Master's Level pursuing Doctorate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SocialLoaner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
An obvious reason to earn a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology is to be able to practice as a Clinical Psychologist, but as a Master of Social Work Graduate who is applying for licensure to practice in my state, I am stumped on where to continue.

I will already be able to practice Psychotherapy and I will be admitted to a regionally accredited PhD program that is Non-Clinical that will take me four years to complete with an integrated dissertation (half of it is integrated into the coursework which makes finishing it a bit easier).

I could apply to an APA accredited Clinical Psychology program. They will not accept any of my credits as they say "Social Work", instead of "Psychology". This will take five years to complete, more likely six or seven, depending on dissertation. I go back to being a paid intern if I go this route and it likely will take longer to get my hours to full licensure as a Master's Level Clinician and as a Clinical Psychologist.

So the real question is, other than to have a degree in Clinical Psychology, other than being able to administer certain measurements, other than being able to be an expert witness at a trial, other than being able to call myself a psychologist, other than being able to be paid as a Psychologist.... what else is there in becoming a Clinical Psychologist?

All I am hoping to do with my doctorate is to further the research in our field and to help corrupt the future generations as an undergraduate professor. There are some clinicians with a Masters Degree doing these things.

It just seems be able to secure an associate professorship versus an adjunct professorship having the title Doctor and furthering our field seems to be help in doing this.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

There's slightly better pay for some cpt codes for psychologists when compared to masters level peeps.

Depending on how you conduct yourself, there is also the possibility of increased risk of liability and board complaints.

You might look into a clinical respecialization program after PhD if you are set on this route.

Reactions: 1 user
There's slightly better pay for some cpt codes for psychologists when compared to masters level peeps.

Depending on how you conduct yourself, there is also the possibility of increased risk of liability and board complaints.

You might look into a clinical respecialization program after PhD if you are set on this route.

Being held to two different codes of ethics makes it much more challenging. Agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will already be able to practice Psychotherapy and I will be admitted to a regionally accredited PhD program that is Non-Clinical that will take me four years to complete with an integrated dissertation (half of it is integrated into the coursework which makes finishing it a bit easier).

All I am hoping to do with my doctorate is to further the research in our field and to help corrupt the future generations as an undergraduate professor.

The kind of doctoral program you're describing doesn't sound like something that would make you competitive for tenure-track college/uni jobs. Is that really your goal?