Can a math professor fill a science rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ilikecookie

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Title. And if so, have any admissions officers seen a difference in quality between math and B/C/P professors? I’m afraid of asking one because I’m assuming they haven’t written many med school recs. Something that particularly scares me is a story about an applicant who got no acceptances, assumably because of an “old-fashioned” recommendation where the professor talked about both the good and bad qualities of the applicant.
 
Title. And if so, have any admissions officers seen a difference in quality between math and B/C/P professors?
No. I even asked a math professor back in the pre-iPod days because that professor and I talked a lot with each other when I was taking the class. Quality relationships will yield quality letters.

I’m afraid of asking one because I’m assuming they haven’t written many med school recs. Something that particularly scares me is a story about an applicant who got no acceptances, assumably because of an “old-fashioned” recommendation where the professor talked about both the good and bad qualities of the applicant.
This can happen with any reference, not just math professors.