Masters Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOGREEN4250

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in search of good Masters program. I have already applied to University of Michigan's molecular and integrative physiology program and Boston Universities MAMS program, and I was wondering if anyone could give me further guidance in term of what programs to apply to! Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the goal for this degree?
My Goal is to get into medical school, but I feel that an SMP or traditional Masters program is best for me at this time due to my stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation regarding stats. I did a master's at my hometown university in their med school which focused on research (able to do bench stuff) but also allowed me to take graduate medical classes and class load. I was also able get to know plenty of the faculty along with the whole process of applying to med school. I guess it depends on which areas of your application need strengthening and which programs will allow you the right opportunities. I also think for it to be worth it for med school application purposes you should do very well in whichever program you choose. I can recommend doing a master's program to help your GPA but pick the right one for you!

I can recommend doing a master's program to help your GPA but pick the right one for you!
Master's grades have no effect on undergraduate gpa in AMCAS (for MD schools).
Undergrad gpa is the metric used to assess academic skills.

Master's grades have no effect on undergraduate gpa in AMCAS (for MD schools).
Undergrad gpa is the metric used to assess academic skills.

That's a bit of a broad generalization. I know of a few schools that heavily consider grad school grades. One of them will actually completely disregard the UG GPA if you complete at least 32 credits of graduate school classes as a full-time student (MD school). Either way OP needs to retake MCAT and do something to make up for the sub-par UG GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of a few schools that heavily consider grad school grades. One of them will actually completely disregard the UG GPA if you complete at least 32 credits of graduate school classes as a full-time student (MD school). Either way OP needs to retake MCAT and do something to make up for the sub-par UG GPA.
There are apparently a few like this (I'm told they are in MI).
Even so, Master's grades are not included in the AMCAS undergrad gpa which is the standard metric for the evaluation of applicants to MD schools. SMP's can be a different story, depending on the SMP and the medical school.
DO schools see things in their own way.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are apparently a few like this (I'm told they are in MI).
Even so, Master's grades are not included in the AMCAS undergrad gpa which is the standard metric for the evaluation of applicants to MD schools. SMP's can be a different story, depending on the SMP and the medical school.
DO schools see things in their own way.

I realize they're not calculated with UG grades, but when I applied I believe there was a section for them. Interesting about MI though, none of the schools I know of that weigh graduate grades heavily are in that state. I also know that the interviews I got in my last cycle were largely because of my Master's GPA (as I was told so by those programs).

That's a bit of a broad generalization. I know of a few schools that heavily consider grad school grades. One of them will actually completely disregard the UG GPA if you complete at least 32 credits of graduate school classes as a full-time student (MD school). Either way OP needs to retake MCAT and do something to make up for the sub-par UG GPA.

Could you list these schools?

Reactions: 1 user
I realize they're not calculated with UG grades, but when I applied I believe there was a section for them.
Yes, they appear on a separate line.
All grades from US and Canadian graduate (or professional schools) will appear in the transcript. How they are viewed by individual examiners is unpredictable but generally they are not perceived to have the equivalent of undergrad rigor.

It is true that public schools give their own residents a wide latitude that may include such broad inclusion. If there are MD schools that consider them the equal to undergrad as a policy, it would be great to know which ones they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you list these schools?

Yes, they appear on a separate line.
All grades from US and Canadian graduate (or professional schools) will appear in the transcript. How they are viewed by individual examiners is unpredictable but generally they are not perceived to have the equivalent of undergrad rigor.

It is true that public schools give their own residents a wide latitude that may include such broad inclusion. If there are MD schools that consider them the equal to undergrad as a policy, it would be great to know which ones they are.

I do not know if it is still policy (it was 5 years ago), but the school with the 32 credit policy I was referring to was LSU-NO as I was told this by an ADCOM member. That is the only in-writing policy I know of, but I also believe Creighton, one of the Chicago schools (RF maybe?) and another MD school outside of Michigan does weigh grad school very heavily. I believe it was a Texas school, specifically Baylor, but I'm not sure. I just remember another person in my master's program was told that their drastic grade improvement in grad school played a huge role in their acceptance. I also know that there are more than a few DO schools that will give graduate GPA heavy consideration if the only red flag in a person's app is UG GPA, including mine.

I do not know if it is still policy (it was 5 years ago), but the school with the 32 credit policy I was referring to was LSU-NO as I was told this by an ADCOM member. That is the only in-writing policy I know of, but I also believe Creighton, one of the Chicago schools (RF maybe?) and another MD school outside of Michigan does weigh grad school very heavily. I believe it was a Texas school, specifically Baylor, but I'm not sure. I just remember another person in my master's program was told that their drastic grade improvement in grad school played a huge role in their acceptance. I also know that there are more than a few DO schools that will give graduate GPA heavy consideration if the only red flag in a person's app is UG GPA, including mine.
You are correct, thank you!
Requirements - Admissions - LSUHSC School of Medicine
This is great for IS candidates. They only matriculated 16 OOS MD's.

One of them will actually completely disregard the UG GPA if you complete at least 32 credits of graduate school classes as a full-time student (MD school).

Interesting about MI though, none of the schools I know of that weigh graduate grades heavily are in that state. I also know that the interviews I got in my last cycle were largely because of my Master's GPA (as I was told so by those programs).

Mind sharing? I'm coming from a similar situation. My grad GPA was on point but only to make up for the poor UPGA. I've seen Goro's list, honestly, I feel like even with the bump some of those might be still out of reach and applied more modestly. Curious if the ones you're referring to might be ones I should look into adding.

Mind sharing? I'm coming from a similar situation. My grad GPA was on point but only to make up for the poor UPGA. I've seen Goro's list, honestly, I feel like even with the bump some of those might be still out of reach and applied more modestly. Curious if the ones you're referring to might be ones I should look into adding.

I listed the ones I was more certain of above. I know several DO schools consider graduate grades more heavily if they were strong. I went to KCU and at my interview my weak UG gpa was brought up briefly, but my grad GPA made up for it (spoke to the person who interviewed me later). LECOM also offered me an interview that cycle as well as in a previous cycle. I also had an interview in my final cycle with EVMS. I did not go, so I can't really say if my grad school GPA had a big impact or not, but my UGPA was far from impressive, so I'd guess my grad GPA had some effect as it was .6-.7 points higher than my UGPA.

I listed the ones I was more certain of above. I know several DO schools consider graduate grades more heavily if they were strong. I went to KCU and at my interview my weak UG gpa was brought up briefly, but my grad GPA made up for it (spoke to the person who interviewed me later). LECOM also offered me an interview that cycle as well as in a previous cycle. I also had an interview in my final cycle with EVMS. I did not go, so I can't really say if my grad school GPA had a big impact or not, but my UGPA was far from impressive, so I'd guess my grad GPA had some effect as it was .6-.7 points higher than my UGPA.
What were your uGPA and gradGPA, if you don’t mind sharing? I’m applying to LSU + several DO schools this cycle, with a 2.99 uGPA and a 3.68 gradGPA. hopefully the second will help cover the first.

What were your uGPA and gradGPA, if you don’t mind sharing? I’m applying to LSU + several DO schools this cycle, with a 2.99 uGPA and a 3.68 gradGPA. hopefully the second will help cover the first.

UGPA was ~3.15, ~3.2 with CC credits. Grad GPA was ~3.8. Honestly, your grad GPA is still a bit low, so I'd do what you can to make sure your application is as well-rounded as possible. Obviously UG GPA is the more concerning stat, but if it's an upward trend that would help. Not trying to discourage you from applying or anything like that, but I would make sure you've got the strongest app possible when you submit and be prepared to answer plenty of questions about why your UG GPA was so low and how you've improved yourself enough to be successful in med school.

The uGPA is due to me quitting in the middle of a quarter way back 19 years ago, then taking a 15 year break and coming back. Maintained a 3.5+ trend ever since returning in 2013, but those first grades follow you wherever you go. GradGPA due to two Bs first semester, but I’ve had a 4.0 since and I’m on track for a 3.8 total gradGPA, but I can’t report that until May. LSU-SHV is the only MD school I’m applying to, and they look at the last 30. I’m perfectly fine with DO if that works out for me too.

I went to Midwestern University in Downers Grove, IL and did the 1 year in Biomedical Science program. Personally, I loved it because you take actual classes you'll be taking 1st and 2nd year of med school (biochem, physiology, pharm, anatomy w/lab, etc.)
Not only did this really prepare me for med school but it allowed me to get into their med school.
They guarantee an interview with them and their Arizona campus if you get a 3.0 GPA and have an MCAT score of 1 S.D from the previous med schools year class. (Last year this was 503 at IL and 501 at AZ I believe)
It is a hard program and of course, not everyone gets in, but if you keep your head down and do well you have a really good shot to get in the same year, even better if you don't mind taking a year off.
I had a 3.1 GPA and 505 MCAT and got accepted after getting a 4.0 in the program if that helps give you a reference.

I am currently in search of good Masters program. I have already applied to University of Michigan's molecular and integrative physiology program and Boston Universities MAMS program, and I was wondering if anyone could give me further guidance in term of what programs to apply to! Thank You!
I'm about to graduate from an SMP at USF Morsani College of Med and absolutely loved it. I had a lot of growing up to do and this program was a great outlet for it. Idk if you'd want to move to Florida tho haha (but... who wouldn't want to live in FL?). I attribute the program for helping me raise by GPA and my MCAT from a 501 -> 515. Good luck!

I'm about to graduate from an SMP at USF Morsani College of Med and absolutely loved it. I had a lot of growing up to do and this program was a great outlet for it. Idk if you'd want to move to Florida tho haha (but... who wouldn't want to live in FL?). I attribute the program for helping me raise by GPA and my MCAT from a 501 -> 515. Good luck!

Were you able to gain acceptance into USF?

Were you able to gain acceptance into USF?
I took the MCAT May 24 of this year so ill let you know the results of this cycle. USF MCOM is where I want to go though. Attribute much of my success on the MCAT to the program!

I took the MCAT May 24 of this year so ill let you know the results of this cycle. USF MCOM is where I want to go though. Attribute much of my success on the MCAT to the program!

Definitely. I'll be rooting for you.

That’s amazing
You are going to get in for sure !

Hi! I am currently looking at masters program and stumbled across Johns Hopkins Post-Bass Health science intensive. Even though it is a post bac program you still get a Master of Science in Biotechnology degree. Has anyone done this program?

Hi! I am currently looking at masters program and stumbled across Johns Hopkins Post-Bass Health science intensive. Even though it is a post bac program you still get a Master of Science in Biotechnology degree. Has anyone done this program?
How is it a post bacc program if it gives you a master's degree?