Match Day 2016!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0o0ooDrugs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright here we go!!:soexcited:
Help everyone out, what time did you get word of your match results?:corny:

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Got email of match at 751am eastern

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo! A southeastern regional hospital!

More SEC/ACC football and cornhole!

I got an email saying I didn't match at 715 am. I thought those emails didn't go out until noon? Is it an error?

Alright here we go!!:soexcited:
Help everyone out, what time did you get word of your match results?:corny:

Good Luck Everyone!!!

I got an email saying I didn't match at 715 am. I thought those emails didn't go out until noon? Is it an error?
I also got an early email saying I didn't match, but the Match website still says 'results will be released at 12 pm eastern' on my dashboard. Does anyone know if it should be specifically stating that I did not match?

Just some words of encouragement -

One of the candidates we matched was a person we interviewed (and liked!) last year who didn't match.

She reapplied this year, we interviewed her again, and now she's with us.

Perseverance can pay off. Just becauSe you don't match doesn't mean you aren't a great candidate - it's a tough world out there!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't get matched. Where can I find the available positions for Phase II? Congrats to everyone matched :)

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of us who didn't match or withdrew. Is it worth it to email the program directors now? what is contacting them today going to do for us?? I've heard people saying to emial them today but I don't really have any questions as of right now and they supposedly can't just offer residencies to people asap can they?

No match for me, and it seems I'm the only one from my class, which I find surprising. I feel so unmotivated now, especially when Walgreens interviewed me a couple weeks ago and turned me down, which was one of my plan Bs. I will try for phase II...way too many applicants this year I suppose... :(

Last edited:
No match for me, and it seems I'm the only one from my class, which I find surprising. I feel so unmotivated now, especially when Walgreens interviewed me a couple weeks ago and turned me down, which was one of my plan Bs. I will try for phase II...way too many applicants this year I suppose... :(
I think sitting down and doing some deep self reflection could be beneficial! Why do you think you didn't get an interview/get a job with walgreens, are you approachable and how are you perceived, did you have someone look at your CV, have you sought advice from faculty members on how to become more competitive, were the programs you applied to extremely popular/well renowned, is your public social media accounts clean/have you google yourself--I think these are all just the tip of the iceburg questions you could ask yourself when self reflecting on things. Don't be unmotivated though, you've invested so much time and money into this! We all got this!! :)

Just looked at the phase II list..there are some really good programs with open positions. I applied to 2 of them and got rejections from them both--and I can't decide my feelings about it, but I am ecstatic about where I matched at! I thought that was definitely interesting though!

Here's the list of programs participating in Phase II.
https://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/instdirp/aboutproglist.html?
As jmcmans1 has said, there are some very good programs that didn't match all of their positions, so if you didn't match phase I, don't give up. Oftentimes, it is not necessarily that you were not a good applicant, but rather that it's just extremely competitive...imagine 50 qualified applicants vying for 8 spots. Don't feel bad if you didn't match. Congratulations on those who have matched Phase I and good luck to those participating in Phase II!

Edit: I just noticed the link did not work - I linked to the search results, but you have to submit the search results yourself. Edited the link to the correct page for that.

Last edited:
Here's the list of programs participating in Phase II.
https://www.natmatch.com/cgibin/instdisp.pl
As jmcmans1 has said, there are some very good programs that didn't match all of their positions, so if you didn't match phase I, don't give up. Oftentimes, it is not necessarily that you were not a good applicant, but rather that it's just extremely competitive...imagine 50 qualified applicants vying for 8 spots. Don't feel bad if you didn't match. Congratulations on those who have matched Phase I and good luck to those participating in Phase II!

That's actually a better ratio than all the places I know of. They were around 50 applicants but for 4 spots. But yes, I agree. I was looking down the list and was surprised at all of the unmatched programs. I wonder if they will now just do phone interviews, or still attempt to get on-sites visits.

And this may be beating a dead horse, but personality on an interview is SO CRITICAL. No one wants to work with a zombie. Good luck all!

That's actually a better ratio than all the places I know of. They were around 50 applicants but for 4 spots. But yes, I agree. I was looking down the list and was surprised at all of the unmatched programs. I wonder if they will now just do phone interviews, or still attempt to get on-sites visits.

And this may be beating a dead horse, but personality on an interview is SO CRITICAL. No one wants to work with a zombie. Good luck all!
Oh I was just pulling an example off the top of my head. The ratios are different everywhere...but by applicants, I really meant those who have interviewed, since no one will be hoping to match to a program they did not interview for - so basically, not counting the number of people who applied but were not offered interviews.

what I've noticed when I was doing my interviews, most places interview 4-5 people per position, which gives each applicant a 20-25% chance for one resident spot.

For those of you that matched if you don't mind sharing your stats? Would be great for those considering applying next year to kind of gauge where we stand.

Earlier in pharm school I always appreciated the stats threads of those who matched. Also, mine might give some hope to those with lower GPA's

-GPA: 3.2
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): South
-Activities: SSHP, APhA, CPFI, ACCP
-Leadership positions: President of one of the above organizations, 2-year member of dean-appointed school committee
-Community service: just health fairs and organization events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 1.5 years as a retail technician before pharm school, summer internship at major hospital
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: none
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 6
-Number of interview invites: 3
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): ranked only 2 but matched with my first choice, a medium 400+ bed, level II trauma, hospital in the South.

Does anyone know anything about VA New Jersey Health Care System? It is not accredited yet. Should I be concerned? Thank you.

-GPA: 3.9
-Type of PharmD program: 0-6
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): West Coast, Southwest
-Activities: none
-Leadership positions: none
-Community service: none
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: ~4 years inpatient tech at VA, ~1.5 years tech at independent retail pharmacy
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 13
-Number of interview invites: 10
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): matched to #1 on west coast, pediatric hospital

If I re-apply to a program that I applied to in Phase I but wasn't offered an interview (I was waitlisted) .. now I'm re-applying to that program for Phase II, should I change my LOI or just send the same one I used before?

I sent the director an email back on Friday and said that I'm still interested and she told me that they have my packet I just need to re-apply! thanks!

-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: ~4 years inpatient tech at VA, ~1.5 years tech at independent retail pharmacy
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): matched to #1 on west coast, pediatric hospital

You give me hope when I apply for next year. I have pretty much have similar stats minus the inpatient experience :-(

-GPA: 3.8
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): West Coast
-Activities: PDC, APhA, AMCP, Class Council
-Leadership positions: 2-year member of dean-appointed school committee, PDC Eboard,
-Community service: Organization events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Pharmacy Tech at VA hospital for 2 years
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Random jobs, nothing that stands out
-Number of interview invites: 8
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Top choice, VA on the West Coast

-GPA: 3.5
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): South
-Activities: APhA, AMCP, Kappa Psi
-Leadership positions: Treasurer, Chair Positions x 2 years, Class officer
-Community service: health fairs and organization events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3 years as a retail intern, 0 hospital experience before rotations
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: chemist
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 5
-Number of interview invites: 2
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): #1 choice, Regional medical center in the Southeast

For P1-3s, and phase II applicants going on interviews:

Stack rotations relevant to your residency field of interest before Midyear, because you'll want letters before Midyear and things to talk about on interviews. Also, in interviews, be the shark. Talk the most. Ask the most (relevant, specific to the institution) questions: Do you like your EHR? How is your ABx resistance in this region? Do you always/only follow INR/vanc/AMGs or are some physicians hands-off about that? What was the last major intervention you made and how did you have to document that?

**"Can you tell me your typical day as a clinical pharmacist?" is not a real question and just shows you did no research on the institution.

Reactions: 1 users

I've heard some programs highly regard GPA. But it is amazing you made it pass the scoring checklist of so many residency programs for interviews. Do you have something else in your CV like a publication?

I've heard some programs highly regard GPA. But it is amazing you made it pass the scoring checklist of so many residency programs for interviews. Do you have something else in your CV like a publication?

4 years of inpatient experience = solid gold

4 years of inpatient experience = solid gold

I definitely don't downplay experience but don't most residencies have a scoring checklist based on activities and involvement? Apparently GPA and inpatient job experience have a high points multiplier. I remember a girl in my class that had a 3.9 with no extra-curriculars and 2-years retail intern experience. She got interviews at all 10 programs she applied.

A

I definitely don't downplay experience but don't most residencies have a scoring checklist based on activities and involvement? Apparently GPA and inpatient job experience have a high points multiplier. I remember a girl in my class that had a 3.9 with no extra-curriculars and 2-years retail intern experience. She got interviews at all 10 programs she applied.

A

How long ago was this? Things have definitely ramped up in terms of competition I believe. I know plenty of people with high gpa and retail work but no extracurricular not get many interviews.

How long ago was this? Things have definitely ramped up in terms of competition I believe. I know plenty of people with high gpa and retail work but no extracurricular not get many interviews.

2011. But do residency interviews really score inpatient intern/tech experience differently versus retail intern experience that differently? Because the above user is basically is high GPA plus inpatient tech experience with no extracurriculars. I could see that scoring slightly higher, but at my hospital that doesn't give enough points for an interview compared to the competition. Many of our applicants have high GPA plus extracurriculars plus inpatient intern experience plus research.

Haha I know, I was expecting and would have been ecstatic with 2-4 interviews...I applied to all pediatric hospitals, don't know if that made it easier or harder.

No publications, I honestly think one of the major reasons I got a bunch of interviews was thanks to my references. Because you're right, I'm pretty sure GPA doesn't factor that heavily into most programs' criteria. Activities/community service wasn't left completely blank but it was pretty bare bones (SNPhA, Rho Chi, couple of minor community events, no leadership positions).

I don't know how much of a role it had, but another thing was that I was very fortunate in getting my preferred APPEs (and doing well) at well known hospitals on the east coast (internal med at VA, heart transplant inpatient, pediatric oncology inpatient, adult oncology inpatient, ambulatory care at hospital anti-coagulation service). Like I said before, my assumption is that I had strong references because I was also not expecting so many interviews.

Also received comments on my letter of intent as being very well written but again I can't imagine that having much influence either...

Last edited:
Haha I know, I was expecting and would have been ecstatic with 2-4 interviews...I applied to all pediatric hospitals, don't know if that made it easier or harder.

No publications, I honestly think one of the major reasons I got a bunch of interviews was thanks to my references. Because you're right, I'm pretty sure GPA doesn't factor that heavily into most programs' criteria. Activities/community service wasn't left completely blank but it was pretty bare bones (SNPhA, Rho Chi, couple of minor community events, no leadership positions).

I don't know how much of a role it had, but another thing was that I was very fortunate in getting my preferred APPEs (and doing well) at well known hospitals on the east coast (internal med at VA, heart transplant inpatient, pediatric oncology inpatient, adult oncology inpatient, ambulatory care at hospital anti-coagulation service). Like I said before, my assumption is that I had strong references because I was also not expecting so many interviews.

Also received comments on my letter of intent as being very well written but again I can't imagine that having much influence either...

Congratulations! It is tough out there and whatever you did worked.

Does anyone know anything about VA New Jersey Health Care System? It is not accredited yet. Should I be concerned? Thank you.

My co-resident works there. He seems to like it enough, and it's a pretty big VA, so lots of learning opportunities. I also see them posting jobs there pretty often. Not sure about the residency itself though.

2011. But do residency interviews really score inpatient intern/tech experience differently versus retail intern experience that differently? Because the above user is basically is high GPA plus inpatient tech experience with no extracurriculars. I could see that scoring slightly higher, but at my hospital that doesn't give enough points for an interview compared to the competition. Many of our applicants have high GPA plus extracurriculars plus inpatient intern experience plus research.

We do.

We rank 1-5 on work experience, 4 points for hospital, 3 for retail, 2 if you've ever had any job (some of these kids haven't!)

This is for our rubric of just deciding which candidates to invite to interview.

It doesn't factor in much after the interview, except people with inpatient experience tend to have better anecdotes for those types of questions.

We rank 1-5 on work experience, 4 points for hospital, 3 for retail, 2 if you've ever had any job (some of these kids haven't!)

How does an applicant get 5/5?

How does an applicant get 5/5?

If at your job you took on additional roles like formulary reviews or MUEs or helped with an EMR build.

It's just one category in a screening tool.

Sorry didn't know u were referencing that person. I think I would agree with you that high GPA + hospital experience with little extracurricular wouldn't do as well in getting interviews. I suspect that it has to do with pediatric programs being less competitive? I can count on one hand the # of classmates going for ped hospitals and that trend holds true for friends going to other pharmacy schools. Who knows?

We do.

How do you rank experience in less traditional settings, i.e. long term care facilities?

How do you rank experience in less traditional settings, i.e. long term care facilities?

It would probably depend all on how they described the experience. It would probably be a 3 or 3.5.

Depends - were they doing chart audits or just filling cassettes mindlessly?

It's all about how you describe the duties. My favorite was our own intern describing spending time with the ICU clinical pharmacist in her CV - in reality she spent a day or two up there.

For those of you that matched if you don't mind sharing your stats? Would be great for those considering applying next year to kind of gauge where we stand.
-GPA: 3.76
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Midwest
-Activities: APhA, Rho Chi, ACCP
-Leadership positions: Rho Chi Historian for 1 year
-Community service: health fairs and organization events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 4 years as a retail intern, 0 hospital experience before rotations
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
-Research experience: I didn't include any on my CV yet and didn't have a poster for midyear, but I did talk about it during interviews and presented a poster in April
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12, mostly large academic medical centers
-Number of interview invites: 3
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): #1 choice, small academic medical center in KCMO.

My advice for P3s: Apply broadly - none of the large academic medical centers or VAs invited me to interview. I am so very grateful that I applied to a mix of hospitals - don't overestimate yourself. Also, some of the less competitive places I interviewed at had residents that were so completely in love with their program and were moving on to great career options. I had a wide variety of rotations that were in hospitals that I did very well at, but matching is very competitive. If you want to do a certain area of pharmacy, set up rotations with those locations and preceptors if you can afford it. Also, do practice interviews at your school as much as possible. I started very unconfident but surprised myself and found out that I actually was very good at interviewing and I could use that confidence in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Found out at 8am ET

- GPA - 3.6
- 2/4 yr program
- Geographic location: Northeast
- Activities: SSHP, SPPAG, organized and attended some clinics/outreach programs, additional research experience
- Leadership positions: Secretly of two organizations
- Community service: Volunteered at a few indigent health clinics and poison prevention programs
- Pharmacy work experience: hospital pharm tech- 3 years, community- 5 yrs
- Non-pharm work experience - none relevant
- Number and types of residencies applied to: 9 PGY1, all general. 8 were large academic teaching instiutions
- Number interview offers: 9, accepted 8 interviews
- Ranked 5, matched with my #1, large program in the NE

Advice for prospective residents: Don't stress too much about your GPA, I am proof that you don't need a 4.0 GPA to get interview invitations at all of the programs that you apply to. The most important advice I could give is to make strong relationships with pharmacists/mentors/preceptors on rotations and in school. Every interview I attended commented on the strength of my recommendation letters and I think that, combined with my strong research experience with CDTM, helped me a lot.

- GPA - 3.15
- 4-year program
- Geographic location: Pacific Northwest (Oregon)
- Activities: publication with ACCP, NCPA Business Plan Competition
- Leadership positions: P3-4 class president, P2 executive council secretary
- Community service: outreaches and flu clinics (about 1-2 per quarter term)
- Pharmacy work experience: Walgreens pharmacy intern P2-P4 year
- Non-pharm work experience - none relevant
- Number and types of residencies applied to: 10 PGY1 - inpatient, ambulatory, and retail
- Number interview offers: 7 interview offers
- Ranked 7, matched with my #2, Roseburg VA

Advice for prospective residents: Strong recommendation letters will get you an interview if everything else on the residency's checklist is fulfilled. Pay attention to each type of recommendation letter each program requires. Clearly, my GPA wasn't strong and I received interviews to all my top choices. Do research/projects outside of pharmacy classes to distinguish yourself above your peers and gives you ammo to talk about during your interviews. For your personal statement, save your stories for the interview. Get straight to the point and know what you are looking for.

Do you feel it was your gpa that got you interviews?

Do you feel it was your gpa that got you interviews?
Sorry about the late response!

Nope, GPA didn't factor too much into our rankings from what I know...used more as a indicator of whether you would likely be able to pass the boards and get your license in a timely fashion.

I think the two main things that got me interviews were:
1. Having done a really strong set of APPE rotations at well known institutions and getting what I assume were decent recommendations from them.
2. Work experience throughout school.