident or not.

Also, they say that WI residents get a tuition break, but this is minimal and it is not guaranteed to be there in the coming years. Our state thought (and maybe still thinks) that UW-Madison has a dental school so there is no need to subsidize Marquette's tuition. Funny, huh? Every school I got into was cheaper than or equal in price to Marquette (granted I got lots of scholarship offers...). Therefore, I saw NO financial benefits by going there.

And I know of instances where applicants paid their way in (yes, I realize that this probably happens everywhere). To me, the place seems to be some sort of cult.

My interview day was fun (the other applicant I was with was cool, as were our tour guides...plus I got to go out to dinner afterwards and then went to see the White Stripes at the Rave). However, DURING my interview they seemed to look at my research experience as a negative, since their school was not "research-oriented". It was like they were against people going above and beyond the minimal requirements. The funny thing is that I never said that I wanted to devote my life to research, or even go full speed ahead with it in dental school. And they gave me a hard time about my PAT score (which is above their average....oh, the irony). NO OTHER SCHOOL GAVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT MY PAT. ALL OTHER SCHOOLS COMPLIMENTED ME ON MY SCORES!!!! MARQUETTE DID NOT MENTION MY (GOOD) GPA AND DAT SCORES, ONLY MY "BAD" PAT SCORE.....WTF. They also were overly concerned with what other schools I had applied to and WHY I applied there. Almost the entire interview was devoted to why I applied to these other apparently "inferior" schools......give me a break. I thought the purpose of the interview was to get to know ME

My intent with this post is not solely to bash Marquette. It is to tell WI residents to broaden their horizons. As I said before, Marquette is pretty cultish and ppl in WI think that it is the only dental school in the world. When people find out that I'm not gong to Marquette they give me this look like I am "below Marquette standards". hahaha, all I can do is laugh
Please do yourselves a favor and investigate other schools- you will see that Marquette does not compare to most schools out there.

and sorry if I offended anyone- that was not my intent
peace

I gotta agree with you totally pixies. I used to be one that really wanted to go to Marquette (I am a WI resident). My views have changed drastically however. All they seem to care about is their "image". They are not concerned with their students. Their science education is pretty dismal compared to most dental schools. They are understaffed in the clinics. I too was rebuked for having lots of research experience and I have no intentions of researching in dental school. I was criticized for my high DAT scores. They told me the DAT is pretty pointless as it is only "one test on one day" and if you study hard enough you can do really well on it (isn't that the point of taking a test?) They would much rather choose students with high GPAs from undergrad schools that are easier than the high school I went to. This school is downright scary and very unprofessional. The only thing they have going for them is their new sim lab. I am really glad I found out about this before making a bad decision and going to Marquette. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

P.S. Hockeydentist it is Mr. Trecek, not Dr. Trecek

Do any of you know what the average GPA and DAT scores are for WI residents accepted to Marquette?...higher/lower than the out-of-staters?? Thanks!

hockeydentist said:
As far as texas schools, two rejections and a no show from UT houston

I can only imagine it will be a rejection. Don't know what is taking them so long to send a letter. May first is around the corner and they still have sent me anything. May first is also the start date to apply again in TEXAs for the next years class.

Not to give you false hope or anything, I just wanted to tell you and other TX applicants that UTH was late with EVERYthing when I applied. From the letter saying that they had my stuff(I got that in late September, AFTER I'd already had two interviews), the letter for interview, which was almost two months after Baylor and 3 months after UTSA. Also, they didn't let me know I had an interview until about a week and a half before it, so my plane ticket from Arkansas was more expensive. Even the acceptance letter was about a week later than the other two.
Another story(same year, 04 App cycle), my buddy called UTH because they had not sent him a letter telling him his file was complete. He called the school and they gave him some crap about his rec letters(which, BTW, were acceptable to UTSA and Baylor). He later found out that it was an internal error on the part of UTH. The problem was fixed and it turns out UTH was the only school that accepted him outright. He got waitlisted at Baylor and UTSA(he ended up off the waitlist with me at Baylor).

Right now, I am feelin a little hatin goin on about Marquette. Right now I have no choice but to love Marquette. I think the best school is the school that takes you. So right now I hope in the near future that MArquette does take me, if they do that well, marquette will be the best damn dental school on the planet. Regardless of the money involved. Marquette is allowing me to full fill my dream of becoming a dentist. So if the school is not all that it has cracked up to be, well then when I get there (I hope) I will do everything humanly possible to change that image that Marquette has.

Note to people that bash other schools, when you write I am not on here to bash. Give me a break. Don't write this crap. If your going to bash a school, have some balls about it and bash but don't put any (I am not on here to bash another school crap). Such a lawsuit based world now. HAve to have some type of clause in our arguement.

hockeydentist said:
Right now, I am feelin a little hatin goin on about Marquette. Right now I have no choice but to love Marquette. I think the best school is the school that takes you. So right now I hope in the near future that MArquette does take me, if they do that well, marquette will be the best damn dental school on the planet. Regardless of the money involved. Marquette is allowing me to full fill my dream of becoming a dentist. So if the school is not all that it has cracked up to be, well then when I get there (I hope) I will do everything humanly possible to change that image that Marquette has.

Note to people that bash other schools, when you write I am not on here to bash. Give me a break. Don't write this crap. If your going to bash a school, have some balls about it and bash but don't put any (I am not on here to bash another school crap). Such a lawsuit based world now. HAve to have some type of clause in our arguement.

Dont buy into this bashing hockeydentist.....I dont know anything about Marquette, but it seems quite obvious that these people are bashing Marquette with the hopes that people reconsider their acceptences so they can get accepted and off the waiting list. Pathetic.

My impression of Marquette was very good (I'm not from Wisconsin, BTW). The facilities are top-notch and everyone I met from both the faculty and student body were extremely friendly. Sure, Milwaukee isn't the greatest city in the world, but it's cheap and there's still a lot more to do there than in your typical rural campus.

I wouldn't worry about the negative comments, hockeydentist. Every dental school has its share of detractors. I, OTOH, am sure you can get a great education at Marquette and have a lot of fun along the way.

avingupta said:
Dont buy into this bashing hockeydentist.....I dont know anything about Marquette, but it seems quite obvious that these people are bashing Marquette with the hopes that people reconsider their acceptences so they can get accepted and off the waiting list. Pathetic.
That's funny, because the last time I checked I wasn't even on the waitlist at Marquette. I have known where I am going to school next year since December. And I'm pretty sure dr_benj is dead set on Minnesota and is not on the waitlist at Marquette either.

And Hockeydentist- I do hope you get it because it seems as though this school is your last chance. Remember, I did say that if Marquette had been the only school I got into I would have gone there. Good luck!

Also, Hockeydentist- I did admit that I was bashing Marquette. I said "My intent with this post is not solely to bash Marquette.", thus acknowledging that I did bash it. However, my main reason was to tell WI residents that THERE ARE OTHER SCHOOLS OUT THERE BESIDES MARQUETTE!! I'm trying to do WI residents a favor by suggesting that they seriously investigate other schools. I have talked to students at Marquette who don't really like it and regret going there without doing their research first. Obviously, I have not attended each dental school, so I don't have first hand knowledge of what each school is really like. However, I went on 9 interviews and I definitely was least impressed by Marquette. I could go on and on about this, but I think you get the point.....

Marquette thinks their pooh doesn't stink. They can't even keep faculty at the school because their is so much friction. :confused:

I take it you also had a bad experience with Marquette. I noticed on another thread that your going to NYU. Can you please go into more detail of why there is so much friction at Marquette.
Were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected/did not even apply.

thanks
HD

HD-

I mailed you privately.

Everyone else:
I appreciate that every school has it's challenges. However, living in Milwaukee for the past three years (and taking courses w/ the dental school, working across the street, and working with various MDS grads) has exposed me to a lot of Marquette's Dental School dilemmas. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity to have the same interactions when they get the 2 cent tour on their visit.

I have written and re-written this message a gazillion times, and have decided, that if I can't say anything nice, I won't say anything at all. I have had a lot of personal experieces with the dental school and it's graduates. All of these experieces have left me with a not-so-happy-feeling about Marquette. I am sure there are a lot of people who are happy with the school. kudos. it's just not for me. Until Marquette puts its $$ where their mouth is, I will keep it at #56 on my dental school list.

If I don't come of the waitlist this year, does that mean I would get a leg up on the competion next year's cycle. Does anybody know

HD

Marquette "looks favorably" at waitlisted candidates re-applying the next year. However, I know someone who didn't get in until he applied the third time.

LB

i'm not applying until 2007 (fall 2007 begin) and I am a wisco resident. marquette is technically my "state" school, but it's private and they told me my 20 credits of CC courses is not acceptable and in secret Marquette code basically said "you have no shot in hell with CC credits" (if you read this woodsy, there's your justice). my plan is to take a year off inbetween undergrad and Dschool and move to either minnesota, nevada, or arizona to get into either UM, UNLV, or Zona. Zona is a private school though right so residency won't matter?

What do you all think of that plan (move to state i want to go to school, gain residency, get more experience, etc)?

also, you wisco pre-dents, what's up, send me a private message, i'd like to make more contacts in the state who are pre-dents or dental students. i know of only one other person (personally) that wants a future in the field and she is going to Minnesota next year (and will most likely be tops in the class).

Anyone out there been accepted to Marquette and paid deposit, yet are going to another school? If so, are you a WI resident?

Maybe it would be worth listening to someone who spent 4 years at Marquette rather than a couple of predents who had an interview there or have heard a lot of hearsay.

In my opinion, marquette is an average school. When it comes to faculty - I would say its just like any other school - you have the good; you have the bad and you have all the politics that go with being a faculty. Basic Sciences courses were good - I got a 92 on part 1 boards so they couldn't have been that bad; and in my opinion the Biochem prof was amazing. Clinical Courses and pre-clinic were also not bad - I think we were one of the only classes to have a fixed pros program in first year. I was also able to pass CRDTS on my first attempt along with 99% of my class.

Dental school is only supposed to give you a good introduction to the basics.
I have learned much more this year than I ever did in school. I would recommend a GPR to anyone graduating from any dental school.

yeah, the school has its problems but it served its purpose for me.

good post Dr.Rob, but we aren't talking about the school in regard to curriculum or education. we, or atleast myself, are talking about the getting into the school part. i'm right on board with the it's a dental school, teaches you the basics, and gets you ready to be a dentist. 90% of th dentists i know came from Marquette, the other 10% Minnesota. i guess i'm just bitter that i "have no chance" of being admitted due to my CC credits, especially since it is my state school and my connections to numerous Marquette alumni. oh well, what can you do, their loss.

is there anything specific that marquette is looking for compared to other schools?

gpa and no CC credits, you could have an average DAT.

Have you applied yet to dental school this year? Can't remeber if you did or not. When you mean CC, do you mean the courses that are required for admission into dental school or someone who just takes CC classes in general would not have a chance of admission into dental school.

Reason I ask is that I took one class in CC (english) and that did not seem to be a promblem. Waitlisted and all, I wish I applied to my out of state schools earlier. Damnit. Then again it was just one class, the rest of the classes were taken at a UNIVERSITY.

haven't applied yet and not doing so for a couple years. but i have been in contact with marquette. from one of their admissions people, they said "taking ANY courses from a CC will significantly hurt your admission chances and competitiveness as an applicant."

Translation : you have no shot or near to none.

then i got into a like a 3 email rather heated exchange with the guy trying to explain that the CC credits should be fine and the DAT would prove whether or no I would be capable as a dental student. maybe they do accept CC credits though? But I was told in oh so many words that my 20 credits of lower division CC credits would make me a pointless applicant. Funny to me too since i'm taking my Bio II, Ochem I and II, anatomy, physiology, exercise physiology, 4 different upper level psychs, biochem, and other upper level sciences at my University. i hate talking about Marquette.

Anybody got any news, lately. How bout them Flames, who would thought Calgary had some game. I thought after Macdonald left, hockey was dead in Calgary. Way too go JErome Ignila.

hd

I grew up in WI and am planning a trip up there next month to visit the school. Do any of you know any current SDNers that are enrolled there?

Dorm or apartments for dental school students