May 22nd, 2009 Mcat takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc4432

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is for all of you that plan on taking the mcat may 22nd. wondering when/how everyone is gonna be studying. I have a bunch of old kaplan books and plan on taking a kaplan class. I haven't started any intense studying yet, maybe after finals. lemme know

Members don't see this ad.

Your reasoning actually sounds really good. But at the end of the first paragraph it says: "When ulcer patients are treated with a combination of antibiotics and drugs that reduce acid production, there seems to be no recurrence of ulcers." which is why I chose D.

Ouch. Totally missed that tidbit. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

I kind of did worse on AAMC 9 than 10?
AAMC9 I got a 30, AAMC10 I got a 34.. again, it's all about focus.

I also don't go back and look over my answers when I finish with 20 minutes left because I just can't be bothered... but I'll do this on test day.

It is amazing how much I improve my scores in both sciences in the last 20 minutes, after I have 'finished' all the questions. At least 3 or 4 that I either bubbled carelessly, math error, or read the problem slightly wrong. IMO, this makes a huge difference and will probably be the diff between average and above average scores.

However, when I first started taking the AAMCs, I was actually changing more right answers to wrong answers during the last twenty minutes because I was doubting myself too much. I am glad I have spent the extra time 'perfecting' my finishing technique on the exams.

Ouch. Totally missed that tidbit. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

BS, and to a much lesser extent PS, was boning me a bit everytime early on in the AAMCs because I wasn't reading the entire passage. Now, I read it all in both sections unless I am running out of time, and I think it has helped my scores.

That said, the majority of the ?s I miss in the sciences are along the same lines. Not so much factual or even knowledge based, but passage comprehension... which I think is ******ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
BS, and to a much lesser extent PS, was boning me a bit everytime early on in the AAMCs because I wasn't reading the entire passage. Now, I read it all in both sections unless I am running out of time, and I think it has helped my scores.

That said, the majority of the ?s I miss in the sciences are along the same lines. Not so much factual or even knowledge based, but passage comprehension... which I think is ******ed.

In BS I usually always read the entire passage as I usually have a lot of time on that section, must have just missed that this time.

PS I rarely read the passage unless I have no idea what is going on as usually I don't even need it.

Hope everyone's studying is going well.
I didn't do my AAMC in order but here are my scores in chronological order.

AAMC 4
VR: 9

AAMC 5
PS: 14
VR: 10
BS: 13

AAMC 7
PS: 13

AAMC 9
PS: 12
VR: 11

AAMC 10
PS: 13

AAMC 8
VR: 10
BS: 12

AAMC 6
VR: 11

I stopped after AAMC 6. I don't want to psyche myself out anymore so I didn't bother doing AAMC 3.

Average
PS: 13.3
VR: 9.8
BS: 12.8

I just hope I can get a 10+ in VR, don't really care about the sciences (provided that they're above 11 of course).

In BS I usually always read the entire passage as I usually have a lot of time on that section, must have just missed that this time.

PS I rarely read the passage unless I have no idea what is going on as usually I don't even need it.

same here, I feel the PS passages usually have a lot of extraneous info.

I always end up with at least 20-30 min left in BS which really freaks me out. PS on the other hand I finish barely on time with 1-2 min left.. haha.. definitely my greatest weakness

All I know is I better not get a bloody nose or something stupid during the test since we can't pause. I would seriously just take my shirt off and bleed on to it for the rest of the test. It is allergy season for me!

Oh, and no annoying coughing people please. I will stab them with pencils.

You know what scares me most during test day??
diarrhea!!!!!! last few tests, I specifically bought peptobismal just in case I get hit with a giant wave of intenstinal smooth muscle contraction.

How detrimental is it to attempt an AAMC test the day before the actual test? Will this have some sort of subtle psychological effect on me? I wasn't able to take a test today b/c something incredibly stupid took my time :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow: basically Physics equations. Since apparently there is more physics now (physics that wasn't on AAMC3-10 probably), I am rusty on almost everything besides capacitors and pulleys.

Test day:
I'm guessing the testing center will be freezing, so despite the 85 degree weather I'll be wearing long pants.

Directly after the test I'm off to the BEACH for 3 days... tennis, drinking, sleeping, and NO mcat! I can't wait.

so is everyone just taking the day off tomorrow?

I'm planning to take the day off but I have a feeling I'm going to freak out in the middle of it and look at some equation I forgot, haha. And after the test, going to Cancun for a week, hopefully no swine flu :cool:

I might go over a few notecards in the morning but then nothing strenuous tomorrow. Then relaxing all afternoon.

I'm off to Florida for a week after the test too, so im pumped

Everyone has got some big plans for after the test! It's my friend's 21st birthday Friday and my parents will be in TX for a wedding = Big party at my house Friday night. Then a wedding Saturday night. So I'm basically planning on being drunk for 48 hours after the test. Friday @ 1:30 can't come soon enough!

How detrimental is it to attempt an AAMC test the day before the actual test? Will this have some sort of subtle psychological effect on me? I wasn't able to take a test today b/c something incredibly stupid took my time :(.

Umm it might burn you out, especially if you've been doing several these past few days like I have. I would just review instead.

Get this,

One of my best friends turns 21 on Friday. He is the last one of us to turn 21, so it is already going to be a huge party Friday night.

But, his parents happen to own a bar. He has been talking about how his 21st birthday party is going to be off the chain since we were like 6.

Even better, OPEN BAR! Good lord, I am fully expecting to wake up the following Wed. afternoon in India or something. CAN'T WAIT!

I am taking my last AAMC tomorrow morning, I saved 9 to hopefully give my confidence on last boost. Thinking that 10 today was going to rip me apart... But am now thinking I might just ride the 10-wave into Friday. We will see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow. For sure lounging tomorrow PM.

Everyone has got some big plans for after the test! It's my friend's 21st birthday Friday and my parents will be in TX for a wedding = Big party at my house Friday night. Then a wedding Saturday night. So I'm basically planning on being drunk for 48 hours after the test. Friday @ 1:30 can't come soon enough!

That is my kind of weekend. Sadly, I have not experienced one of those in a few weeks because of this dam test... Will chance that ASAP in about 36 hours from now...

That is my kind of weekend. Sadly, I have not experienced one of those in a few weeks because of this dam test... Will chance that ASAP in about 36 hours from now...

Same here. The last few weeks have been hell since all of my friends came back from college and wanted to hang out/cookouts/go out/etc.

"Sorry... I can't have social interaction until the 22nd!"

: |

Friend of mine was planning to have a birthday party on thursday, but I said I won't come unless it's after friday morning. So now it's moved to friday and now I'm obligated to go, which means I have to cancel my date with my gf.

Too bad I can't be in two places at once.

Friend of mine was planning to have a birthday party on thursday, but I said I won't come unless it's after friday morning. So now it's moved to friday and now I'm obligated to go, which means I have to cancel my date with my gf.

Too bad I can't be in two places at once.

Lame. Bring her?

You know what scares me most during test day??
diarrhea!!!!!! last few tests, I specifically bought peptobismal just in case I get hit with a giant wave of intenstinal smooth muscle contraction.

HAHAHAHahaha! My boyfriend who is taking the boards (Step 1) on Saturday literally just told me he plans to take Imodium just in case of...such things...because it's a 7 hour exam. Honestly, and nerdily, I think our sympathetic nervous systems are going to be going crazy during the test, thus not directing much activity toward digestion... :p

Lame. Bring her?
She wanted to be somewhat of a personal date...soo, I'll just move it back to Saturday.....it's all good......I guess.

delicatefew24 said:
HAHAHAHahaha! My boyfriend who is taking the boards (Step 1) on Saturday literally just told me he plans to take Imodium just in case of...such things...because it's a 7 hour exam. Honestly, and nerdily, I think our sympathetic nervous systems are going to be going crazy during the test, thus not directing much activity toward digestion... :p
Ah ha! I'm not the only one. I'm only bringing it just in case cause that actually happened to me during one of my finals at under. It was the worst 3 hour exam of my life and I don't look forward to a repeat. So prepare for the wave, or get stuck crying on the toilet. :smuggrin:

Same here. The last few weeks have been hell since all of my friends came back from college and wanted to hang out/cookouts/go out/etc.

"Sorry... I can't have social interaction until the 22nd!"

: |

Since I got back from school, I literally haven't left the house except to walk the dog.... I can't wait for this to be over!

partying on saturday, beach on sunday.. thinking about the weekend is my refuge

The worst thing that can happen for me is to feel the enormous pressure of the exam right when I start and then freak out and make irrational choices.

Are you guys just gonna pretend like it's no big deal and just like any other AAMC practice?

I put a lot of pressure on myself so I will probably be listening to a lot of 'calming' music tomorrow rather than my usual crazy electro.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ff0PGN1ID8[/YOUTUBE]

This should do the trick.

I love this song while studying (it's from the NBA Playoff commercials)

That's a pretty big differences than *points to your avatar*, daft punk (I like daft punk too). Reminds me of the music from the video of the guy that did every picture for 2.5 years.

That's a pretty big differences than *points to your avatar*, daft punk (I like daft punk too). Reminds me of the music from the video of the guy that did every picture for 2.5 years.

Hahaha yes Carly Comando - "Everyday"

Like that one also and learned it on the piano.

I actually saw Daft Punk live in Toronto. Best concert ever.

(It was actually Mississauga [Arrow Hall] but basically Toronto)

I guess I have a weird taste in music... one extreme to the other.

I'll be reviewing some formulas tomorrow as well, but nothing serious.

After the test though... my sister's engagement party on Saturday, so we have a bunch of family coming over. Then, my parents go out of the country for three weeks, so I'll be having a 3-week party. Haha!

My taste in music would be called a generalist. If I can accept it, then I don't care what genre it's from. This includes Electronic, Grudge, Rap, R&B, Raggea, Pop, classical, etc etc.

I'll be reviewing some formulas tomorrow as well, but nothing serious.

After the test though... my sister's engagement party on Saturday, so we have a bunch of family coming over. Then, my parents go out of the country for three weeks, so I'll be having a 3-week party. Haha!

Man lucky you.......I'll be stuck back at work after I'm done my MCAT. Gosh I miss having summer break. Oh the life of a grad student. :thumbdown:

Man lucky you.......I'll be stuck back at work after I'm done my MCAT. Gosh I miss having summer break. Oh the life of a grad student. :thumbdown:

Well.. I was exaggerating. I'll have the weekend off for my sister's engagement, but after my parents leave, i'll be working about 50 hours a week. The most I'll do is probably have a beer and play Call of Duty with my brother at night.

Well.. I was exaggerating. I'll have the weekend off for my sister's engagement, but after my parents leave, i'll be working about 50 hours a week. The most I'll do is probably have a beer and play Call of Duty with my brother at night.

Heh, sorry to heard that. Still better than my 5-6 days a week, 12 hours a day work schedule :p, but yeah I get what you mean. Oh well, this better be worth it :rolleyes: in the end. Now off to sleep....

fffffffffff. I just puked in my mouth. That is not cool, your boss really won't let you take the PM off?? :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Yeah I just went to check out the testing center.. it was smaller than I expected actually..

I am NOT going to start counting down the hours.

I just packed up all my books and notecards and stuff that i had spread all over my dining table and chairs and floor.

It's amazing how much bigger my apartment looks! and I can actually walk around!

I'm just spending the day tidying, doing laundry, running out to do some chores this afternoon. I had a quick glance (about 30mins) through some notecards this morning.

RELAX EVERYONE! Starting tomorrow at 1-2pm @ whichever time-zone you are in, we get our summers back!

For some reason, I jumped out of bed this morning at exactly 8 and freaked out. I thought today was tomorrow, and I was late for my exam :scared:

i really i had discovered this forum earlier... well i guess it's never too late. Can't believe it's tomorrow!!! then we will all be done with thissss!!!

Ok... So a quick question... AAMC 3 was the free one, right?

Looking at the scores of everyone who has posted them, would we contribute the lower score (I got lower than my average too) to the fact that it was generally the first test taken... Or because it was slightly more difficult than the others?

Thanks, y'all!

i'm not sure about it being the free one, but it was the first one i wrote and i did horrible... BS9 V5 PS12. Don't remember the difficulty, but i would like to attribute it's horribleness to the fact that it was the first one :laugh: My averages now are 11-12 for BS, 9 for V and 12 for PS. Hope that helps.

oh man I had the worst sleep. I was waking up and reciting physics formulas. This is terrible

I agree - sleep was awful!! I tried to put myself to sleep by dreaming about getting a 45 but clearly the dream morphed into getting like a 25. Why is this such a big deal, we're crazy!

I just went to the test center to make sure my registration name matched my ID (I don't use my real name ever)... so...ya know.. I could take the test.

Ended up in a huge fight with the HBIC there. Apparently it was the biggest waste of her time to open up a folder for 10 seconds and verify my name so I wouldn't have issues tomorrow. She tried to tell me off saying she had students waiting (1 kid in the lobby) and why did I come to ask her. Ummm... maybe because you were the only employee working there? I would much rather waste 10 seconds of your time than 6 months of mine preparing for this.

Can't wait to see her bright smiling face tomorrow morning!

I just went to the test center to make sure my registration name matched my ID (I don't use my real name ever)... so...ya know.. I could take the test.

Ended up in a huge fight with the HBIC there. Apparently it was the biggest waste of her time to open up a folder for 10 seconds and verify my name so I wouldn't have issues tomorrow. She tried to tell me off saying she had students waiting (1 kid in the lobby) and why did I come to ask her. Ummm... maybe because you were the only employee working there? I would much rather waste 10 seconds of your time than 6 months of mine preparing for this.

Can't wait to see her bright smiling face tomorrow morning!

Classic! :laugh:

Everything matched up okay for ya, huh? :luck: