“WashU almost a guaranteed interview with your stats”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boltman10

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed in WAMC threads Faha will typically tell high stat applicants that WashU is “almost a guaranteed interview”. I was wondering: A: What data is this based on, and what makes WashU unique in this regard and B: If I don’t have an II from WashU despite good stats is this a warning sign that there might be a red flag in my app?

Members don't see this ad.

WashU has, over the last 10 years or more, been obsessed with high stat applicants (particularly with regard to MCAT). If they don't interview every 4.0/526 that comes their way, it may be that they assigned the file to someone who is pokey in doing reviews (in which case you'll get an interview invitation a month from now) or there were things you've done or not done (teamwork and leadership come to mind) that decreased your attractiveness as a candidate.

Reactions: 6 users
I’ve noticed in WAMC threads Faha will typically tell high stat applicants that WashU is “almost a guaranteed interview”. I was wondering: A: What data is this based on, and what makes WashU unique in this regard and B: If I don’t have an II from WashU despite good stats is this a warning sign that there might be a red flag in my app?
There are several schools that are stat whor...um, sex workers.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I estimate that Washington U offers interviews to almost 1/3 of all applicants who complete secondaries. Once you remove all the "lower" stat applicants (less than 3.7 GPA or MCAT less than 518) that percentage is much higher.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
There are several schools that are stat whor...um, sex workers.
Would you mind sharing some other schools that come up to your mind? Just out of curiosity--I would guess jhu being one of them but that is guaranteed due to their prestige.

It's hard to say... like many have said above many schools prefer higher stats applicants (this will hold true a few years down the line when you apply for residency). That being said, so much goes into deciding whether to interview an applicant and these criteria change from school to school and reviewer to reviewer. All you can do now is give your current interviews your best shot and if you unfortunately don't get into any schools this cycle, you can reach out to schools for feedback. Usually this is when you will find out where/how your application lacked in their eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
Stanford
U Chicago
NYU
Northwestern
U Penn

Stanford has turned "holy" now - their MCAT medium for the last cycle dropped out of top 15...
Top MCAT schools are JHU, NYU, Penn, Vandy, Columbia, Yale, WashU, NW, Chicago....
I suspect Chicago is turning "holy" too. Just browsed the Pritzker thread and saw a bunch of IIs with LM <~70 and Rs with LM > 80

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Stanford has turned "holy" now - their MCAT medium for the last cycle dropped out of top 15...
Top MCAT schools are JHU, NYU, Penn, Vandy, Columbia, Yale, WashU, NW, Chicago....
I suspect Chicago is turning "holy" too. Just browsed the Pritzker thread and saw a bunch of IIs with LM <~70 and Rs with LM > 80
Oh please. Stanford has a median MCAT of 518. Harvard has a 520, as a comparison. They're the same number.

And there are at least 20 schools in the "Top 15".

Those rankings exist only for status-obsessed pre-meds and MD school Deans

I estimate that Washington U offers interviews to almost 1/3 of all applicants who complete secondaries. Once you remove all the "lower" stat applicants (less than 3.7 GPA or MCAT less than 518) that percentage is much higher.
1/5 according to MSAR, but they def have an obsession with high stat applicants

• Love
1/5 according to MSAR, but they def have an obsession with high stat applicants
MSAR includes ALL applications. The number of complete applications (submit secondaries) is less. Also some receive interview invites but decline or cancel for various reasons. There are some private schools where only 2/3 of applicants complete secondaries.

• Wow
MSAR includes ALL applications. The number of complete applications (submit secondaries) is less. Also some receive interview invites but decline or cancel for various reasons. There are some private schools where only 2/3 of applicants complete secondaries.
Ahhh gotcha, makes sense!