May 15 is (almost) here - How do you feel about your decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So May 15 will be here in a few days. I want to hear how everyone feels about their decision in the school they chose. Are there many out there who's left holding one acceptance but still sitting on a waitlist at a higher choice? Do you feel like you couldn't really decide between two schools and wonder whether you made the right choice? Was the decision pretty easy to make for you?

As for me, I'm stoked to be going to UCSD. It was pretty much near the top of my list of med schools so the decision came easy for me. La Jolla, here I stay!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel great. I haven't smiled like this in months. And I feel excited about the waitlist movement.

Eraserhead said:
I feel great. I haven't smiled like this in months. And I feel excited about the waitlist movement.
Janet Reno's still way better than a supermodel.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was between UNC and Columbia for me, and really depended on the finances. But then Columbia came through with a huge amount of aid, and now I'm headed back to the north, closer to my family, closer to my boyfriend, and to a big big city! I'm ecstatic.

exmike said:
i feel like crap.
Did you mail the letter? I put mine in a big blue box so I couldn't get it back out... Maybe you should do that too!

Eraserhead said:
Porque hombre?

Still not sure I made the right choice. Kinda felt like I took the easy way out. :(

Truth is, I'll probably keep second guessing myself until match day.. thats just how I am. stupid stupid stupid.

Spitting Camel said:
Did you mail the letter? I put mine in a big blue box so I couldn't get it back otu... Maybe you should do that too!

mailed it yesterday. i live in a apt complex so i couldnt retrieve it from the slot after mailing it.

exmike said:
Still not sure I made the right choice. Kinda felt like I took the easy way out. :(

Truth is, I'll probably keep second guessing myself until match day.. thats just how I am. stupid stupid stupid.[/QUOTE

Following your gut feeling is almost always the right way to go. Just be assured that you made the best decision at the time and now it's done..over with. You KNOW where you'll be...Case is a GREAT school...you KNOW you'll be a physician in 4 years...so be excited!!!! I'm really happy for you Mike..and you should be happy and proud of you as well!

Good Luck! :)

CalBeE said:
Janet Reno's still way better than a supermodel.

Good lord man! I don't know what's more disturbing: the image of Janet Reno in my head or your Janet Reno fetish. :eek:

I actually regretted making my decision so early...I should have waited out a bit. Now I feel that I should have given Vandy more thoughts...

exmike said:
mailed it yesterday. i live in a apt complex so i couldnt retrieve it from the slot after mailing it.
I withdrew from a waitlist via email. Once I sent it out...I was like crap, did I make the right decision? Part of it was that I was tired of pursuing that waitlist. I sent in like 3 letters before the decision was made, and I just felt that additional letter won't help anyway...

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander99 said:
Good lord man! I don't know what's more disturbing: the image of Janet Reno in my head or your Janet Reno fetish. :eek:
It's the inside of a person that matters :smiley face with a halo on the top:

I don't feel good at all man. I really don't want to be going to the east coast. All that ice and snow scared me. I want to stay in Califoniyay. I should have applied to more California schools, and applied early too. But hey, what can ya say. :( I'm on four waitlists, and hopefully I'll get accepted from one in particular...

I feel somewhat unsettled still. I'm pretty sure that I picked the right school for May 15, but I'm on four waitlists and still don't have solid preference rankings.

guys, no matter where you decide to go at the end, just remember "don't look back." No regret. :thumbup:

Well, at least don't look back in anger. Really, I think a year from now, it will be hard to imagine having made any other choice (whatever that choice may be).

congratulations to all who got acceptances to choose from and good luck to those still waiting!! :clap: keep hope alive :D ;)

exmike said:
i feel like crap.

Me too, I feel like s*#t. I still can't believe I turned down Cali for all that cold up east. But men, that's what life is all about..decisions..which we all have to live with. :confused:

supereagles said:
Me too, I feel like s*#t. I still can't believe I turned down Cali for all that cold up east. But men, that's what life is all about..decisions..which we all have to live with. :confused:
It still boggles my mind when I see people giving up an MD school in CA for something in the east. I don't care if it's Cornell or Harvard, I would take a Cali school over them anyday. You can't beat the weather and the ethnic diveristy here. I love it. :smuggrin:

Despite people's opinions, I still believe going to a Cali school helps you out a lot in getting a residency here. Sure you can go out of state but then you'll have to work super hard just to make sure you can get back in, especially if you're talking about a competitive field.

You know all those Cali students will be going for those same specialty positions and would have rotated in the CA hospitals. It's called home field advantage.

Adapt said:
It still boggles my mind when I see people giving up an MD school in CA for something in the east. I don't care if it's Cornell or Harvard, I would take a Cali school over them anyday. You can't beat the weather and the ethnic diveristy here. I love it. :smuggrin:

Despite people's opinions, I still believe going to a Cali school helps you out a lot in getting a residency here. Sure you can go out of state but then you'll have to work super hard just to make sure you can get back in, especially if you're talking about a competitive field.

You know all those Cali students will be going for those same specialty positions and would have rotated in the CA hospitals. It's called home field advantage.

i'm glad you love your homestate so much, but your love of cali is a little over the top. also, you are aware that ny is the melting pot of the world right? i mean, saying you wouldn't go "east" b/c there's too much diversity in ca is a little silly when you have NY, boston, philly and dc on the east coast.

Mr. Rosewater said:
i'm glad you love your homestate so much, but your love of cali is a little over the top. also, you are aware that ny is the melting pot of the world right? i mean, saying you wouldn't go "east" b/c there's too much diversity in ca is a little silly when you have NY, boston, philly and dc on the east coast.
When I visited Philly and DC, they weren't as diverse as CA. I am sure Boston is even less diverse than the above cities. Perhaps New York comes close to the diversity of CA.

I have chosen Drexel so far. I declined my acceptance to NYMC and I am going to withdraw from the waitlists at Penn State and Tufts. I am actually happy with my decision because a year ago I figured I would definitely be reapplying again. I know Drexel is much maligned on this website (unnecessarily so, IMHO), but I was intrigued by their curriculum and after doing undergrad in philly, the city has grown on me. I will remain on the waitlist at Jefferson and will choose that should I be accepted, but I will by no means be disappointed if I end up at Drexel. Life is too short to live with regrets. I am looking forward to med school (although I can't imagine I will be saying that in 4 months).

Adapt said:
When I visited Philly and DC, they weren't as diverse as CA. I am sure Boston is even less diverse than the above cities. Perhaps New York comes close to the diversity of CA.

ha, ny "comes close" to the diversity of CA??? you're joking right?

Mr. Rosewater said:
ha, ny "comes close" to the diversity of CA??? you're joking right?
No I wasn't. It's all semantics. Look, CA is a great place for many reasons and I just included the ethnic diversity as one reason why. I'm not saying that is the main reason for me because there are so many other reasons why I like it other than that. I just couldn't think of any at the time I wrote that statement.

All I can say is, if you've been accepted to a Cali school, FOR HEAVEN SAKES DON'T GIVE IT UP. :cool:

I think NYC is a more diverse place than CA...

ANyways, I stand behind Supereagles' decision. If I were him, I'd probably have made the same decision, just based on what he told me about himself.

CalBeE said:
I think NYC is a more diverse place than CA
Fine I decided to look it up. I am comparing the ethinicity breakdown of New York vs California because it is only fair to compare state to state. The following link has ethnicity breakdown in all 50 states.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-P6&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-_lang=en&-format=US-9&-_sse=on

----California----
Total:33,871,648
White:59.5
Black: 6.7
Hispanic: 32.4
Native American: 1.0
Asian:10.9
Pacific Islander:0.3
Other race: 16.8

----New York---
Total:18,976,457
White:67.9
Black:15.9
Hispanic: 15.1
Native American:0.4
Asian: 5.5
Pacific Islander:0.0
Other race: 7.1

There are more whites and blacks percentage wise in New York. California has twice as many hispanics, asians, native amercians and other race people. That's percentage wise so that makes up for population size.

So yes when I say New York comes close, it can be argued that it's not even that close because these numbers show how much more ethnically diverse California is than New York.

I am so happy to be staying at UNC for medical school. I just sent off all my rejection letters to the other schools, and I am leaving to spend the summer in Belize and not thinking about medical school until I get back in the end of July :laugh:

Still trying to decide between pitt and unc :confused:

ventulus18 said:
today i made the decision to not check my email every 3 minutes for waitlist news and i feel GREAT :laugh:

Yay!! good for you!! :laugh:

i am still going back and forth with my spouse.
Az or Pritzker?

Adapt said:
Fine I decided to look it up. I am comparing the ethinicity breakdown of New York vs California because it is only fair to compare state to state. The following link has ethnicity breakdown in all 50 states.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-P6&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-_lang=en&-format=US-9&-_sse=on

----California----
Total:33,871,648
White:59.5
Black: 6.7
Hispanic: 32.4
Native American: 1.0
Asian:10.9
Pacific Islander:0.3
Other race: 16.8

----New York---
Total:18,976,457
White:67.9
Black:15.9
Hispanic: 15.1
Native American:0.4
Asian: 5.5
Pacific Islander:0.0
Other race: 7.1

There are more whites and blacks percentage wise in New York. California has twice as many hispanics, asians, native amercians and other race people. That's percentage wise so that makes up for population size.

So yes when I say New York comes close, it can be argued that it's not even that close because these numbers show how much more ethnically diverse California is than New York.

no, it's not fair to compare state to state. i was referring to NY city (that's where i got the melting pot reference). NY state is nothing like ny city, it's two different worlds. CA has numerous medium sized cities, NY has one, and it's the greatest and most diverse in america.

Mr. Rosewater said:
no, it's not fair to compare state to state. i was referring to NY city (that's where i got the melting pot reference). NY state is nothing like ny city, it's two different worlds. CA has numerous medium sized cities, NY has one, and it's the greatest and most diverse in america.
Well it's unfair to compare CA to New York city. That's a city vs a state. I can find stats on Los Angeles and New York City and then we'll see.

Adapt, you won :D

However, NYC does feel more diverse though. The thing with LA is that it's basically a collection of scattered areas, and even in these more populated area, the population density's not as high. At NYC though, things are very packed, and even though there's some degree of ethnic segregation, they're so closed to each other that it feels more diverse than LA.

CalBeE said:
Adapt, you won :D

However, NYC does feel more diverse though. The thing with LA is that it's basically a collection of scattered areas, and even in these more populated area, the population density's not as high. At NYC though, things are very packed, and even though there's some degree of ethnic segregation, they're so closed to each other that it feels more diverse than LA.
Yayyy. :clap:

:laugh: JK. I've only been to NYC once and it is packed. You're right maybe that's the reason why it appears more diverse.

NYC is cool because at night, steam comes out of the sewer like on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Spitting Camel said:
NYC is cool because at night, steam comes out of the sewer like on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

You are cool just because you mentioned TMNT. (Not being sarcastic.) I always thought that April O'Neil was a hottie. Haha. (Better than Janet Reno I guess.)

Alexander99 said:
You are cool just because you mentioned TMNT. (Not being sarcastic.) I always thought that April O'Neil was a hottie. Haha. (Better than Janet Reno I guess.)
Don't you dare insult MY Janet Reno ;)

The steam coming out of sewer thing...reminds me of my hometown...another dirty, overcrowded place, but I miss it now!

Hello, long-time reader, first-time poster . . .

I just sent away some withdrawals to schools today (I hope it was the right decision), and now I need some advice between Tufts and Tulane. Help pick my school . . .

Really, Tulane is my first choice because damn, it just felt right. It's close to home, it's in New Orleans, the students and professors I met were the bomb. But, in all truthfulness, I don't want to turn down a good education in Boston from a well respected institution. I know Tufts is well respected. Is Tulane just as much? I was positive yesterday, but people are putting doubts in my head, saying Tufts is MUCH better than Tulane. Honestly, is there appreciable difference in either schools' reputation? I want Tulane so much it hurts. But, I don't want to choose it over Tufts and later regret it because of something I didn't know now. Knowing what you know of these schools, what would you pick? Can anyone give me a little more insight? I'm a little lost . . .

i'd pick tulane...i think you'd be happiest there overall...this IS four years of your life we're talking about....and, in the end, you can do just as badly at a higher ranked school as you can at a lower ranked one....and just as well or better at a lower ranked school than a higher or more prestigious one....medical school success depends on what you do IN school, not so much which school you go to if you don't want to go into academic medicine...so, for you, the answer is obvious: tulane :thumbup:

both cities rock...you cant go wrong either way.

SqurrlQuen said:
I just sent away some withdrawals to schools today

Chop chop... all the rest was a blur... :laugh:

Where did you withdraw from?

Adapt said:
http://www.atkinsresearchinc.com/demographics.htm
---LA----
Race

White 38.2%

Hispanic 39.0%

Black 13.4%

Native American 0.3%

Asian 8.8%

Other 0.3%

---New York city---

White 52.3
Black 28.7
Hispanic 23.7
Asian/Pacific Island 6.9
American Indian 0.3
Other 11.6
http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/demographics#nyc

There you happy? There are more whites in New york, about 50% compared to 38 in LA. There are more hispanics in LA and more asians in LA. Seems like LA is more diverse to me.

interesting stats. one could make an arguement either way, as we have more blacks and much more "other." still you make a good arguement. good job.

Just Medical College of GA, and I withdrew from the waiting lists of Georgetown and Wake Forest.

As to the answer about Tulane being the obvious choice, it's not quite so easy. I am interested in academics, and I'm going to both programs for the MD/MPH program. As of now, I'm not planning to commit my entire life to clinical work, and so, reputation of my medical school matters a little more. I suppose my question is of what you know, how much more reputable is one from the other? I can't feel it for myself because Tulane is unranked and, while I admire the dean's decision in this, it makes it harder to gauge how other professionals regard the school in relation to Tufts. Thanks so much for responding!

CalBeE said:
Don't you dare insult MY Janet Reno ;)

The steam coming out of sewer thing...reminds me of my hometown...another dirty, overcrowded place, but I miss it now!

I've never experienced the steam coming out of the sewers phenomenon. I only saw it when I went to Vegas and was at the Paris Hotel (the effect was fake.)

After this post, let's never mention Janet Reno again. I'm really starting to get disturbed/disgusted now. :eek:

Adapt said:
http://www.atkinsresearchinc.com/demographics.htm
---LA----
Race

White 38.2%

Hispanic 39.0%

Black 13.4%

Native American 0.3%

Asian 8.8%

Other 0.3%

---New York city---

White 52.3
Black 28.7
Hispanic 23.7
Asian/Pacific Island 6.9
American Indian 0.3
Other 11.6
http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/demographics#nyc

There you happy? There are more whites in New york, about 50% compared to 38 in LA. There are more hispanics in LA and more asians in LA. Seems like LA is more diverse to me.

Kind of hard to compare these numbers since your percentages for New York add up to over 120%. I haven't seen the actual numbers, but I suspect somebody got counted twice, and if you exclude hispanics, the percentage of whites in NYC is well below 50%.

BeatArmy said:
Kind of hard to compare these numbers since your percentages for New York add up to over 120%. I haven't seen the actual numbers, but I suspect somebody got counted twice, and if you exclude hispanics, the percentage of whites in NYC is well below 50%.

Uh oh. Someone cheated.