Master's programs - low GPA/high MCAT, low research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tysondoghb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I applied last year to MD programs to no avail. I have a bad gpa (3.17) in BME from Stanford, but 518 MCAT (Apr 2016). I have been applying to post bacc programs but haven't got into any, so I am thinking of doing a DIY post bacc. However, I also got into 2 masters programs - one in epidemiology and clinical research at Stanford Med, and one in immunology at Harvard Med.

I was just looking for opinions on whether they'd help my app at all; I am aware they will not increase my uGPA. I have around 400 hours of clinical work, and a lot of non-healthcare leadership/volunteering, but not much research experience other than working in Colombia as a research assistant in epidemiology. Thanks for any insight! :)

Members don't see this ad.

That's an awesome MCAT score! I think you'll be fine if you do well in your post grad work. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I wouldn't go pile on a bunch of debt to get a epidemiology/immunology masters as a route towards med school. Med school are not impressed by masters degrees as a credential and the grading is notoriously inflated and not a good way to address a low uGPA, as you mention.

If you were gonna do a masters it should be one of the strong SMPs, otherwise go for the DIY post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You would be very successful if you did well in an SMP, but it might be too late to apply to most. With that MCAT I would guess that a strong post-bac would make you competitive as well.

Check out University of Cincinnati SMP.
Cincinnati has one of the best SMP's, along with Temple, but it's also one of the hardest to get into. They like low GPA/very high MCATs like OP. He/she could try to get into med school without one and just doing an informal postbac to get that GPA up. But the masters programs they listed won't address their biggest issue, which is a low GPA.

Cincinnati has one of the best SMP's, along with Temple, but it's also one of the hardest to get into. They like low GPA/very high MCATs like OP. He/she could try to get into med school without one and just doing an informal postbac to get that GPA up. But the masters programs they listed won't address their biggest issue, which is a low GPA.

I went to low tier state school for Ugrad and was accepted with much lower MCAT percentile. It really helped me on the interview route I think. I got into my top choice in my state. There were people from the program who also went on to top med programs and most people got into a med/dental program. I'm not sure if the application has closed or not, but its only an 11 month program so it would be the same period of time waiting to apply as compared to a regular masters,except, performing well in it would greatly increase your chances of acceptances vs a traditional masters.

I know it's been a year since you posted, but what did you finally decide on? Do you still remember your interview for Harvard Immunology? I have an invitation for one and I'm nervous about what to expect, any advice and tricky questions they asked would be appreciated!
Sorry, I don't come on here often as to avoid anxiety! I did not have an interview at all, but the staff was all very nice. I don't think they get too many applications so it wasn't too competitive last year. I didn't end up going to the program, though.