Maryland vs. Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calicha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 days left to make a decision, and I am at the end of my sanity - although I'm very fortunate to have options at all, of course. The decision is complicated due to finances.

UMD:
- Loved the school, fantastic program and excellent residency placements, strong research.
- Love the city, plus my significant other lives in Baltimore. Also have many friends and some family there.
- Easy access to many other local hospitals for rotations.
- It's on the East Coast, and I would really prefer staying in this geographic region.

Cons:
- Letter grades all 4 years. Most students I've talked to wish they didn't have to deal with this, and say that it added stress. Also just a generally more stressful atmosphere, it seems like an old-school 'put in your dues' program.
- Extremely expensive for me. I am out of state, so the first year I'd need a minimum of about $85k in loans. I'd be looking at a total of about $265k in loans for 4 years at UMD.
- They still have not given me a financial aid award, and I probably won't get one by April 30th. But I don't think they give any merit or need-based aid anyways.

Wake Forest
Pros:
- Loved the school and student body when I visited, everyone seemed very happy.
- Brand new medical school building, great facilities.
- They gave me a 40k/year scholarship, so I would only need to take out about 35k/year in loans. Low cost of living too, so looking at a total of about $140k in loans for 4 years.

Cons:
- I hate the location. It's a tiny city in the middle of nowhere in NC, with a pretty small hospital. Fewer opportunities to see interesting cases, etc.
- Lower ranked than UMD
- Worse residency placements than UMD
- My significant other cannot move here, as there are no jobs for him in Winston Salem. I'd be looking at doing a long-distance relationship for 4 years.

So essentially: is it worth paying an extra $125k in loans to go to the school I like more / stay in the same city as my significant other and friends/family?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

"- I hate the location. It's a tiny city in the middle of nowhere in NC, with a pretty small hospital. Fewer opportunities to see interesting cases, etc."
Well that sounds like a dealbreaker to me, TBH. Also, I have no idea about your relationship with your SO, but you should ask them where they think you should go as well.

Just to preface this, I'm a money person. I'm in huge debt from college already and the prospect of adding onto that because of medical school scares the crap out of me. Because of that, I would go to the place that has a lower COA/COL. Going to the place that will give me the least amount of debt would let me sleep soundly. But that's just me. Definitely wishing you the best of luck with your decision!

Side note: My best friend's younger brother attended Wake Forest for undergrad and grew to love the location after a few months. He will be matriculating to Wake Med this fall!