master's degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

premeddeac

I am probably going to be a borderline applicant when I apply next year (3.2 GPA, 28 MCAT) but had 2 questions. One, would it look better to only apply to osteopathic schools, showing a committment to the field? I really don't care if I go MD or DO. Also, if I don't get in the first time around, might it be worth it to pursue a Master's Degree in a field like Public Health,Human Physiology, etc? Would a good performance in grad school carry weight in getting into med school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The Master's degree will certainly show that your are comitted to education and are capable at the graduate level. Just make sure you find a field that you absolutely positively 100% LIKE on a PRACTICAL level, something you can see yourself doing research for (not just some MS degree that sounds nice and might look alluring to admission committees).

I went for my MPH after undergrad and loved it. I feel that it really gave me a unique perspective on medicine, and felt that it helped me stand out in the interview process. If you get the opportunity to do so, I highly recommend it. But as previously posted, make sure and go into a field that interests you...
G

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not an expert on master's programs. I am however in a biomedical science program right now and it seems to have helped as far as getting into school. I have heard that the type of masters program you chose is very important. For example, two admissions people suggested not to do programs that are not science intensive. If you want to show that you are ready to handle the sciences you will encounter in med school, you need to show the admissions people. MCP Hahnemann has a couple of programs that might be of interest including one geared at improving your MCAT score and one in which you take med school classes.

Those programs are ok, refering to the Biomed science programs, but what do you do with such a degree if you are not admitted to med school after that masters. I presume your options are very limited with a masters in BMS. Therefore, I think it is more important to take on a masters program where you know you will be happy with the degree even if you dont get into med school...thus I chose the MPH. But am happy to say that I things worked out for me and I will be in med school this august(Kirksville!)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by cjkalmat (edited 02-19-2001).]

I have a similar question. I have a master's in biology (exercise physiology) and I'm hoping this will strengthen my application...I have 3.2 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA and 25P on the MCAT. Do schools highly value a master's degree? It seems like they only consider your undergrad degree... Thanks for your help!!

I have a similar question. I have a master's in biology (exercise physiology) and I'm hoping this will strengthen my application...I have 3.2 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA and 25P on the MCAT. Do schools highly value a master's degree? It seems like they only consider your undergrad degree... Thanks for your help!!

The supreme bump of 10 years!

Being blunt with your stats you'd be able to get into a DO school next cycle. However DO and MD schools do both look at hard science courses and if you get a good gpa ( 3.7+) it will benefit your application.

I dont know why people around these parts think that getting a masters gets you nowhere. My MS in FORENSICS was instrumental in getting me into med school. I know of several people in my class who also got into med school because of masters degrees. So yes graduate work DEFINITELY helps. It wont bring up your ugrad GPA on AMCAS...but for AACOMAS it WILL bring that GPA up.

I dont know why people around these parts think that getting a masters gets you nowhere. My MS in FORENSICS was instrumental in getting me into med school. I know of several people in my class who also got into med school because of masters degrees. So yes graduate work DEFINITELY helps. It wont bring up your ugrad GPA on AMCAS...but for AACOMAS it WILL bring that GPA up.

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but does it matter what kind of science you decide to study on? Let's say...ecology vs. biomedical science?

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but does it matter what kind of science you decide to study on? Let's say...ecology vs. biomedical science?

"Hard Science."
Ecology might work, but BMS would probably be better.

I know two friends personally who were worried about their undergrad GPA's of 3.3-3.4 for med school and each went and got a MPH. Both are now in MD programs.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, either do a MPH or MS. My cGPA of 3.45 and sGPA 3.29 are a little bit low and I'm aiming for a MCAT of 30. Getting the right kind and doing well in a master's program makes you stand out from the crowd. I've seen it personally and heard it time and time again help get people into US med schools.

I do agree what others have said though, make sure you get a degree you have an interest and enjoy doing so that you can use it as a fall back in case you don't get into med school. It's going to be a tough decision for me b/c I really like public health (especially epidemiology and infectious diseases) but also biomedical sciences. There are a few schools that offer MPH programs that have some science and public health course mixed together, Pitt and GW Univ come to mind. On the other hand, you can't go wrong with a biomedical science master degree in a specific area.

I guess I just don't the ADCOM to question my interest, ya know?
"If Quester is truly interested in medicine, why would he get MS in ecology..." Even I would find it slightly weird looking at myself.:oops:

I'd look at it more like..."Wow, Quester...

1. has not only strengthened his educational background before coming to med school (as compared to many applying with BS, BA, etc)
2. has thoroughly explored other discplines in science and possibly had teaching and research experience
3. has proven he can succeed in graduate-level courses..."

That's just me. I'm applying with a MS, so maybe it's wishful thinking:)

Would getting an online masters in public health be looked down upon as opposed to the traditional masters earned in a classroom setting?

One, would it look better to only apply to osteopathic schools, showing a committment to the field?

No, because we can see already that you're not MD school caliber. So it's kinda obvious that you'd be applying to DOschools only.

Also, if I don't get in the first time around, might it be worth it to pursue a Master's Degree in a field like Public Health,Human Physiology, etc?

YES!

Would a good performance in grad school carry weight in getting into med school?

YES! Doing this shows us you can handle a medical school curriculum if you perform well.