Matching prelim without PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shunnar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who is thinkign a lot about applying to radiology, and thus I have to do a TY in most of programs. And I was told also that I apply for PGY2 in the same year as PGY1 also.

Now let's say I apply broadly and get a lot of interviews, and then on my ROL I put this order:

1- TY PGY1 at program X
2- rads PGY2-5 at program X (to continue after PGY1)
3- rads PGY1-5 (internship integrated with the program but the center is not that strong)
4- IM PGY1-3 (back-up plan)

Is it possible to get the TY only without the rads and then be left with nothing after the PGY1? Because I prefer to go to a poor rads program over getting a TY at a good center, and I also prefer IM over a TY alone.....so what should be my approach to get my best chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that can potentially happen.

First let's use proper teminology: Preliminary is a one year program meant to precede an Advanced position. Categorical denotes a self-contained program with no need for a preliminary year (a prelim year can be prelim surg, TY, prelim med, prelim peds, prelim family, etc).

You need to decide what is more important to you if you don't match rads...going with IM categorical or getting a TY spot and trying for RADS again.

Let's say you would rather take the IM categorical position before getting just the TY year. Here is how you might make your list:

Rads advanced program A
Rads advanced program B
Rads categorical A
Rads advanced program C
Rads categorical B
Medicine categorical A
Medicine categorical B
Medicine categorical C
TY prelim year A
TY prelim year B
TY prelim year C

For each of your Rads advanced programs, you will make a supplemental list of all your TY prelim years. If you match into Rads from your primary list, you will automatically be shifted to your TY supplemental list and the algorithm will attempt to match you there so that you are matched for a prelim TY year and a Rads position.

Obviously there will be no supplemental lists attached to your categorical rads or categorical medicine spots.

The way I made the list above, the algorithm will attempt to match you into all your rads spots first (going to the proper supplemental list if you match into an advanced Rads program opposed to categorical). If you fail to match Rads, you would match into medicine next. If you don't match into any of those programs, you next move on to TY years.

If you don't match Rads and would rather get a TY year and try for Rads again before matching into categorical Medicine, simply rank all your TY years above all your medicine categorical programs.

Thank you So much! That was really clear and helpful.
I didn't know that if you match at an advanced program, the system will shift towards your TYs on the list and try to match you into one

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you So much! That was really clear and helpful.
I didn't know that if you match at an advanced program, the system will shift towards your TYs on the list and try to match you into one

Dral explained things perfectly. The only thing I would add is you can create a separate supplemental list for each advanced program.

I ranked every prelim position I interviewed at for each advanced position (I didn't want to match advanced and be left without an intern year), but the order of them differed slightly based on the advanced program. (I applied to PM&R, and some of the advanced programs had associated prelim-year positions, and my preference was to spend all four years in the same place if possible).

If you don't care about doing your prelim year near your advanced program then you could just use the same supplemental list for every advanced program.

Ahaa that makes it much better....being an IMG makes it hard for me to understand some things in the american system lol
I do have some preferences regarding location of my TY, but I don't have a problem in doing it in Hawaii if that is the only choice