Matching Advanced without Prelim - am I dead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCoastEMApplicant17

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviewed to scramble into my home institution's anesthesiology program which has advanced positions available. The interview was favorable, and the residents have informed me I should be the first candidate to be considered ("there's no reason they wouldn't choose you").

During the interview with the anesthesiology faculty the need for a prelim position did not come up at all. The PGY4 I spoke with stated that it "shouldn't be a problem" if they didn't bring it up. I spoke to my Dean of students who was very concerned about this.

Is this looking like a bad situation? How often do prelim positions open up before July? I emailed a ton of programs today with residencyswap ads that are probably all not current. I really, really want this to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Is possible, but will take serious hustle. First don't hesitate to secure the advanced position in fear of prelim. Then be willing to go anywhere and take anything including surg prelim. Start with home institution and contact every place possible. Do consider in person approaching local community programs or other home institution departments. Having matched advanced makes you more desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have interviewed to scramble into my home institution's anesthesiology program which has advanced positions available. The interview was favorable, and the residents have informed me I should be the first candidate to be considered ("there's no reason they wouldn't choose you").

During the interview with the anesthesiology faculty the need for a prelim position did not come up at all. The PGY4 I spoke with stated that it "shouldn't be a problem" if they didn't bring it up. I spoke to my Dean of students who was very concerned about this.

Is this looking like a bad situation? How often do prelim positions open up before July? I emailed a ton of programs today with residencyswap ads that are probably all not current. I really, really want this to happen.
If you get an Advanced spot, the anesthesia program will most likely find a spot for you in house. Likely surgery prelim.

If you get an Advanced spot, the anesthesia program will most likely find a spot for you in house. Likely surgery prelim.

I really hope so. Again, the Dean of Students did not think that there was a way for this to happen with Surgery Prelim filled through SOAP at my institution. The Dean stated it takes 80k of federal funding to create a spot and he doesn't think the money is there to create new spots. But, the program didn't tell mention anything about prelim. I wonder if I should be upfront with the anesthesiology leadership about this issue. I just spent $200 on two applications through ERAS, which are apparently $100 per application at this time, and a third program stated they have received 700 applications for one spot and are done accepting applications.