armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I asked the adcoms this but I'll ask it here anyway, since those guys sometimes take a while to respond.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of what kind of role masters degree grades play in admissions, especially screening?

I keep being told my masters grades mean absolutely nothing as far as med school application goes, which would be a pretty big waste of time and effort.

if it means anything, I'm talking about a traditional MS and not an SMP.. you SMP individuals are a whole different ballgame. I wish I had thought of doing an SMP.

D

deleted113029

I asked the adcoms this but I'll ask it here anyway, since those guys sometimes take a while to respond.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of what kind of role masters degree grades play in admissions, especially screening?

I keep being told my masters grades mean absolutely nothing as far as med school application goes, which would be a pretty big waste of time and effort.

if it means anything, I'm talking about a traditional MS and not an SMP.. you SMP individuals are a whole different ballgame. I wish I had thought of doing an SMP.

what you've been told is true...unfortunately.

About the Ads

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Masters grades may help, but it seems like, at least from heresay, that the line of thinking is that graduate courses are easy As, particularly research type of classes. Im not sure if this is true or not. FWIW, I think a MS is helpful if you ace the classes and do well. I cannot imagine that an adcom would automatically discuount strong graduate grades.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Masters grades may help, but it seems like, at least from heresay, that the line of thinking is that graduate courses are easy As, particularly research type of classes. Im not sure if this is true or not. FWIW, I think a MS is helpful if you ace the classes and do well. I cannot imagine that an adcom would automatically discuount strong graduate grades.
yeah, I don't see how they can be completely ignored. In 2 semesters so far I've sat in on 2 undergraduate upper-level biology courses that most biology majors have to take (molecular genetics and immunology). It's not possible for my grade to be inflated but theirs not, as we're taking the exact same course.

Though I agree I get free As in classes like my seminar courses.

D

deleted113029

so the ONLY way to improve your numbers for application is to improve your MCAT?

postbacc courses definitely help. retaking MCATs are useless if your score is >=30 and your grades are poor. one thing i've seen over the years are people getting in with excellent grades + mediocre MCAT, good grades + excellent MCAT, but few with poor grades + excellent MCAT and even fewer with poor grades + mediocre MCAT.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.