Match List 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean I think it's still a difficult place to match in terms of location but in terms of prestige it's def not anywhere near any of the CA academic programs. I know Scripps Green IM in San Diego is also extremely hard to match because it's essentially within the research park of La Jolla (which has Salk, Scripps Research Institute, LIAI, and Sanford Preby's next door)

I saw a DO IM resident at Scripps Green a few years back, so I believe they are open to DO's, despite being difficult to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

That Cardiothoracic surg match looks awesome, and even more so as it looks like they only take one resident per year? Last year the position was awarded to a LECOM grad. Two DO's in back to back years is nice, but what does that say about the desirability of the position? It seems off that such an exclusive position wouldn't be vyed for more by one of the many CA grads.

Seriously? Since a D.O. gets the spot you assume it's not a desired position? Nice...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? Since a D.O. gets the spot you assume it's not a desired position? Nice...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I didn't say it wasn't desirable! I'm just playing the numbers with 9 other CA schools and how many spots they have to offer per year. It looks like there's only one, which is derm-like.

Bottom line - it's an awesome match.

Last edited:
I mean I think it's still a difficult place to match in terms of location but in terms of prestige it's def not anywhere near any of the CA academic programs. I know Scripps Green IM in San Diego is also extremely hard to match because it's essentially within the research park of La Jolla (which has Salk, Scripps Research Institute, LIAI, and Sanford Preby's next door)

I bet. When I look at the roster, it seems like being born in CA is a requirement to match there. LOL

Sorry for being such a novice, but just wanted to clarify this list I found listing the match %s for each school. This is strictly referring to the students from each school who matched AOA, correct? What about "Non-match" and "Non-participants"? The numbers seem wonky to me. :(

https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2016sklstats.html

Yeah... here you go.
And I have to apologize. I don't see the Utah anesthesiology match on there. I'd heard about it from a classmate but it looks like I can't confirm. This should be a pretty comprehensive list.
This file seems to be corrupted and can't be opened. Is there another source like google drive where it can be viewed? Much appreciated!

these threads have gotten so ridiculously repetitive its kind of funny. it used to be different I swear.
now:
-xcom match list

- wow I really like that one match

-I agree, great singular match out of the hundreds of matches in the list

-I disagree, that program sucks

-yea they usually take DOs so its actually a ****ty match

-meattornado

-no that one match though

-repeat x every match list

Reactions: 7 users
these threads have gotten so ridiculously repetitive its kind of funny. it used to be different I swear.
now:
-xcom match list

-meattornado

I've given up on trying to talk sense into the posters in this thread... and on this forum in general.

Reactions: 1 users
impressed to see UCI IM match as it used to be very DO unfriendly and not easy to get in

Members don't see this ad :)
now:
-xcom match list

-meattornado

Don't forget the annual 4 pages of commentary comparing the differences between UCSF/UCSF Fresno and UChicago/UChicago Northshore

Reactions: 2 users
Not so sure about UCSF-Fresno being extremely difficult to match into. They have a lot of DOs and IMGs/FMGs in their program, from what I have seen on their current resident roster.

http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/internal/juniors.html

UCSF - Fresno IM program I know is locally biased. Whether it be DO or IMG, if you have any local ties to the Central Valley, chances are you will be ranked pretty high on their list. This years IM match, over 50% of oncoming residents have local ties to the valley.

Seems like UC Irvine and UCSF Fresno consistently accept a few DO's into their IM program but no doubt they are hard to get into simply because they are on the west coast!

There's a select of few DO's who have fairly matched into other specialties such as Emergency Medicine and Gen. Surgery. I recall "two" IMG who matched into the programs Gen. Surgery and Emergency Medicine program, but of course they were the valley.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
impressed to see UCI IM match as it used to be very DO unfriendly and not easy to get in

That was from KCU. The grad was ranked 1st in the class I believe. I have a feeling the other KCU grad who matched ENT at Tulane received a perfect score on the comlex and somewhere in the 260s or 270s on the USMLE.

Don't forget the annual 4 pages of commentary comparing the differences between UCSF/UCSF Fresno and UChicago/UChicago Northshore

I really don't see the big deal with stating the fact that UCSF Fresno and Northshore are far far away in terms of competitiveness when compared to UCSF and UChicago Medical center. I'm not saying UCSF Fresno and Northshore aren't hard to get into but it needs to be grounded that DO's are locked out of UCSF and UChicago for IM as well as a multitude of specialties.

The only reason I bring it up is because every single year we get a match list stating "IM - UChicago Medical Center" instead of "Northshore University Health System". Also it's presented during things like grad ceremonies as such and it's written as "we match our grads into prestigious places like UChicago every year" on the website. To me, that's a little shady and they should be upfront with their match list.

Is it harder to match to a residency e.g. IM in NorCal as a DO student? For a school that's located in NorCal, it looks like most of the CA matches are either in southern or central California. I'm talking about Touro-CA match list. I'm an incoming Touro CA student. Just want to know what my chances are to match to a NorCal IM spot because most of my family and friends are in Bay Area.

UCSF - Fresno IM program I know is locally biased. Whether it be DO or IMG, if you have any local ties to the Central Valley, chances are you will be ranked pretty high on their list. This years IM match, over 50% of oncoming residents have local ties to the valley.

There's a select of few DO's who have fairly matched into other specialties such as Emergency Medicine and Gen. Surgery. I recall "two" IMG who matched into the programs Gen. Surgery and Emergency Medicine program, but of course they were the valley.

Confirms the post I made after that one.

Does actually having ties back to a certain locale increase one's chances of matching to said program you think?

Does actually having ties back to a certain locale increase one's chances of matching to said program you think?

For this particular program I believe so. I work at a facility that's affiliated with the program. It's been exhausted many times by PD's, that they want to invest in doctors whom they believe will stick around after finishing residency. There was an article written not too long ago where the program have graduated over 3,000 residents in the past 4 decades, 40% of the graduates stuck around and practiced medicine in the valley.

For this particular program I believe so. I work at a facility that's affiliated with the program. It's been exhausted many times by PD's, that they want to invest in doctors whom they believe will stick around after finishing residency. There was an article written not too long ago where the program have graduated over 3,000 residents in the past 4 decades, 40% of the graduates stuck around and practiced medicine in the valley.
I'm not familiar with the normal attrition rates, is 40% a poor number?

ahh I see. Appreciate the reply.

It's hard to tell without knowing other programs census. I can only assume it to be a good thing, being that the San Joaquin Valley have a high physician shortage and keeping a good chunk of them.

One of those "mission oriented" residency programs I take it. Kind of interesting to know, but makes sense that they would choose applicants in this manner.

Is it harder to match to a residency e.g. IM in NorCal as a DO student? For a school that's located in NorCal, it looks like most of the CA matches are either in southern or central California. I'm talking about Touro-CA match list. I'm an incoming Touro CA student. Just want to know what my chances are to match to a NorCal IM spot because most of my family and friends are in Bay Area.

This is kind of like what asking your odds are to get into X medical school as a college freshman. Boards, clinical grades, class rank.. all that is going to determine what your chances are.

I do think for residency it's a bit more difficult to limit yourself to one geographic area though.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to live there UCSF-Fresno is good for almost everything (I'm not sure about their FM - seems awfully opposed). I recently visited the area and they have a huge CT surgery center and they serve a big population that can't go all the way to SF for care. The area isn't really for me though.

That said, it is very different than UCSF main in terms of prestige and academic opportunities.

Varies by program. Some programs look for it, others look for other qualities. I know of one low-mid-tier university program that especially likes taking couples and families, because they want people who will set down roots.

I don't know about Fresno, but 40% staying in the area is pretty solid. Unless you're in a big city with lots of hospitals, practices, and opportunities, most people move away. About 2/3 do tend to stay in-state though, but that's probably the reason they went to the residency in the first place. I'd say that anything at or greater than 25-30% staying in the area is good for a rural or less desirable location.

Last edited:
Some of you people need new hobbies; learn Spanish, go hiking, volunteer.

Family Medicine
Alaska Family Medicine Residency Alaska Anchorage 2

Guess these two people enjoy extremes
Florida --> Alaska
Yikes

Reactions: 5 users
I don't really know how competitive a residency it is but that internal med at cedars Sinai seems really solid!

I suppose the more accurate statement would be, not a lot of DOs match there, so it must have been tough. Congrats to the guy/girl for another crack in the ceiling.

I really want to impress upon you guys that residency apps is the time to dream big. Apply broad. Obviously have backups and be realistic, but it might be worth it to apply to programs that you're really interested in that don't take DOs. At worst you lose an app fee.

Anybody heard any news on AZCOM's 2016 match? Been looking for weeks and haven't come across it anywhere besides a file that was corrupted.