Math on the DAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illstartmydiet2maro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there seriously no material on the market that prepares you for math? i am having the biggest struggle trying to TEACH myself math. Yes i understand MATH destroyer and BOOTcamp are good reps of the test, but before attempting those problems i need to learn how to solve problems and learn the concepts first. and im finding it impossible to learn this stuff in an organized efficient manner. Some of u recommended Khan academy DAT QR playlist on youtube. That is a bunch of random math videos in some odd order. it goes from reducing fractions to a geometry problem then after 20 videos another geometry problem. i mean its confusing. and its not even directed for the DAT.

If anyone who is very weak in math, was able to teach themselves QR for the DAT, and has a helpful source i can use please respond to this, because i really really really want to learn QR and solidify the basics and not be so afraid of it, but i need the proper materials before attacking math destroyer. PLEEASEee

Members don't see this ad.

You can get these two books:
501 math world problems
501 quantitive comparison questions

search them on Amazon, I am afraid to share any link so that someone would say I am advertising or something.
I honestly got one of them from my public library for free.
also at my public library all the gre math books.

Go to your public library and pick algebra books. Those will definitely teach you some of the basics.

You can get these two books:
501 math world problems
501 quantitive comparison questions

search them on Amazon, I am afraid to share any link so that someone would say I am advertising or something.
I honestly got one of them from my public library for free.
also at my public library all the gre math books.

Go to your public library and pick algebra books. Those will definitely teach you some of the basics.
do you think studying from an SAT math book would be efficient before? are they similar math topics?

if you wanted to study SAT Math, you'd have to review SAT II math as well to make sure you cover all the advanced topics too. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Math skills don't just randomly arise from nowhere. It certainly is not possible in a short period of time. It's similar to RC.

With that said, if you have a lot of time, get a middle and high school textbooks and do the problems without a calculator. Then move onto some SAT or ACT problems as they offer similar questions, but also without the calculator. The point is, while reviewing the concepts and materials, you need to improve on solving problems quickly and accurately. Problem solving techniques are all fine and all, but without the basic calculations skills and knowledge, they are all brute force memorizations. Bootcamp and destroyers are good practice books, but only with your basics solidified. If you can do 30+ on the destroyer on each test, you are OK. Destroyer is way more difficult than the actual DAT.

As you do the problems, if you think you lack in certain concepts, go back and read. Now be careful not to study the topics not covered in DAT.

Keep in mind that improving math skills requires a lot of practicing problems. Get off of the videos and do more problems!

I got 28 on QR and work as a math teacher. I make my students do over a hundred of problems a week and the improvements are unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Math is something you can do with practice over and over again; technically, as far as this test is concerned, theres not much theory as there is the application of it / calculation problems. So generally just understanding the context of the question and learning how to solve them, if you are pressed for time. I think the most you'll have to deal with the concepts is with the quantitative comparison portions, which according to BC was new this year(?). These questions are like the GRE ones, which you can find at the end of the DAT QR playlist. For these, you just have to understand number/graphing theory I believe.
I found Kaplan's and BC's QR prep was fine for it; Kaplan is good for the general questions and problem solving, but BC has the comparison questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Watch khans academy. If youre using bootcamp and following Ari's schedule, you should watch khans academy first before you start anything. Khans academy teaches you the very basic problems in math. Some videos were like 4th grade math lol. I went through it very fast and I think this is what you're looking for. After that, you can move on to math destroyer (it's gonna be hard). after you finish math destroyer and understand how to do all of them, you should have no problem getting 20+ in math

Watch khans academy. If youre using bootcamp and following Ari's schedule, you should watch khans academy first before you start anything. Khans academy teaches you the very basic problems in math. Some videos were like 4th grade math lol. I went through it very fast and I think this is what you're looking for. After that, you can move on to math destroyer (it's gonna be hard). after you finish math destroyer and understand how to do all of them, you should have no problem getting 20+ in math
Btw I scored 15 on the first time because I didn't practice a lot and didn't use the right material. I ran out of time too. Second time I scored 21 and I followed aris schedule and did problems everyday.

I recommend using Math Destroyer (2017 version or older versions with Dr. Romano's QC questions posted above). Once you get a hold of the general pattern of questions, I would move on to Bootcamp QR. Do every test. Do not skip out on reviewing your answers. Repetition and getting beaten down by this section is key for crushing this section. This method got me a 28 on the real test.

Reactions: 1 users