Massey Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's it like trying to get into an internship/residency coming from Massey? I only ask because I'm applying next year, and for various reasons, I may choose to go to Massey even if I get into another school. I know it's AVMA accredited, but do applicants still get put at the bottom of the list since the school is in NZ?

Of course not!

All AVMA accredited schools are all looked at the same. Its no different than going to any other US school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Lazyjayn! You mentioned earlier that you might have a room available beginning June? I was wondering if this still holds true and perhaps we could talk about it? I am trying to look into places to live but it is kind of difficult from this far away! Thanks!!

Hey guys, I already sent dandyandy about this same info, but...

For flats, unless you'll have a car and can afford $1.55+/L for gas, and don't mind paying out the a$$ for parking too, you'll want to live along the bus routes.

You can find the schedule (with map) here, and the bus company site here, with other routes.

Then with that handy info in your hot little paws, pull up a google map of the town, grab the trademe ads, and start hunting.

The university also has listings with MUSA, Listings in their news page, or contact the accommodation office on campus.

*Do Not Live On Morris Street* Ever.

There are some places like the on campus student residence- dorm style, basically, but they're expensive and mostly have younger chinese/ japanese students living there. Also, there's something called "the hub" but with what they want for a studio you can get a whole house here.

If you don't find a place this way, come over, check into a "backpackers" and hit the streets. there's a bunch of places in the paper every weekend, and once you know where everything is, it's much easier to know where you want to live.

I really suggest living in Hokowhitu or the city center, tho. Close to most stuff and easy to get around.

You should be able to get an ok to good place for less than 75 a week, + expenses.

j.

Members don't see this ad :)
If tuition at Missouri is much less than Massey's, I would strongly consider going to Missouri. I mentioned earlier in this thread a few reasons you might want to go to school in the States. That said, Massey has a lot going for it. And while New Zealand may sometimes feel far away from North America, most US/Canadian students do go home every year, sometimes twice a year. The school's cost of attendance, on which student loans are based, budgets a decent amount for a yearly trip home, and summer vacation here is 3+ months long, giving you plenty of time to spend in North America if you want to. Only 10 weeks of the practical experience required for your degree must be done in New Zealand, so that really isn't too big a factor. Skype and phone cards make calling home obscenely cheap. The cost of living here is much lower than in California. There is enough variety in vet students that you can find your niche, whether you're 22 or 29 or 34, whether you love farming or are dog/cat all the way, whether you drink or not. I really like New Zealand. It's a bit of a transition initially, but there is so much I'll miss when I go back to the States when I graduate.

40's thru 60's in the winter, highish 50's thru 70's for summer, tho I think it might have broken 80 once or twice. Bring a rain coat, tho, and a wind jacket, and stuff that dries fast. I've only spotted one laundromat in town, and I'm not sure if even *they* have dryers.

Hi Everyone,

I am currently applying for loans and housing and was wondering approximately how much money y'all are taking out per year. Does anyone have a good estimate? Also, is anyone else applying for on-campus housing and if so, where? Thanks!

I think I took out my COA minues travel expenses, but I'm not sure. I can't find my COA right now to verify that, and give you the approximate total of my loans. I could probably post that later though, if I remember. As far as housing, I will be on campus in Fergusson Hall for next semester.

Hey soccerduck11, it would be wonderful if you could post that later! I am scrambling to get everything done and am freaking out a little because there is a hold on my loans! Did they guarantee you a spot at Fergusson because they are asking me for a deposit before they can give me a place. Anyway, thanks, and where are you traveling from?

I sent you a PM, dandyandy. Let me know if you have any other questions!

For those who like American candy...does anyone want me to bring some with me when I go in July?? Just let me know and I will be happy to........

For those who like American candy...does anyone want me to bring some with me when I go in July?? Just let me know and I will be happy to........
That's so cool of you... but the blocks of Cadbury's they have here keep me in chocolate heaven :)

Hi all,

Thank you soooo much for all the help and advice you've given me in the past months. I've actually decided to go to Missouri and stay in the states. I think it's a better opt for me financially and i'll be closer to family and friends. I know that I will miss NZ heaps, but I'll always be able to go back to it and I won't be knee deep in debt, you know?

Thanks again, Good luck to the rest of you!!!