Married during Application Cycle: Name Change Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fernweh2438

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

There have been a few similar threads to this, but nothing too helpful or recent, so I am trying it again....

I just got married after completing my secondaries and registering for one interview date. I have not yet changed my name on my social security card or drivers license to reflect my new last name. Any advice on what order to do this in? I was thinking I would wait until I enroll in a school to say I changed your name, but I wouldn't want them to think I lacked initiative - I just figure it saves us both the headache of changing things. Also this creates other problems because I need to change my IDs over for work, insurance, etc, and waiting until I enroll in a school isn't ideal. So, I was thinking about only letting schools know as they invite me for an interview. No sense in bothering schools with the change if I am not going to get an interview anyway.

Thoughts??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, I applied for DO and MD, so advice for either would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

There have been a few similar threads to this, but nothing too helpful or recent, so I am trying it again....

I just got married after completing my secondaries and registering for one interview date. I have not yet changed my name on my social security card or drivers license to reflect my new last name. Any advice on what order to do this in? I was thinking I would wait until I enroll in a school to say I changed your name, but I wouldn't want them to think I lacked initiative - I just figure it saves us both the headache of changing things. Also this creates other problems because I need to change my IDs over for work, insurance, etc, and waiting until I enroll in a school isn't ideal. So, I was thinking about only letting schools know as they invite me for an interview. No sense in bothering schools with the change if I am not going to get an interview anyway.

Thoughts??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, I applied for DO and MD, so advice for either would be helpful.

In the same boat here. I got home from my honeymoon, had 3 days to prep, and flew out for my first interview! I am just holding off on the legal name change until things calm down in January/February, as that's how this cycle is looking for me. Additionally I have travel booked in my maiden name for interviews and wouldn't want to risk a hold up at the DMV or Social Security making me have to change my interview date. I asked one of the schools and they said as long as you change it with the app service (AACOMAS, AMCAS, TMDSAS) it will go through the system, but she also told me to give them a heads up via email/official update.

Also it will only matter to the school which you end up attending, so maybe if you get a few acceptances, let them know so they won't forget who you are when you deposit your $$ :)

In the same boat here. I got home from my honeymoon, had 3 days to prep, and flew out for my first interview! I am just holding off on the legal name change until things calm down in January/February, as that's how this cycle is looking for me. Additionally I have travel booked in my maiden name for interviews and wouldn't want to risk a hold up at the DMV or Social Security making me have to change my interview date. I asked one of the schools and they said as long as you change it with the app service (AACOMAS, AMCAS, TMDSAS) it will go through the system, but she also told me to give them a heads up via email/official update.

Also it will only matter to the school which you end up attending, so maybe if you get a few acceptances, let them know so they won't forget who you are when you deposit your $$ :)

So you haven't changed your name legally at all yet? Or is your new name on your marriage certificate, you just haven't changed anything else yet?

So you haven't changed your name legally at all yet? Or is your new name on your marriage certificate, you just haven't changed anything else yet?
In my state you don't change it on the marriage cert, you do it separately with Social Security, then the DMV. So no, I have not legally done it yet. Just Facebook and socially.