Match Results, Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to the Good Samaritan Hospital, West Islip, NY match for OBGYN! Solid program with a great program director.

Members don't see this ad.

Often it's not just about board scores. Even if it is a competitive specialty, how you will fit into the program and your personality go a long way.

Often it's not just about board scores. Even if it is a competitive specialty, how you will fit into the program and your personality go a long way.

I agree. Military residency selection works similar to osteopathic selection. Your aways are very important. Doing well on a rotation may not always get you a spot at X program, but the faculty at that program will go to bat for you and talk you up to other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are the other 28+ schools match lists???

Most schools wait until ALL of the matches are finished before releasing a match list. Other schools wait until the following years match to release the list.

Most schools wait until ALL of the matches are finished before releasing a match list. Other schools wait until the following years match to release the list.

LECOM waits like 5 years lol

CONGRATS to everyone that officially matched into an MD residency this morning!!!

You too! Kind of sucks we have to wait until Friday to hear where.

Match lists are so non-helpful in the overall scheme of things. Not everyone wants an MD residency so to think that everyone on that list might be unhappy is naive. If everyone on that list matched into their first choice then that is a good match. One person's top choice isn't the next person's.

So, a successful match is an individual choice and really has no bearing on the school. Almost everyone matches and hopefully that person gets one of their top choices.

A Match Day Gift for everyone. Share and Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjzL319yZc[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everybody,

I'm not a medical student, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

My girlfriend matched today at her last choice and we are both very unhappy (to say the least). She had good board scores, Honors in every rotation, and interviewed well. It is rather shocking to both of us.

In any case, is there any way to decline a match or is it contractually binding? Would it be possible to take a year off and reapply next year? In other words, are we absolutely stuck or is there a course of action that might allow us to remove ourselves from the situation?

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

Would be quite foolish to decline a spot with so many people not matching also it's a match violation I think...

Hi Everybody,

My girlfriend matched today at her last choice and we are both very unhappy (to say the least). She had good board scores, Honors in every rotation, and interviewed well. It is rather shocking to both of us.

In any case, is there any way to decline a match or is it contractually binding? Would it be possible to take a year off and reapply next year? In other words, are we absolutely stuck or is there a course of action that might allow us to remove ourselves from the situation?

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

Im only a second year, so take this with a grain of salt. However, I've heard that some program directors will help you transfer if they think you will be unhappy. I know of a few transfers from residents who present at my school.

But at the same time, they can also say "why did you rank us when we could have given the spot to someone who actually wanted to be here"

In any case, is there any way to decline a match or is it contractually binding? Would it be possible to take a year off and reapply next year? In other words, are we absolutely stuck or is there a course of action that might allow us to remove ourselves from the situation

A match establishes a binding commitment that both sides are legally required to honor. It is a violation to decline the appointment without a "serious and extreme hardship" waiver.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

She should be glad she matched.

A match establishes a binding commitment that both sides are legally required to honor. It is a violation to decline the appointment without a "serious and extreme hardship" waiver.

All a violatiob means is you are blacklisted from nrmp programs using the match. So.... um... that actually knocks out a lot of programs, but those outside the match are still open.

Also you have to resign the contract each year so that if you are unhappy you can leave and roll the dice with a new place/second round at the match.

In either case, you're better served just learning to enjoy your new location. Everyone is moving their entire life and relationships get moved across country all the time over this.

At least 2 DOs matched MD ortho today. One at Cleveland Clinic and the other, who's a true baller btw, at Texas Tech... DOs represent!

CCF dude is a baller from my school and has been committed and working his arse off since day one of med school.

Also met a DO today who matched Geisinger I believe.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

This makes no sense. If she is SO unhappy, she's looking for a way out, WHY rank this place? You knew it was a possibility you could match there. And frankly, I think you're overestimating your girlfriend's credentials, interviewing skills, etc. Think about her list: each of the places she ranked above her last rank, placed her low enough on their ROL that the program filled with candidates they preferred more. Sorry to be blunt, but you need a dose of reality. She matched, and that's a great thing and something to be proud of. You guys should take comfort in the fact that she has a place to train, and did not SOAP, which it appears she came close to.

CCF dude is a baller from my school and has been committed and working his arse off since day one of med school.

Also met a DO today who matched Geisinger I believe.

I know three other guys from your class that matched DO ortho, one of them would be my coresident, all great guys. I learned a lot from one of them who was a PA before med school. Such a humble dude.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.
What a sense of entitlement. She shouldn't have ranked if she didn't want it. She should be grateful she has a place willing to train her, and honestly, I seriously doubt she was a great applicant if everyone put her in low priority.

What a sense of entitlement. She shouldn't have ranked if she didn't want it. She should be grateful she has a place willing to train her, and honestly, I seriously doubt she was a great applicant if everyone put her in low priority.

It's still disappointing to be assigned to a place you didn't want to go. Yes they are fortunate to have a spot, but it's very difficult to accept (especially right now) going somewhere you are willing to go but may not have wanted to.

You rank undesirable places because it's better than the alternative - which is SOAPing...not because it is a place you necessarily would want to go.

Shame on you for judging this person. This is a tough week emotionally for every 4th year..because we all know someone in this situation or someone who had to SOAP this week and they are really suffering right now. Hold your tongue until you have been through this process!

Hi Everybody,

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

Generally no. The match is a binding process. If she didn't want to go there she should not have ranked the program. This year being a particularly brutal match, there were literally dozens of extremely qualified students with board scores 230+ who didn't match AT ALL. We don't know what her "good board scores" are, nor what specialty she was trying to match into.

I would highly advise her to go to the program and give it a shot. Getting a residency is FAR better than not, and from the projections the match will just be getting more and more brutal every year. You may find the program isn't so bad. And if it is, she can discuss transferring with the PD later.

Or she can call the PD now, see if they will release her from the match (which puts the program in a bind as well, since they are agreeing to be a resident short... thus not commonly granted) and then hope and pray to match next year. If you do this, I implore her to not rank a program she is unwilling to attend. I will also say her chances of matching may be significantly lesser having declined a match. Many PDs look down on those who decline a match as it may appear the applicant is insincere and only wants a medical career if they get their dream residency.

I would strongly advise against the latter course of action, but it is of course her decision.

We are not judging the student in question here. The poster is admittedly not a medical student and this process is frustrating at best for everyone involved.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

You are contractually obligated to appear for your residency. That said, if you show up on the first day, you can then resign, having fulfilled the requirements of the contract. If you don't, you will not be able to go through the match the following year.

However, if you show up and resign on the first day, the PD will certainly remember this and you can forget about getting any help from the program in the subsequent match, and you drastically increase your chances of never matching.

The best advice is to go to the residency and stick it out for the year. If you find that you absolutely are unhappy, then talk to your PD about transferring at the end of the year. You must have your game face and A-game on at all times during residency, so you can get a good LOR.

I know three other guys from your class that matched DO ortho, one of them would be my coresident, all great guys. I learned a lot from one of them who was a PA before med school. Such a humble dude.

Yup I know the PA dude and he's fantastic, agreed one of the most humble guys I know. Congrats on matching! I was talking to them both yesterday and the auditions described seem insanely brutal. One of em rotated through 7 programs I wanna say but was on the road living out of his car for 6 months, no vacation month etc

Friend of mine from SOMA just matched into Family and Preventitive Medicine at Loma Linda. He is pretty stoked about it! (I know nothing about the quality of the program. Just thought I'd post it so you could see where someone else was headed)

Yup I know the PA dude and he's fantastic, agreed one of the most humble guys I know. Congrats on matching! I was talking to them both yesterday and the auditions described seem insanely brutal. One of em rotated through 7 programs I wanna say but was on the road living out of his car for 6 months, no vacation month etc

:eek: WOW. thats commitment. Definitely sounds like a deserved match

DMU kids landed Johns Hopkins/Sinai IM, Ohio State IM, Indiana U Emegeny med, Dartmouth Anesthesia, Case Western Anesthesia, among a lot of other great matches. Congrats c/o 2013!

Last edited:
Congrats everyone! :) NYCOM student matched into Columbia's IM program at St. Luke's Roosevelt in Manhattan (soon to be Mt. Sinai because of the Mt. Sinai-Continuum Health Partners merger?).

Also a NYCOM student going to Westchester Medical Center Children's Hospital. If I hear more I will post.

It's still disappointing to be assigned to a place you didn't want to go. Yes they are fortunate to have a spot, but it's very difficult to accept (especially right now) going somewhere you are willing to go but may not have wanted to.

You rank undesirable places because it's better than the alternative - which is SOAPing...not because it is a place you necessarily would want to go.

Shame on you for judging this person. This is a tough week emotionally for every 4th year..because we all know someone in this situation or someone who had to SOAP this week and they are really suffering right now. Hold your tongue until you have been through this process!
My guess is that I'm older than you and have lived through many more emotional things than "omg, I'm getting to be trained to be a physician in the specialty of my choice at a place that wasn't my first choice," so when I don't hold my tongue, it's because I've had a life to deal with. Considering how many people don't get into medical school or match, this screams entitlement and first world problems. There's nothing wrong with being upset that you didn't get to where you want or that things aren't the way you want, but it's entirely a different to prefer to break a contract, prefer to be unmatched for a year and be a total baby about it. Be upset, perhaps talk to the PD and look for an alternative, but grow up and suck it up. Life can be a lot worse than getting to become a doctor in your specialty choice at a place you didn't rank 1st.

DMU kids landed Johns Hopkins/Sinai IM, Ohio State IM, Indiana U Emegeny med, Dartmouth Anesthesia, among a lot of other great matches. Congrats c/o 2013!

That program is definitely NOT a "Hopkins" type program. It's a small community IM program with mostly FMGs, but they have a VERY loose affiliation with Hopkins through the cardiology department or something, and so they try to trump it up a ton so people get confused and think they're somehow related to Hopkins.

Just FYI, since I've seen other people on this board mention this program as if it was truly a Hopkins brand name.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks very much.

- Bill R.

Be totally happy to have matched at all. Take if from me who had to scramble and move across the country again to get into residency. I agree with the others, if she didn't want to go there, it should have not been on the list. Be happy to have a residency. It is a very short time of your life and then you can move and work where you want to. To try to get out of it is career suicide and just not worth the anguish.

My guess is that I'm older than you

LOL. The age card, classic.

All I'm saying is that this doesn't scream entitlement to me. I'd be extremely disappointed if I fell to the bottom of my list as well and the same thoughts would be going through my head most likely, that's natural. It takes time to get used to disappontment (as you apparently know, in your old age) and some handle it better than others. Yes they should ultimately be grateful, but I don't think they're 'entitled' just because they are not thrilled about where they are contractually obligated to go next year.

That program is definitely NOT a "Hopkins" type program. It's a small community IM program with mostly FMGs, but they have a VERY loose affiliation with Hopkins through the cardiology department or something, and so they try to trump it up a ton so people get confused and think they're somehow related to Hopkins.

Just FYI, since I've seen other people on this board mention this program as if it was truly a Hopkins brand name.

Ah, well. It sounds cool tho :D

LOL. The age card, classic.

All I'm saying is that this doesn't scream entitlement to me. I'd be extremely disappointed if I fell to the bottom of my list as well and the same thoughts would be going through my head most likely, that's natural. It takes time to get used to disappontment (as you apparently know, in your old age) and some handle it better than others. Yes they should ultimately be grateful, but I don't think they're 'entitled' just because they are not thrilled about where they are contractually obligated to go next year.
I only mention my age because I want to point out that I've had life experience and not that I'm some 19 year old pre-med that doesn't understand things. And as said, it is legitimate to be disappointed and sad, but another thing is when the suggestion of not fulfilling your contractual obligations and be preferring of being unmatched and waste a year. She shouldn't have ranked that place if she truly would prefer to be unmatched, so no, it's not about how the game is played. The game is played like that if you prefer to match than not match at all; she seems to prefer being unmatched.

I only mention my age because I want to point out that I've had life experience and not that I'm some 19 year old pre-med that doesn't understand things. And as said, it is legitimate to be disappointed and sad, but another thing is when the suggestion of not fulfilling your contractual obligations and be preferring of being unmatched and waste a year. She shouldn't have ranked that place if she truly would prefer to be unmatched, so no, it's not about how the game is played. The game is played like that if you prefer to match than not match at all; she seems to prefer being unmatched.

Kind of like the people that apply MD and DO, then reapply the next year because they only got accepted DO?

Kind of like the people that apply MD and DO, then reapply the next year because they only got accepted DO?

Not quite. You can choose not to go to medical school and decide whether or not you realy want to be a doctor. If you back out and don't get in again, no harm, no foul, no debt and you work a minimum wage job and move on.

If you match in a residency it is a legal binding contract. Should you back out of that for whatever reason, you likely will never get into another residency program and will be blacklisted. So you will be a doctor without a residency program who will never be able to work as a doctor. This happened to a friend who couldn't pass step II, couldn't get into a residency after medical school and ended up going to pharmacy school instread.

Bottom line: don't make a match list that is not agreeable to yourself because you may end up on the bottom of the list where you never imagined you would be. But in the end you will have a residency to train you and a career at the end of a relatively short period of time.

Another NYCOM match: Anesthesia to Albert Einstein College of Medicine's Brookyn campus: Maimonides Medical Center.

I could go through my newsfeed and post PCOM stuff, but I don't have the time (ok, more like the desire) for that.

I know a classmate matched IM at Penn (HUP, not Pennsy Hosp).
PM&R did well, matching at some "big face value" places.
I don't know much about anesthesia programs but there are one or two going to the Cleveland clinic.

Overall, people did well and most are going where they want to.

I'll post my schools match list when I get it. Not sure how we did in comparison to other schools as we had more than I expected doing SOAP.

I was able to get EM/IM at an MD program in New York. Not sure how cool people think that is, but I was pretty pleased.

Congrats everyone! :) NYCOM student matched into Columbia's IM program at St. Luke's Roosevelt in Manhattan (soon to be Mt. Sinai because of the Mt. Sinai-Continuum Health Partners merger?).

Also a NYCOM student going to Westchester Medical Center Children's Hospital. If I hear more I will post.

Another NYCOM match: Anesthesia to Albert Einstein College of Medicine's Brookyn campus: Maimonides Medical Center.

not sure if you are intentionally or unintentionally misrepresenting these programs but St. Luke's and Maimonides are very loosely affiliated with those parent institutions and are in no way prestigious matches. In the case of St Luke's IM, the program is filled with low-ranked US MDs, DOs and FMGs.

Ah, well. It sounds cool tho :D

this is exactly why carib schools and some/most DO schools list their matches in this deceptive way ....makes them sound better than they actually are

I'll post my schools match list when I get it. Not sure how we did in comparison to other schools as we had more than I expected doing SOAP.

I was able to get EM/IM at an MD program in New York. Not sure how cool people think that is, but I was pretty pleased.

congrats! i saw where you matched in another thread and i'm very happy for you. EM/IM has such few spots it's awesome that you were able to snag one in a desirable location

Congratulations!

I'm happy it all worked out for you in the end.

this is exactly why carib schools and some/most DO schools list their matches in this deceptive way ....makes them sound better than they actually are

It's not deceptive for the school to publish it this way... That is what the program is called for christ sake. http://www.lifebridgehealth.org/Sinai/JohnsHopkinsUniversitySinaiHospitalPrograminIntern.aspx. Should I have included an asterisk or something? It's just easy to interpret as a very prestigious match when it may or may not be the case, not deception by the school reporting it.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't intentionally misrepresenting anything. I know both people that matched, and the one that matched at Maimonides told me that the hospital is now owned by Einstein (it was in the news two weeks ago, that Maimonides now belongs to Einstein). My friend was told by her PD that the program will now be joint with Einstein's and share academic faculty, etc because Maimo is now an official teaching campus of Einstein.

As for St. Luke's, all I know is that it is a new Mt. Sinai affiliate.

Prestige or not, these are still two excellent hospitals in NYC and I'm happy for my friends, who were competitive applicants, matched there.

Last edited: