Can a math professor fill a science rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikecookie

Reaction score
Title. And if so, have any admissions officers seen a difference in quality between math and B/C/P professors? I’m afraid of asking one because I’m assuming they haven’t written many med school recs. Something that particularly scares me is a story about an applicant who got no acceptances, assumably because of an “old-fashioned” recommendation where the professor talked about both the good and bad qualities of the applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the "quality" will be worse, and I believe that a math letter does count for the science letter since it is BCPM.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Title. And if so, have any admissions officers seen a difference in quality between math and B/C/P professors?
No. I even asked a math professor back in the pre-iPod days because that professor and I talked a lot with each other when I was taking the class. Quality relationships will yield quality letters.

I’m afraid of asking one because I’m assuming they haven’t written many med school recs. Something that particularly scares me is a story about an applicant who got no acceptances, assumably because of an “old-fashioned” recommendation where the professor talked about both the good and bad qualities of the applicant.
This can happen with any reference, not just math professors.

Reactions: 1 user