Math for Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychEpathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't taken a math class is 4.5 years and I will be taking physics next semester (first half). How did other nontrads refresh their math skills? What did you focus on? I feel like I would be placed in an algebra class if I had to assess my math skills :eek:. I have about a month to review though! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should focus on basic algebra and trig (cos, sin, tan). It's not too difficult and I'm sure you will do fine. It was ~9 years since my last math class and I got an A in 1st semester Physics. Good luck!

How much math did you take, all those years ago? Did you take calculus?

I have a math degree, so maybe my experience isn't relevant, but I took calculus and then took calculus-based physics, 15-20 years ago. I did nothing particularly math-related for the last 15 years. Now I'm prepping for the MCAT and having no trouble relearning physics.

Is the physics class you're taking the easy one or the hard one? If it's the easy one, I wouldn't be worried about the math. It's formulaic plug and chug, and working problems will remind you of the math you need. If you're taking calculus-based physics, then I'd suggest getting a *physics* tutor right away. A math tutor won't likely be able to focus you on what you need for physics.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. I took the non-calculus based Physics.

I took calc and then decided to take non-calc based physics. I think having calc helped understand a lot of graphical information, especially with limits, but I still would have done well without it.

i'm taking calc-based physics this semester (starting next week) because my school recommends that for pre-med. i've had calc I&II but it was 11 years ago. i've been using a book called "forgotten calculus" to refresh my memory before the class starts.

as others have said, if you're taking algebra-based physics, don't worry about it; you'll be fine. if you're taking calc-based, refresh your calc knowledge if you're good at math/self-teaching or get whatever phsyics tutoring help you need when the time comes.

personally, i'm just hoping that the calculus used is more of the basic calc and less of the advanced, but i guess i'll find out ;)

I took Calculus II in 1985.

I just took Physics w/ Calculus this Fall term, and the only
math required was taking derivatives and basic trig.
Really how much Calculus is used in the Halliday/Resnick textbook?

Remembering Calculus is a walk in the park compared to taking Organic Chemistry.

How much math did you take, all those years ago? Did you take calculus?

I have a math degree, so maybe my experience isn't relevant, but I took calculus and then took calculus-based physics, 15-20 years ago. I did nothing particularly math-related for the last 15 years. Now I'm prepping for the MCAT and having no trouble relearning physics.

Is the physics class you're taking the easy one or the hard one? If it's the easy one, I wouldn't be worried about the math. It's formulaic plug and chug, and working problems will remind you of the math you need. If you're taking calculus-based physics, then I'd suggest getting a *physics* tutor right away. A math tutor won't likely be able to focus you on what you need for physics.

Best of luck to you.

I took first semester of calculus- I managed a "B." I will be taking the algebra/trig based physics class. I guess, then, I should review basic trig and maybe some algebra?

I took first semester of calculus- I managed a "B." I will be taking the algebra/trig based physics class. I guess, then, I should review basic trig and maybe some algebra?
If you can review algebra and trig on your own, great. Before I started medical school pre-reqs, I went back to school to do some graduate work in computer science. I was a CPA, I'd CLEP'd out of algebra and trig, and I'd already had calculus. None of which I could remember to save my life - it had been 20 years. I needed sharp skills for computer science - so I went back and took algebra and trig - which I had tested out of in college. It gave me a good foundation to go on to study engineering calculus (I'd only had b-calc).

My point is, you can probably review algebra on your own. But getting your speed and skill back up may take some practice. What's shameful about being placed back in algebra with the skills you have now? In this non-trad game, sometimes you have to swallow your pride! :laugh:

personally, i'm just hoping that the calculus used is more of the basic calc and less of the advanced, but i guess i'll find out ;)

It's basic calc. You need to remember how to take derivatives and simple integrals. No need to know/remember how to integrate sec(x) or any of the other bizarre integral rules that you learn in calc.

I recommend calc-based Physics unless you really suck at calc. IMHO, the material is presented in a way that gives you a deeper understanding of the material, rather than the memorize the formulas and plug and chug of non-calc based Physics. This wasn't a choice at any school that I attended, however, since both engineering (my first career) and pre-med (my second career) Physics were calc-based.