Math...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palindr0me

hi.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the next few days, I'll be taking an online mathematics placement exam administered by my undergrad. I was sent an e-mail that has about 8 sample questions, and was told that I should be comfortable with the math that was present in order to do well on the exam; however, I'm not. :rolleyes:

So, my question is, would it be fine to start off in college algebra or another math course around that level (seeing that it's not remedial, which it won't be) and work my way up to calculus 1 and statistics? I'm already extremely proficient in statistics from my high school courses, so my only real worry is working up to calc 1 and then acing intro stats. Should I, in my circumstances, be content with the fact that I can work my way up to calc, while getting A's in the easier math courses to boost my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

So listen to a story about a man named John. A poor Navy guy could barely get his algebra on. Then one day at a CC you see, they gave him an aptitude test and said no sir-ee. Bad math they said. Time to remediate.

Long story short, I had to take not-for-credit math, then college algebra, then college trig. Luckilly (or perhaps not) I was able to skip pre-calc by virtue of getting A's in all of these classes. I then promptly got C's in Calc I and Calc II. Hardest classes I have ever taken. I literally studied 40 hours a week and still got C's.

Now, I was stupid. I took engineering calculus. Turns out they had calculus for non majors. If I had taken that I'm fairly certain I could have gotten better grades. I just didn't know it was available until too late.

The good news: Here I sit in medical school. Turns out calculus didn't matter all that much after all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.

So listen to a story about a man named John. A poor Navy guy could barely get his algebra on. Then one day at a CC you see, they gave him an aptitude test and said no sir-ee. Bad math they said. Time to remediate.

Long story short, I had to take not-for-credit math, then college algebra, then college trig. Luckilly (or perhaps not) I was able to skip pre-calc by virtue of getting A's in all of these classes. I then promptly got C's in Calc I and Calc II. Hardest classes I have ever taken. I literally studied 40 hours a week and still got C's.

Now, I was stupid. I took engineering calculus. Turns out they had calculus for non majors. If I had taken that I'm fairly certain I could have gotten better grades. I just didn't know it was available until too late.

The good news: Here I sit in medical school. Turns out calculus didn't matter all that much after all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.
you just made my day. Inspirational indeed

Members don't see this ad :)
Maths are the worst. I took calc 2 freshman year (going to be a senior) and now my major is telling me that in the catalogue where it says "calc 3 strongly recommended" was more of a requirement than a recommendation.... I ain't taking calc 3! I haven't had math in two years and they expect me to pass calc 3?!?

Maths are the worst. I took calc 2 freshman year (going to be a senior) and now my major is telling me that in the catalogue where it says "calc 3 strongly recommended" was more of a requirement than a recommendation.... I ain't taking calc 3! I haven't had math in two years and they expect me to pass calc 3?!?

Through my postbac I'm continously impressed by pre-meds who know what they're doing, and then I'm shocked to learn that they've close to no math skills, something that's taken for granted in engineering. Maybe it's just that, that calculus is the ABC's of what I do and I can't even remember when I first learned it, but it just seems so incongruous that someone who's great at gen chem or organic or genetics, visibly winces when you mention a derivative and completely blanks when you talk about integrals. I guess they really are two disparate skills that use different parts of the brain, and if it's not required at all for med school there's no problem there.

But then, why the requirement? Is the calculus requirement similar to the organic requirement, where you seldom use the material but it's there to "prove" an ability to reason out complex problems? Or is it a "meaningless hoop" thrown in by stodgy faculty who think (I'd say the jury's still out on this one) that math is at the root of all sciences and is critical to all research?

Through my postbac I'm continously impressed by pre-meds who know what they're doing, and then I'm shocked to learn that they've close to no math skills, something that's taken for granted in engineering. Maybe it's just that, that calculus is the ABC's of what I do and I can't even remember when I first learned it, but it just seems so incongruous that someone who's great at gen chem or organic or genetics, visibly winces when you mention a derivative and completely blanks when you talk about integrals. I guess they really are two disparate skills that use different parts of the brain, and if it's not required at all for med school there's no problem there.

But then, why the requirement? Is the calculus requirement similar to the organic requirement, where you seldom use the material but it's there to "prove" an ability to reason out complex problems? Or is it a "meaningless hoop" thrown in by stodgy faculty who think (I'd say the jury's still out on this one) that math is at the root of all sciences and is critical to all research?

I actually think a lot of premeds psyche themselves out of math. Calculus is very basic (at least until you get to multivariable), but it reminds me a bit of physics. You just have to practice a lot of problems so that you become comfortable and familiar with the way problems are presented, the kinds of situations that demand certain calculations, etc etc. I think many of us are taught to fear math--and especially calculus--from an early age so when we get there, we make it harder than it needs to be.

See, it depends on the mindset too. Some people (Me) have trouble with numbers for numbers sake. I took calc based physics and p-chem and did well. Even in Calc, I always rocked the practical "word problems". It's the "numbers on paper" that always got me. In fact on my calc II final the only question I got RIGHT was the one story problem. If I had gotten anything else right I would have gotten a B in the class.

Most people are conditioned to think they are bad at math.

In the next few days, I'll be taking an online mathematics placement exam administered by my undergrad. I was sent an e-mail that has about 8 sample questions, and was told that I should be comfortable with the math that was present in order to do well on the exam; however, I'm not. :rolleyes:

So, my question is, would it be fine to start off in college algebra or another math course around that level (seeing that it's not remedial, which it won't be) and work my way up to calculus 1 and statistics? I'm already extremely proficient in statistics from my high school courses, so my only real worry is working up to calc 1 and then acing intro stats. Should I, in my circumstances, be content with the fact that I can work my way up to calc, while getting A's in the easier math courses to boost my GPA?
Go with what your placement test places you in; those tests are usually pretty well designed and there's nothing wrong with working your way up.

That said, two points:
1) As a former calc tutor: Don't be scared of calc. It's sometimes badly taught because math profs don't explain it well, not because it's actually hard. In fact, the reason they don't explain it well is because it's really quite simple once you get the hang of it (it's not actually high level math, I swear!) and they can't seem to remember that it takes a bit of getting used to. :)
2) You might be proficient at using statistical methods, but you can't really understand statistical analysis without knowing and being comfortable with calculus,

Yes you can work your way up, make sure to be serious about these classes though, they will help later on.

I started with College Algebra. It actually turned out to be one of the biggest pains and time-sinks of any undergrad class I took. I did well in it, and nobody ever mentioned my lack of many higher maths. I had AP Stats credit, and I took what was basically a "survey of" type of calculus course. That was it for my math credits.

wolframalpha.com

it will save you on your test... trust me. especially if your test is online. just tab over have wolframalpha, plug and chug :)

Yeah. I tanked calc I but killed Calc II because I worked like a madwoman and clung to the professor

If I'm not mistaken, only a few select medical schools actually require that you take calculus or statistics. If you're not really good at it, and any of the schools you eventually would like to apply at don't require it, you should just not take it and put your GPA at risk.

Allopathic medical schools that require course(s) in math