This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future.miss.doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to match in Canada as a Canadian citizen who completed their MD in the US?

I know according to CARMS they can match in the first iteration, but that does not necessarily mean there would be enough seats for them and/or no bias in favor of the Canadian grads.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there would be an advantage or disadvantage compared to CMGs if you were able to do electives at Canadian schools and get Canadian LORs, and network etc. Getting those electives may be more difficult as a USMD however.

Um...there's a really huge disadvantage. You can't apply to the first round Carms spots that MD grads can-you're in the IMG pool, so about 1% of total spots

I think the only 'easier' thing is trying to get an AGME US residency, getting a statement of need approved (which limits you from specialities sometimes) and then you're good to go once you finish residency

Members don't see this ad :)
Um...there's a really huge disadvantage. You can't apply to the first round Carms spots that MD grads can-you're in the IMG pool, so about 1% of total spots

I think the only 'easier' thing is trying to get an AGME US residency, getting a statement of need approved (which limits you from specialities sometimes) and then you're good to go once you finish residency

As a DO that is true. However, it clearly states on CARMs website that US MDs would match in the first iteration alongside the Canadian grads. What I'm wondering about is whether this is true in practice. In other worda, are US MDs actually treated exactly the same as the Canadian grads with zero discrimination (for the lack of a better word)? I personally doubt that as it would make sense for a Canadian program to give preference to a Canadian grad applying for the spot even if the US MD is a stellar applicant, but that's just my expectation. I don't have anything to back it up.

As a DO that is true. However, it clearly states on CARMs website that US MDs would match in the first iteration alongside the Canadian grads. What I'm wondering about is whether this is true in practice. In other worda, are US MDs actually treated exactly the same as the Canadian grads with zero discrimination (for the lack of a better word)? I personally doubt that as it would make sense for a Canadian program to give preference to a Canadian grad applying for the spot even if the US MD is a stellar applicant, but that's just my expectation. I don't have anything to back it up.
no, that's entirely correct. Canada is so small (medical world) that for things like derm, or surgery, programs might only interview people who did electives with them, so that's more likely Canadian-schooled students. Of course people do just fine every year, and they're still first round spots, but if you want Canada for residency than it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to go to med school here too

Reactions: 1 user

This is completely wrong.

no, that's entirely correct. Canada is so small (medical world) that for things like derm, or surgery, programs might only interview people who did electives with them, so that's more likely Canadian-schooled students. Of course people do just fine every year, and they're still first round spots, but if you want Canada for residency than it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to go to med school here too

I agree that if you have the choice to go to Canada vs USMD with goals of CaRMS residency, you should choose Canada. However, from what I've seen in CaRMS interviews, if you work hard to network and do electives you will have an equal shot, but it will be harder to do those electives and networking. The advantage is the backup of the US match.

.... well for starters, you should pop over to the CaRMS website and see the 1st iteration match rights for US MDs...
They match with CMGs in the 1st iteration, in. every. single. province. I matched with CMGs when DOs were still in the 1st iteration CMG round, and as a result of that, a CMG didn't match into the program I matched at. Hence, the deans of Ontario med schools got all butt hurt, and banded together to ban DOs from the 1st iteration Ontario match. Citing some technicality from the MCC.

If the US MD did no electives in Canada, nor have Canadians LoRs - yes, it's hard.
If they researched into this even a little bit, and strategically completed a few Canadian electives, there's a good chance for their matching back.

.... well for starters, you should pop over to the CaRMS website and see the 1st iteration match rights for US MDs...
They match with CMGs in the 1st iteration, in. every. single. province. I matched with CMGs when DOs were still in the 1st iteration CMG round, and as a result of that, a CMG didn't match into the program I matched at. Hence, the deans of Ontario med schools got all butt hurt, and banded together to ban DOs from the 1st iteration Ontario match. Citing some technicality from the MCC.

If the US MD did no electives in Canada, nor have Canadians LoRs - yes, it's hard.
If they researched into this even a little bit, and strategically completed a few Canadian electives, there's a good chance for their matching back.
Yes...we established that I was thinking they were asking about DO, not MD!