Master's Degree for Non-traditional Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolo2011

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I'm currently an Army officer and had a question for the group. During college, I had little desire to become a doctor, before I had some experiences in the military that completely changed my perspective.

I didn't do well in my Chem/Physics classes in college because it really wasn't a focus of mine at the time... maybe a B average if I can recall correctly.

I do have the ability to get a fully-funded Master's degree on the Army's dime. I see this as the only real opportunity for me to not have to get out of the military to complete the necessary pre-reqs for Med school. Would you recommend I pursue an "easier" Master's degree and take the prereqs on the side, or would it be more beneficial for me to pursue a M.S. in Biology (or another science)?

Also, college was 6+ years ago so I would really need to refresh myself in the sciences.

Thanks for the input. To make it clear, if I already had the pre-reqs and this wasn't a free option, I would not pursue a M.S. degree for the sake of getting another M.S. degree (I have a M.S. in Personal Finances).

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, and something else to add...

I cannot go to a traditional Post-Bacc program only... I have to get a Master's degree to exercise this free schooling option while still in the military...

Thanks.

I think we would need to know your application stats and more details to comment.

There’s no need to ”refresh” in science knowledge. The goals should be to be ready to do well on the MCAT (and respect to grades, to look ready for Med school with an acceptable undergrad GPA) — a masters will not directly work on either of those issues.

What science classes did you take? Did you get through o-chem and biochem?

More generally, what’s your cGPA, sGPA?
Clinical experienice?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we would need to know your application stats and more details to comment.

There’s no need to ”refresh” in science knowledge. The goals should be to be ready to do well on the MCAT (and respect to grades, to look ready for Med school with an acceptable undergrad GPA) — a masters will not directly work on either of those issues.

What science classes did you take? Did you get through o-chem and biochem?

More generally, what’s your cGPA, sGPA?
Clinical experienice?

Hobbes23,

I only took Chemistry and Physics. I don’t have access to my course records right now to calculate my GPAs. I know my cGPA was 3.02. My science GPA is probably a 2.85 or so.

I also don’t have any clinical experience.

I think I found a creative solution. I may be able to take a two year executive MBA program (Fri and Sat) and work on pre-reqs/experience during the week for two years.

Thanks for all of the help.

Hobbes23,

I only took Chemistry and Physics. I don’t have access to my course records right now to calculate my GPAs. I know my cGPA was 3.02. My science GPA is probably a 2.85 or so.

I think I found a creative solution. I may be able to take a two year executive MBA program (Fri and Sat) and work on pre-reqs/experience during the week for two years.

Thanks for all of the help.

If your goal is med school acceptance, a MBA won't help a lot. Improving your undergrad and science GPA would. You need to show you can manage that type of course work.

If MBA is your plan A or B, go for it for that reason, just knowing that it can be hard to do well on multiple things at once.

If your goal is med school acceptance, a MBA won't help a lot. Improving your undergrad and science GPA would. You need to show you can manage that type of course work.

If MBA is your plan A or B, go for it for that reason, just knowing that it can be hard to do well on multiple things at once.
Yes, I know that is the risk I’m taking but it is the only way I’ll be able to go to school for two years, paid for, and create the time needed to focus on the science courses/MCAT I still need. I know that sounds kind of opposite but I’m pretty limited on options.

Still looking for any recommendations on a Master's Degree that would be useful for Medical School. My plan for the executive MBA fell through. I appreciate all of the help, thanks.

Still looking for any recommendations on a Master's Degree that would be useful for Medical School. My plan for the executive MBA fell through. I appreciate all of the help, thanks.

None.

My science GPA is probably a 2.85 or so.

You need to fix these if you truly want the MD pathway. Plain and simple. Your ideas are clever but they wont work. a Masters Degree isnt on the list of requirements to gain admittance into medical school.

Put in another way....which is your primary goal:
acceptance into MD school or earn a Masters degree paid by the US Govt while you remain active duty?

Something has got to give. Sorry. We have all made sacrifices to get into medical school and none of them were easy

Carry on!

I did a 2 years masters in physiology while taking prereqs. Send me a message if you have any questions.