Match Results, Class of 2013

Started by bleeker10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I reading the correctly as ortho at the REAL mayo? That's kind of... surprising. Your google map skills leave something to be desired (no hospitals indicated...). I mean it does say Rochester, Minnesota on there... but who knows sometimes these things get lost in translation. "I matched at Mayo" which means "I matched at satellite campus X" gets translated into "I matched at the mothership." Very very common in DO match threads for matches to be waaaaaay overstated.

It is the real Mayo Ortho. Yeah the google map is not finished yet. They will add in the actual hospital names eventually.
 
Am I reading the correctly as ortho at the REAL mayo? That's kind of... surprising. Your google map skills leave something to be desired (no hospitals indicated...). I mean it does say Rochester, Minnesota on there... but who knows sometimes these things get lost in translation. "I matched at Mayo" which means "I matched at satellite campus X" gets translated into "I matched at the mothership." Very very common in DO match threads for matches to be waaaaaay overstated.

You're right..it''s probably the other Orthopaedic surgery residency in Rochester Minnesota.
 
You're right..it''s probably the other Orthopaedic surgery residency in Rochester Minnesota.

The point he was trying to make was that if the person making that map was not, say, the Dean of Student Affairs or someone who had the official rank list and all the info in front of them, it is conceivable that word of mouth of someone matching "Ortho at Mayo" could have indeed been Mayo in AZ or FL (although we have no real reason to believe this was the case to be honest, and those are still pretty good places).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The point he was trying to make was that if the person making that map was not, say, the Dean of Student Affairs or someone who had the official rank list and all the info in front of them, it is conceivable that word of mouth of someone matching "Ortho at Mayo" could have indeed been Mayo in AZ or FL (although we have no real reason to believe this was the case to be honest, and those are still pretty good places).

yup 🙂
 
can we have a rotation thread WITHOUT people talking...

just have the results...school after school?

thanks
 
The point he was trying to make was that if the person making that map was not, say, the Dean of Student Affairs or someone who had the official rank list and all the info in front of them, it is conceivable that word of mouth of someone matching "Ortho at Mayo" could have indeed been Mayo in AZ or FL (although we have no real reason to believe this was the case to be honest, and those are still pretty good places).

I understood his point; he just happened to state it in a douchey way and got a sarcastic response. Even if that match was FL, or AZ , which it doesn't look like it is, it is still super impressive; it didn't seem really that necessary to discredit the guy posting it or the guy who actually matched by stating DO match lists tend to be "overrated"
 
can we have a rotation thread WITHOUT people talking...

just have the results...school after school?

thanks

This is the DO section...you and I are not allowed to have nice things 🙁
 
its just hard to see the list!!!!..i goto go through 9000 posts of people who compare the number of people who got into:

ortho anal specialty vs those that got into primary care

---people have jobs thats all that matters
 
I think you either have scattered plans for, or don't know what to do in medicine in your future.

There's nothing wrong being proud of becoming a DO, whereas in your case, it's very confusing: you're belittling the DO education and AOA programs although still aren't quitting it. Why? 😕

MD/DO is just the same degree name for me and many others. It'd allow me to practice medicine legally as a "physician/doctor" in the US. Period.

Once more, I'm kindly insisting on that you should quit DO if you feel yourself so "desperate" in medicine being as a DO (well, if you're or gonna really be one, though 😎.)

Let's stay on topic of this thread from this point forward and stop arguing about your setbacks in medicine. There're (and will be) many DOs, who are (and will be) very successful, happy, and wealthy physicians in the US.

Yet again, I'll make the point that the quality (or lack thereof) is highly dependent on which specific program (either allo or osteo) you're looking at.

I'll also make the point that you're not in DO school yet. Period. When I was at this same point in my career, I too thought I knew everything about the game and acted like it on these boards (go read my super old posts to see some of this embarrassing stuff). Then, I got into school and **** got real. I'm not going to sugar coat it - most of the complaints and issues posted around here are legit. They're consistent with my experience in DO school. They're not BS. And while you're totally correct that you can pass through the osteopathic system for both med school and GME and come out as a potentially prosperous doctor, you'll see that many of the practicing DOs who trained in the osteopathic GME system are not exactly at the zenith of their profession. Hell, there's attendings in our affiliate system that have literally done medical school, residency and fellowship in the same small hospital system. They're myopic as hell, have no idea how medicine is practiced anywhere else, and often don't have the depth of knowledge you'd expect. If that's the type of doc you want to be, then have at it - you'll certainly still be able to make money - but having seen the weaknesses in the osteopathic system in medical school, I'm not hanging around for a second round to see if it's any different. Given that upwards of 50% of DOs ultimately go ACGME for residency, chances are you'll feel the same way when the time comes.

(This isn't to say there aren't good DO residency programs - there are - but the quality is quite variable. EMT2ER ended up at a decent place, but not every place on the DO side is like this. I'm also speaking more for IM/FM/primary care-type specialties than anything else...AOA ortho, for instance, is supposed to be pretty legit, but stuff like rads or anesthesia is often thought to be more questionable.)
 
Last edited:
Yet again, I'll make the point that the quality (or lack thereof) is highly dependent on which specific program (either allo or osteo) you're looking at.

I'll also make the point that you're not in DO school yet. Period. When I was at this same point in my career, I too thought I knew everything about the game and acted like it on these boards (go read my super old posts to see some of this embarrassing stuff). Then, I got into school and **** got real. I'm not going to sugar coat it - most of the complaints and issues posted around here are legit. They're consistent with my experience in DO school. They're not BS. And while you're totally correct that you can pass through the osteopathic system for both med school and GME and come out as a potentially prosperous doctor, you'll see that many of the practicing DOs who trained in the osteopathic GME system are not exactly at the zenith of their profession. Hell, there's attendings in our affiliate system that have literally done medical school, residency and fellowship in the same small hospital system. They're myopic as hell, have no idea how medicine is practiced anywhere else, and often don't have the depth of knowledge you'd expect. If that's the type of doc you want to be, then have at it - you'll certainly still be able to make money - but having seen the weaknesses in the osteopathic system in medical school, I'm not hanging around for a second round to see if it's any different. Given that upwards of 50% of DOs ultimately go ACGME for residency, chances are you'll feel the same way when the time comes.

(This isn't to say there aren't good DO residency programs - there are - but the quality is quite variable. EMT2ER ended up at a decent place, but not every place on the DO side is like this.)
+1

Just wait until clinicals. The variation of quality in the hospitals and residents you see will be crazy. On one end of the spectrum, excellent 600+ bed, everything in it hospitals with superb residents, and on the other a 100+/- bed "hospital" owned by this guy who has a bunch of contracts with ALFs, SNFs, prisons, and high schools and pimps out the residents-who function as M3s because they haven't studied since M3, except with longer white coats-and medical students to do his dirty work.
 
Yet again, I'll make the point that the quality (or lack thereof) is highly dependent on which specific program (either allo or osteo) you're looking at.

I'll also make the point that you're not in DO school yet. Period. When I was at this same point in my career, I too thought I knew everything about the game and acted like it on these boards (go read my super old posts to see some of this embarrassing stuff). Then, I got into school and **** got real. I'm not going to sugar coat it - most of the complaints and issues posted around here are legit. They're consistent with my experience in DO school. They're not BS. And while you're totally correct that you can pass through the osteopathic system for both med school and GME and come out as a potentially prosperous doctor, you'll see that many of the practicing DOs who trained in the osteopathic GME system are not exactly at the zenith of their profession. Hell, there's attendings in our affiliate system that have literally done medical school, residency and fellowship in the same small hospital system. They're myopic as hell, have no idea how medicine is practiced anywhere else, and often don't have the depth of knowledge you'd expect. If that's the type of doc you want to be, then have at it - you'll certainly still be able to make money - but having seen the weaknesses in the osteopathic system in medical school, I'm not hanging around for a second round to see if it's any different. Given that upwards of 50% of DOs ultimately go ACGME for residency, chances are you'll feel the same way when the time comes.

(This isn't to say there aren't good DO residency programs - there are - but the quality is quite variable. EMT2ER ended up at a decent place, but not every place on the DO side is like this.)


+1

Just wait until clinicals. The variation of quality in the hospitals and residents you see will be crazy. On one end of the spectrum, excellent 600+ bed, everything in it hospitals with superb residents, and on the other a 100+/- bed "hospital" owned by this guy who has a bunch of contracts with ALFs, SNFs, prisons, and high schools and pimps out the residents-who function as M3s because they haven't studied since M3, except with longer white coats-and medical students to do his dirty work.

You're right in that I haven't started studying at the med school, yet. However, your comments about DO physicians sound really harsh. I'm not interested in responding them, but I'd expect some DOs or residents would chime in and discuss their experiences and medical values with you two. You may go to resident forums and share those harsh comments to get the responses you deserve there as well.

For me, I've always been a top student throughout my academic life. The reason I chose DO schools is that I'm an older, married, career changer applicant working full-time, who thought would have much better outcomes at the applications. Honestly, I was accepted by many schools, which I'm proud of. I'll definitely kill the boards in about two years and will be sharing my scores on SDN. The DO school that I've chosen to attend is PCOM, which have great clinical rotations and a solid reputation. Thus, I'm not frustrated at all about the clinical rotations, either.

Good days,
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"i've had a bad experience at my DO school" = all DO schools are terrible
You said it, not me. I'm simply relaying my n=1 from the past 4 years. When I used to lurk here as a premed, the majority of the threads here were filled with sunshine. They didn't get into specifics about who, or what, or why. In retrospect I didn't know much before I jumped in. Now I tell you about my experiences and its not what you want to hear. That's fine. It's just what happened to me and what I think about osteopathic medical school education. All the 4th years that have posted here are headed to residency from what I've gathered so maybe that's all you need to see.
 
Last edited:
You're right in that I haven't started studying at the med school, yet. However, your comments about DO physicians sound really harsh. I'm not interested in responding them, but I'd expect some DOs or residents would chime in and discuss their experiences and medical values with you two. You may go to resident forums and share those harsh comments to get the responses you deserve there as well.

For me, I've always been a top student throughout my academic life. The reason I chose DO schools is that I'm an older, married, career changer applicant working full-time, who thought would have much better outcomes at the applications. Honestly, I was accepted by many schools, which I'm proud of. I'll definitely kill the boards in about two years and will be sharing my scores on SDN. The DO school that I've chosen to attend is PCOM, which have great clinical rotations and a solid reputation. Thus, I'm not frustrated at all about the clinical rotations, either.

Good days,

Ugh
 
You're right in that I haven't started studying at the med school, yet. However, your comments about DO physicians sound really harsh. I'm not interested in responding them, but I'd expect some DOs or residents would chime in and discuss their experiences and medical values with you two. You may go to resident forums and share those harsh comments to get the responses you deserve there as well.

For me, I've always been a top student throughout my academic life. The reason I chose DO schools is that I'm an older, married, career changer applicant working full-time, who thought would have much better outcomes at the applications. Honestly, I was accepted by many schools, which I'm proud of. I'll definitely kill the boards in about two years and will be sharing my scores on SDN. The DO school that I've chosen to attend is PCOM, which have great clinical rotations and a solid reputation. Thus, I'm not frustrated at all about the clinical rotations, either.

Good days,

Congratulations getting into PCOM. I am about to graduate and I have no complaints with my experience at PCOM at all.

However, saying your going to kill the boards without first experiencing med school or studying for the boards for that matter just comes off way too cocky. Maybe you'll kill it, maybe you won't, but how would you know how your going to do on the boards? The COMLEX is a very unpredictable exam. Hence all the complaints on here about it.

Maybe I'm a little too modest compared to some people, but saying I'm going to do great in something I don't have any experience in just doesn't sound right.
 
Congratulations getting into PCOM. I am about to graduate and I have no complaints with my experience at PCOM at all.

However, saying your going to kill the boards without first experiencing med school or studying for the boards for that matter just comes off way too cocky. Maybe you'll kill it, maybe you won't, but how would you know how your going to do on the boards? The COMLEX is a very unpredictable exam. Hence all the complaints on here about it.

Maybe I'm a little too modest compared to some people, but saying I'm going to do great in something I don't have any experience in just doesn't sound right.

I'm not being cocky and was not responding to you originally, did I?

I just wanted to respond to those two posters the way they wrote. Besides, you can translate my post as a level of commitment for success and a level of confidence for doing it, but nothing else. I'd rather be happy with having such a committed student at your school, but sorry if it annoyed you, at all.
 
Eh. Been here 4 years. There are things that could be better in terms of our clinical education.

As far as our residencies, well you don't have to look any further than the internal medicine program.

You think PCOM ortho residency isn't a good program?
 
You said it, not me. I'm simply relaying my n=1 from the past 4 years. When I used to lurk here as a premed, the majority of the threads here were filled with sunshine. They didn't get into specifics about who, or what, or why. In retrospect I didn't know much before I jumped in. Now I tell you about my experiences and its not what you want to hear. That's fine. It's just what happened to me and what I think about osteopathic medical school education. All the 4th years that have posted here are headed to residency from what I've gathered so maybe that's all you need to see.

my, how things change! :meanie:


Sometimes I think people are just a bit too extreme in their stories...everything is either perfect, with every door open! Or everything sucks and life will slap you down.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, as always.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my, how things change! :meanie:

Sometimes I think people are just a bit too extreme in their stories...everything is either perfect, with every door open! Or everything sucks and life will slap you down.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, as always.

+1 👍

Everyone has a different personality that refracts the same level of truth, after faced with it, into various personal experiences and stories. Med school (MD or DO) seems like makes the most of the variety in this regard, though. In real life, I've shadowed many DO physicians that are happy, successful, and wealthy. On SDN, I'm not interested in healing anybody's psychological issues or misbehaviour. Honestly, I've started having a way of having fun with all of this whining, regrets, and bashing of DO schools on SDN.

...

To keep on topic of this thread, I'd love to see the match lists of PCOM and GA-PCOM.
 
I'm not being cocky and was not responding to you originally, did I?

I just wanted to respond to those two posters the way they wrote. Besides, you can translate my post as a level of commitment for success and a level of confidence for doing it, but nothing else. I'd rather be happy with having such a committed student at your school, but sorry if it annoyed you, at all.
You come off as arrogant. I will add to the anecdotes as another student actually in a DO school. Many of the stories are true. DO programs and their affiliates (hospitals, etc) are not as strong as most MD programs from my perspective. Doesn't mean you can't become highly successful and known in your field, but it appears less common than in the MD world.

It amazes me that you can say you are going to kill the boards with a straight face. You haven't even entered medical school and somehow know your future board score. And then you are telling a future classmate that he should be happy to have you. Be confident all you want, but I suggest limiting the arrogance by the time you hit the doors of PCOM as it won't garner you many friends. It's really frustrating to see this attitude.
 
guise, guise, guise
-----------------------------------------> ignore list


Now, on to the match lists please. Would like to see OSU-COM if any 4th years are lurking.
 
You come off as arrogant. I will add to the anecdotes as another student actually in a DO school. Many of the stories are true. DO programs and their affiliates (hospitals, etc) are not as strong as most MD programs from my perspective. Doesn't mean you can't become highly successful and known in your field, but it appears less common than in the MD world.

It amazes me that you can say you are going to kill the boards with a straight face. You haven't even entered medical school and somehow know your future board score. And then you are telling a future classmate that he should be happy to have you. Be confident all you want, but I suggest limiting the arrogance by the time you hit the doors of PCOM as it won't garner you many friends. It's really frustrating to see this attitude.

I'm happy that you're amazed. You should be amazed.

Actually, it's always frustrating to see some DO students, like you, bash their schools as well as other DO students and pre-meds by comparing them with imaginary MD schools, even without having a dime of experience at any of these MD schools to be able to compare.

1) If you didn't know your "truths" before starting the DO school but then started learning about them "hidden" facts, then it shows your lack of maturity in making an informed decision selecting a DO school to attend in the first place. You took a seat from someone who wanted to be a DO. You're a cold blooded cheater.

2) You shouldn't stay in this game as a DO student at a DO school if you've a such a strong feeling that you're gonna be a "desperate", "lesser" future physician than your future MD colleagues (heck, half of the MDs are foreign school graduates.)

3) If you feel you're cheated by DO schools being taught "something else" other than modern medicine, then gather with the other "desperate" DO students and sue the school or this system all. You're a mature physician candidate, you should have had some self respect, should be heard by the mass media and such. But, if you can't do that for you're a coward even to defend your educational rights, then either SHUT UP or QUIT the school. Start repaying whatever amount of student loans you've "wasted" up until this point, and move on. There're many Carib graduates who wasted millions of US dollars on student loans and couldn't get a residency, now repaying them; consider yourself one of those "day dreamers" who was awaken to the fact that you were cheated by your schools, and suck it up.

4) OR... become a real man, admit that life is full of hurdles to jump over, decide to "kill the boards" like I said, and soon become a successful physician. Nobody should be ashamed of that he/she is so determined to kill the boards, honor the classes and rotations. The result might differ from what you expect, but one has to show some determination before starting to a route.

Honestly, if you're not one of those Carib school marketing representatives, then SDN isn't a good place to bash the DO school system; noone can wipe your tears here on SDN. Nobody is pointing a gun to your face to continue to attend to a DO school, either. Please, either quit from the DO school or quit speculating so much about if the DO degree is giving a lesser education opportunity for a med student than that of the MD degree. I'm fully proud of what I've accomplished as a future PCOM student starting school in this August.

Good days,
 
I'm happy that you're amazed. You should be amazed.

Actually, it's always frustrating to see some DO students, like you, bash their schools as well as other DO students and pre-meds by comparing them with imaginary MD schools, even without having a dime of experience at any of these MD schools to be able to compare.

1) If you didn't know your "truths" before starting the DO school but then started learning about them "hidden" facts, then it shows your lack of maturity in making an informed decision selecting a DO school to attend in the first place. You took a seat from someone who wanted to be a DO. You're a cold blooded cheater.

2) You shouldn't stay in this game as a DO student at a DO school if you've a such a strong feeling that you're gonna be a "desperate", "lesser" future physician than your future MD colleagues (heck, half of the MDs are foreign school graduates.)

3) If you feel you're cheated by DO schools being taught "something else" other than modern medicine, then gather with the other "desperate" DO students and sue the school or this system all. You're a mature physician candidate, you should have had some self respect, should be heard by the mass media and such. But, if you can't do that for you're a coward even to defend your educational rights, then either SHUT UP or QUIT the school. Start repaying whatever amount of student loans you've "wasted" up until this point, and move on. There're many Carib graduates who wasted millions of US dollars on student loans and couldn't get a residency, now repaying them; consider yourself one of those "day dreamers" who was awaken to the fact that you were cheated by your schools, and suck it up.

4) OR... become a real man, admit that life is full of hurdles to jump over, decide to "kill the boards" like I said, and soon become a successful physician. Nobody should be ashamed of that he/she is so determined to kill the boards, honor the classes and rotations. The result might differ from what you expect, but one has to show some determination before starting to a route.

Honestly, if you're not one of those Carib school marketing representatives, then SDN isn't a good place to bash the DO school system; noone can wipe your tears here on SDN. Nobody is pointing a gun to your face to continue to attend to a DO school, either. Please, either quit from the DO school or quit speculating so much about if the DO degree is giving a lesser education opportunity for a med student than that of the MD degree. I'm fully proud of what I've accomplished as a future PCOM student starting school in this August.

Good days,

My brain hurts.

To all: Please stop responding to this self-righteous pre-med [troll] who thinks he knows everything. He'll have 4 years to get set right. More like 2 months though.
 
Last edited:
My brain hurts.

To all: Please stop responding to this self-righteous pre-med [troll] who thinks he knows everything. He'll have 4 years to get set right. More like 2 months though.

It's a good thing to use it at least sometimes.

P.S.: No, I'm not a troll, but you might be one.
 
I just finished clinicals, I'm stating what I've seen and somehow it's interpreted as bashing. I'm talking about the deficiencies in a product I paid for. Of course I've gotten to where I've wanted at the end of it, it doesn't mean I shouldn't point out what's lacking in the $300,000 product I purchased. It's not a matter of "manning up" as you mention...I finished medical school, which in itself requires a strong mentality. I think it's good to have a positive outlook, but to ignore the details of the "hurdles" you speak of is foolish. Ok I'm done, back to the lounge.
 
I just finished clinicals, I'm stating what I've seen and somehow it's interpreted as bashing. I'm talking about the deficiencies in a product I paid for. Of course I've gotten to where I've wanted at the end of it, it doesn't mean I shouldn't point out what's lacking in the $300,000 product I purchased. It's not a matter of "manning up" as you mention...I finished medical school, which in itself requires a strong mentality. I think it's good to have a positive outlook, but to ignore the details of the "hurdles" you speak of is foolish. Ok I'm done, back to the lounge.

Have fun brotha', you derserve it 👍... will join you brothas at lounge in a few. 🙄
 
I'm happy that you're amazed. You should be amazed.

Actually, it's always frustrating to see some DO students, like you, bash their schools as well as other DO students and pre-meds by comparing them with imaginary MD schools, even without having a dime of experience at any of these MD schools to be able to compare.

1) If you didn't know your "truths" before starting the DO school but then started learning about them "hidden" facts, then it shows your lack of maturity in making an informed decision selecting a DO school to attend in the first place. You took a seat from someone who wanted to be a DO. You're a cold blooded cheater.

2) You shouldn't stay in this game as a DO student at a DO school if you've a such a strong feeling that you're gonna be a "desperate", "lesser" future physician than your future MD colleagues (heck, half of the MDs are foreign school graduates.)

3) If you feel you're cheated by DO schools being taught "something else" other than modern medicine, then gather with the other "desperate" DO students and sue the school or this system all. You're a mature physician candidate, you should have had some self respect, should be heard by the mass media and such. But, if you can't do that for you're a coward even to defend your educational rights, then either SHUT UP or QUIT the school. Start repaying whatever amount of student loans you've "wasted" up until this point, and move on. There're many Carib graduates who wasted millions of US dollars on student loans and couldn't get a residency, now repaying them; consider yourself one of those "day dreamers" who was awaken to the fact that you were cheated by your schools, and suck it up.

4) OR... become a real man, admit that life is full of hurdles to jump over, decide to "kill the boards" like I said, and soon become a successful physician. Nobody should be ashamed of that he/she is so determined to kill the boards, honor the classes and rotations. The result might differ from what you expect, but one has to show some determination before starting to a route.

Honestly, if you're not one of those Carib school marketing representatives, then SDN isn't a good place to bash the DO school system; noone can wipe your tears here on SDN. Nobody is pointing a gun to your face to continue to attend to a DO school, either. Please, either quit from the DO school or quit speculating so much about if the DO degree is giving a lesser education opportunity for a med student than that of the MD degree. I'm fully proud of what I've accomplished as a future PCOM student starting school in this August.

Good days,

You need to chill out, especially since everything you are saying has basically zero experience to back it up. It doesn't matter how much research, or maturity you have when selecting a school, it can still not be what you hoped for. Calling someone a "cold blooded cheater" because they found fault with their school is simply idiotic and ignorant. Who are you to tell someone that, especially when you are not the one who has even been through the experience? Just because you don't like to hear it doesn't make it wrong, or even malicious. This is how this individual feels, and they have jumped through the hoops and have earned the right to feel whatever they want. You, on the other hand, have yet to even begin to jump through the first ring of fire, but you speak as if you have accumulated a plethora of experience when you haven't even gotten your feet wet yet.

I don't know much about PCOM, but if this person has felt that it wasn't up to his expectations, he or she can, and should be able to without people like you attacking them for it. All you can do is make the best decision you can at the time and hope for the best. I'm glad you are happy with your acceptance and I hope you have a great experience, but you can't know if you will be happy with it in 4 years and it is foolish to assume things (and I think it's even more foolish to assume you will "rock the boards" when you haven't' even taken a single medical school exam, but that's a different discussion). Arrogance and confidence are not the same thing.
 
I'm happy that you're amazed. You should be amazed.

Actually, it's always frustrating to see some DO students, like you, bash their schools as well as other DO students and pre-meds by comparing them with imaginary MD schools, even without having a dime of experience at any of these MD schools to be able to compare.

1) If you didn't know your "truths" before starting the DO school but then started learning about them "hidden" facts, then it shows your lack of maturity in making an informed decision selecting a DO school to attend in the first place. You took a seat from someone who wanted to be a DO. You're a cold blooded cheater.

2) You shouldn't stay in this game as a DO student at a DO school if you've a such a strong feeling that you're gonna be a "desperate", "lesser" future physician than your future MD colleagues (heck, half of the MDs are foreign school graduates.)

3) If you feel you're cheated by DO schools being taught "something else" other than modern medicine, then gather with the other "desperate" DO students and sue the school or this system all. You're a mature physician candidate, you should have had some self respect, should be heard by the mass media and such. But, if you can't do that for you're a coward even to defend your educational rights, then either SHUT UP or QUIT the school. Start repaying whatever amount of student loans you've "wasted" up until this point, and move on. There're many Carib graduates who wasted millions of US dollars on student loans and couldn't get a residency, now repaying them; consider yourself one of those "day dreamers" who was awaken to the fact that you were cheated by your schools, and suck it up.

4) OR... become a real man, admit that life is full of hurdles to jump over, decide to "kill the boards" like I said, and soon become a successful physician. Nobody should be ashamed of that he/she is so determined to kill the boards, honor the classes and rotations. The result might differ from what you expect, but one has to show some determination before starting to a route.

Honestly, if you're not one of those Carib school marketing representatives, then SDN isn't a good place to bash the DO school system; noone can wipe your tears here on SDN. Nobody is pointing a gun to your face to continue to attend to a DO school, either. Please, either quit from the DO school or quit speculating so much about if the DO degree is giving a lesser education opportunity for a med student than that of the MD degree. I'm fully proud of what I've accomplished as a future PCOM student starting school in this August.

Good days,

You have way too many opinions for someone who isn't a medical student, hasn't taken a single class or done a single rotation in medical school yet. As a DO student currently board studying and doing course work its hilarious to hear a premed say how he is going to crush the boards and dominate med school. I like to compare medical school to getting in a fight. Everyone thinks there a tough guy till they get hit in the mouth.

Unsolicited advice of mine, get off your soap box, save your opinions on do medical education till you are actually in it and can speak intelligently. Here in the medical student forum you are just looking ridiculous. Are you right in some things? Sure, but so are the actual students with their actual experiences.



Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
 
I'm happy that you're amazed. You should be amazed.

Actually, it's always frustrating to see some DO students, like you, bash their schools as well as other DO students and pre-meds by comparing them with imaginary MD schools, even without having a dime of experience at any of these MD schools to be able to compare.

1) If you didn't know your "truths" before starting the DO school but then started learning about them "hidden" facts, then it shows your lack of maturity in making an informed decision selecting a DO school to attend in the first place. You took a seat from someone who wanted to be a DO. You're a cold blooded cheater.

2) You shouldn't stay in this game as a DO student at a DO school if you've a such a strong feeling that you're gonna be a "desperate", "lesser" future physician than your future MD colleagues (heck, half of the MDs are foreign school graduates.)

3) If you feel you're cheated by DO schools being taught "something else" other than modern medicine, then gather with the other "desperate" DO students and sue the school or this system all. You're a mature physician candidate, you should have had some self respect, should be heard by the mass media and such. But, if you can't do that for you're a coward even to defend your educational rights, then either SHUT UP or QUIT the school. Start repaying whatever amount of student loans you've "wasted" up until this point, and move on. There're many Carib graduates who wasted millions of US dollars on student loans and couldn't get a residency, now repaying them; consider yourself one of those "day dreamers" who was awaken to the fact that you were cheated by your schools, and suck it up.

4) OR... become a real man, admit that life is full of hurdles to jump over, decide to "kill the boards" like I said, and soon become a successful physician. Nobody should be ashamed of that he/she is so determined to kill the boards, honor the classes and rotations. The result might differ from what you expect, but one has to show some determination before starting to a route.

Honestly, if you're not one of those Carib school marketing representatives, then SDN isn't a good place to bash the DO school system; noone can wipe your tears here on SDN. Nobody is pointing a gun to your face to continue to attend to a DO school, either. Please, either quit from the DO school or quit speculating so much about if the DO degree is giving a lesser education opportunity for a med student than that of the MD degree. I'm fully proud of what I've accomplished as a future PCOM student starting school in this August.

Good days,

You have no idea what you don't know. A fact which I suspect is true in all aspects of your life. I hope you grasp this concept before you ever have patient contact.
 
Please, enlighten, you highness.



It's quite simple. You haven't started medical school, therefore it's impossible for you to know what it's like to be in medical school. Everything you currently "know" is purely based on what you have read and heard. This is perfectly normal and nobody can know what is waiting for them when they start. The problem you are having, however, is that you are convinced that you know what you can't know.

In a year or so you will hopefully understand how naive you are being currently, as you will have actual experience on the subject.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not a bad thing to say you'll kill the boards, but don't be surprised when everyone doubts you or thinks you are WAY over your head/have zero faith in you. This goes for anyone who walks into a med school class and says that. You can feel free to prove everyone wrong 😀
 
enough of this bitter back and forth.. both have made valid points.. move on. This was the one thread I enjoyed; talking about the validity of match results and school education, now its been high jacked. Lets do something more productive.

I'll unleash my cat on the next negative post 🙂

Kitty_Gunner_by_LoztSn1p3r.gif
(originally posted by Guero)
 
Last edited:
/un-match list post

Bumble, I pretty much believe they are only giving you this advice because they don't want you to set yourself up for failure. It's a sucky feeling going into something feeling super confident, only to realize the results are less than what you were really hoping for. It's one thing to be confident, but another thing to be confident, cautious, and realistic that it can be worse than what you (or I for that matter) really know it to be. It can lead to a lot of depression and anxiety, which has the possibility of taking you in a downward spiral to make things worse for you.

/re-match list post
 
To get back to the original reason for this thread, here is the match list for UNTHSC TCOM on google maps. We had one student match ortho at Mayo which is pretty awesome.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=211924557066599121213.0004d964fa4dd53bda68b&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=38.341656,-97.03125&spn=24.058206,62.402344&z=4&source=embed

I wish the program names were posted as well. Would you happen to know what EM programs in Chicago and Arizona those students matched to?
 
/un-match list post

Bumble, I pretty much believe they are only giving you this advice because they don't want you to set yourself up for failure. It's a sucky feeling going into something feeling super confident, only to realize the results are less than what you were really hoping for. It's one thing to be confident, but another thing to be confident, cautious, and realistic that it can be worse than what you (or I for that matter) really know it to be. It can lead to a lot of depression and anxiety, which has the possibility of taking you in a downward spiral to make things worse for you.

/re-match list post

Agreed. I had high, but realistic expectations going in. I knew I was a good rest taker as i had a 36 mcat, but also realized every one of my classmates was also smart. So, I told myself I would be happy just being in the top half of the class. Then as things progressed that goal changes to top quarter, then top 10, etc etc.

I always tried to overachieve but set realistic goals so that I didnt end up crushed.

It worked out well. Ended third in class (lost number one spot as boards closed in), got SSP, honored 26/28 classes and rocked 4 board exams. But the important thing is to adjust your expectations as you go and know what you can handle in comparison to others. Going in assuming youll be number one and honor everything is a recipe for disappointment. By all means try to do so, but dont expect to.