May 22nd, 2009 Mcat takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc4432

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is for all of you that plan on taking the mcat may 22nd. wondering when/how everyone is gonna be studying. I have a bunch of old kaplan books and plan on taking a kaplan class. I haven't started any intense studying yet, maybe after finals. lemme know

Members don't see this ad.

The other I hated was the limiting reagent one in PS -you had to be really really careful of units in it. I did twice through and realised I had messed up the units. Ugh

The other I hated was the limiting reagent one in PS -you had to be really really careful of units in it. I did twice through and realised I had messed up the units. Ugh

That's funny. My test didn't have any limiting reagent stuff. In fact, my test had very little inorganic chemistry...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping the polywater passage was experimental. That was so odd and irrelevant. Who cares about some made up compound that ended up being hypothetical and doesn't even exist.

This is my third MCAT this semester. Think I need to find a new career path......

I don't even know what to think. The PS was cake, because I've studied this stuff over and over again. The VS was mediocre... I think I scored in the 9-11 range.

But the BS was brutal. The insulin one came out of absolutely nowhere and murdered me Kevorkian style. And the extraction passage, I know a lot of you were cool with it, but organic chemistry just isn't my thing and will never ever be my thing no matter what I do.

I'm really curious about one question that has to do with IR/Proton NMR spectroscopy stuff.... I tried googling it but couldn't find the answer :( Said to say there was nothing about carbohydrates or isomers... because I studied that stuff heavily.

And back to the biology... the mitochondria one was not right... and neither was the one about that bone growth disease, but that may have been because I was running out of time.

I'm apathetic. :xf: Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Good luck everyone.

I'm hoping the polywater passage was experimental. That was so odd and irrelevant. Who cares about some made up compound that ended up being hypothetical and doesn't even exist.

Tell me about it! I googled it and it said polywater is used as an example of pathological science... to fool people. That's the AAMC for ya ;)

i have no feelings right now. was so nervous before i sat down i started shaking when i saw bubbles. the people at the test center started laughing when they saw how neurotic i was.

also - during my first break i went to walk and stretch and came back and was out for 15 minutes. i started to freak out thinking it was going to go straight onto verbal without me...but it was just sitting there waiting...pretty nice of it to wait for me....

PS - was so excited that there were virtually no calc's. but cursed EK when they told me not to remember thermal expansion. when i walked out i thought...oh really screwed that one up...then i thought no i didn't, it might've been okay...but now i have been reminded about karate...think i got something wrong there.

i think kaplan sucks. they totally get you into little details which aren't that important at the end of the day.

verbal - thrilled! easy to read. made sense. no random dates with a trillion names to remember. had to fly through the last one though...

WS - i started laughing when they came up. both had been on almost every other practice exam. it was almost irritating to have to rewrite the stuff that i had already written on a practice exam. but this test was the only test i have ever actually finished a WS right on the button. it really calmed me down

BS-i spent sooooooooo long on that first passage. i tried to figure out exactly what was going on and then re read the thing like 8 million times. had to do two passages in 6 minutes. 1 was orgo and i didn't read it at all...just looked at the compunds and gave my best guess.
then there was that "F" thing. didn't have time to read it...so looked at the picture and just pretended it was a regular diagram of what the "F thing" was supposed to be....please tell me it was just a regular old "F" thing

i had nanobacteria. kinda liked it.

one orgo passage was seriously just a matter of counting and knowing one particular bond structure.

i am praying that i scrolled down to all the questions...in some of my practice exams i didn't scroll down all the way and missed some questions.

right now it seems like an out of body experience. i feel like i wasn't even the one taking the test. serious autopilot.

i have no idea how to feel about this thing.

does it matter how you feel after taking it?

This is my third MCAT this semester.

Hey TexanGal, this statement caught my attention. How quickly after your first did you get a seat for your second, or after your second your third? Im just hoping I can still retake it after I get my scores back and still have an early application. Just wondering, thanks.

ok now i'm freaking out that i didn't answer all the questions in one passage in the BS section. i can only remember three questions from the passage...

trying to be discrete: it was an orgo passage that had you look at a picture and was labeled with letters and roman numerals and there were dahsed lines:
the only questions i remember had to deal with

1. counting a certain number of things
2. name that structure
3. name that bond

and i don't know what else....if anyone remembers the other questions and can hint at what they were about maybe i can stop freaking that i didn't answer all the q's

You definitely can :) But words of wisdom - if you don't have the time to study for it and DRASTICALLY improve your score... don't do it.

I took it first at the end of January. I knew I did horribly (see my post int he January 30th MCAT thread)... but my friends that took it with me had me convinced otherwise... that maybe I just felt bad. Well anyway, I did horribly. So upon receiving my scores March 30th, I signed up for the April 4th exam. Well I had a new job that I needed to keep... and needless to say didn't study so I figured I'd take it and void. I took it and didn't void because I was happy with the PS/VR.... did bad on the BS, shoulda voided. So I waited for my score May 3rd ish... and signed up within a week. I was constantly checking.

I live in the DFW area so there are two testing locations around me. This definitely helped me find all those seats...

My advice is if you feel bad about it, in 48 hours try signing up for the next one you feel comfortable with. If that's June 18th, you have a few weeks to prepare :) It should open up... you just have to constantly check. You wouldnt be able to complete your application until July... but I don't really think that's a big deal since you cant submit the Texas apps or the AMCAS apps until June.

lol this is kind of embarassing, but I am really nervous about the writing sample. I am a good writer, but for some reason I couldn't think of a damn thing to say. for each essay, i wrote about 3 paras about 6 sentences each that were trash. i felt good enough about the other sections with the exception of a problem here or there on vr and bs, so I hope I don't have to retake because of an M or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was actually a very similar passage about polywater in a Kaplan (i think) full length I took. I was soo ridiculously happy when I saw this one.

inthebay: I don't think your writing score really matters unless it's on the extreme lower end (J?) so if you got an M and did well otherwise, I wouldn't retake. It's not too far away from the avg which I think is a P.

lol this is kind of embarassing, but I am really nervous about the writing sample. I am a good writer, but for some reason I couldn't think of a damn thing to say. for each essay, i wrote about 3 paras about 6 sentences each that were trash. i felt good enough about the other sections with the exception of a problem here or there on vr and bs, so I hope I don't have to retake because of an M or something.

I swear they draw writing grades out of a hat. I wrote two of the WORST essays I've ever written and got a Q on it. I have no idea how it happened! Don't worry about - all they care about is if you have an M or higher.

omg., thanks so much. i def. thought i didn't get to all the q's. thinking bout it...it was probably the experimental since they only put three q's with it. and that ticks me off cause i spent time counting all those things.

inthebay : don't worry about your WS. i was trying to write amazing ones beforehand and people read it and said it doesn't make a difference - just write something that references the prompt in someway. my friend said she wrote the biggest piece of ^)*& and got a T.
everyone says it's a crapshoot.
i just got scared because i kept writing it"s instead of its...

Dude. I'm glad that's done.

I felt good about the PS section, and unsure about the others.

Man. I could train an orangutan to write those canned exercises in robotic writing.

I p!ssed on that section and laughed while doing it. I wonder if I'll get an O. Or whatever their equivalent of "Fail" is. Do grown people actually put a lot of stock in that writing grade. Surely adcoms must realize it's pointless. ....?

I've been following this thread for a while, but first time posting in it. Anyway...

PS: Thought it was decent. It got progressively more difficult for me as I got further into the section, but overall, I think it suited my strengths more than it could have.

Verbal: For seriously the first time, I enjoyed reading a couple of the passages. And I was cruising right along until the 3rd passage, at which point I started struggling, and time became and issue. Overall... I really have NO idea how I did in this section. A lot of times if I think I did poorly, I do well, and if I think I do well, I do poorly. So I'm not gonna try to guess. I have ranged from 8-11 (mostly 10s and 11s) on practice tests, so I'm sure hoping for a 10!

WS: I never practiced writing sections on practice tests or in any of my studying, but fortunately I think it worked out. My timing was fine. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed the hour break for writing. It was a nice change of pace from the other sections.

BS: Ahh geez... don't know what to think. Way too much organic for my liking. The problem with organic for me is that I can often use logic to get to the answers, but I never feel comfortable because my "logic" is not always accurate. Basically, I'm just gonna hope fore the best in this section because like verbal, I have no idea what to really think.

Overall: Could have definitely been better, but also could have definitely been worse! Here's to hoping we did well! :thumbup: Is anyone planning to keep studying in case they need to take it in July or at any later testing date? Or are you just going to wait to get your scores?

i feel like that test was so hard. horrible.
p-never was my strong point. guessed on more questions than i'm comfortable with.
v-my strong suit, so no worries there.
essay-got ns on practices without any effort, so hopefully ill get something better thanks to actually trying.
b-what was with all that orgo?!? ask me about anything but orgo. i can't stand orgo haha. so i don't feel confident there either.

DavisStudent, i think i might study some more just in case my score isn't acceptable. that way if i do have to retake it, i can get the earliest date and feel prepared enough. i don't want to spend my money signing up for it until i know my score, though.

thanks for the support...still can't shake the feeling that i bombed the writing though

btw, how the hell am I supposed to wait a month to get my 45j

i thought PS was hard. in fact, for the first time ever, i totally ran out of time and ended up guessing on ~10. has this happened to anybody in the past? if so, how did you end up doing on PS?

Well.... phew, that's over!
Wow... I've been in hell mode for the days leading up to this exam... I got into such anxiety mode, that my blood pressure sky rocketed, and I still have sinus pain... but anyway, my feedback...

PS- Not too bad, but I lost some composure, and didn't think clearly through a couple of questions (know for a fact that I got the pendulum question wrong because I didn't divide probably, although I correctly derived the equation... part of my loss of concentration I blame on the thermal expansion q, wth? it wasn't even covered in Berkeley Review) I think I had more gen chem questions than physics... I actually liked the Karate questions, the calculations for it were really easy... lots of questions requiring knowledge of the periodic table... surprisingly I finished in time, but had no time to review marked questions

VS- Seemed pretty straightforward... mostly easy/standard passages, but one I found really difficult... um, the navigation passage? I had trouble with half the answers for that passage, also finished in time, but didn't have time to go over marked questions.

WS- It was fine, don't really care, didn't study for it at all

BS- all I can say is WHHHHYYYYY???? WTF was that? I'm generally good at Bio, I took the MCAT once before, and got a 10 on the BS section without studying a word of Orgo (also had 3 orgo sections last time), so I figured I'd go into this exam the same way... I just briefly went over nomenclature, stereochemistry, and alkane reactions. Well, boy did I receive a whipping. It seemed to me like most of the questions were based on logic and not any knowledge, almost no physiology, and the physio questions that were on it were detailed (um... cell type?)...too many molecular/genetics/virus/bacteria questions... which I find difficult as is, but in the context of these passages damn near impossible... I'd be happy with a 7 in bio, seeing as how it went, I usually have 20 minutes to spare on the Bio section, after reviewing the questions, this time, I was working out the answeres up until time expired...

hoping for a nice curve on bio

ok. It was alright.
Verbal: skipped 2nd passage on self crap all together. Last passage seemed easy.

Bio: Cancer genetics was kinda tricky, seemed like there was a decent amount of histology. Multistep extraction- should have reviewed more

Phy- Not too too bad. Didnt use any equations though or trig values, more conceptual. I was ready to use some formulas.

Writing- Same ol same ol business stuff

Ive taken 6 exams (2 PR, 4 AAMC) and gotten basically the same score on all of them. What can you do? Ive taken princeton review and done 75% of the homework.

At least the mcat is not 10 hrs anymore, thats when I took it before. Then it could only be taken 3 x in my life. Now its 3 x per year. So, I may retake it, but I had to wait 3 months to get my seat in FL. Waiting 3 months is a pain, but I guess its time to try and review more if I have to......

seems easier the second time through!

Oh man, so full and drunk right now :laugh:, but anyways this is my take on the exam.

Overall: I thought it was exactly on par with what I was expecting. A little challenging for time than usual but it was probably one of the better feeling test that I've wrote (in comparison to the other ones I wrote previously).

PS: Surprised that I was running short on time for this section. There were a a couple of questions that I wasn't expecting but overall I thought it wasn't all that bad (at least there weren't too many thermodynamics passages). I didn't know there will be a question on thermal expansion either, but I sorta made up the answer based on the units and worked around it.

VR: second passage definitely a hard one. As I was expecting, humanity passages were hard, sciences were easier, and social sciences were the easiest.

BS: definitely pretty easier compared to my previous real tests. It was the first BS section I did on an actual MCAT that I had time left over. There were a few orgo questions that I really did not like, i.e. the one about Kichener reduction, but aside from that there really weren't too many questions I wasn't expecting. I was expecting for much worst.

WS: love the topics, they weren't too ambiguous and the examples weren't too hard to come by. Pretty easy to bullsht :p

Hope everyone best of luck on the curves :thumbup:

Last edited:
i think on the same exam day they give different exams, not entirely different, but some passages here and there, you should not have the same exact test as the person next to you

here are my thoughts

PS:similar to aamc 8, couple of curve balls, overall not TOO bad, not as easy as aamc 9

VR: similar to aamc 10, easy so it might be curved hard

BS: similar a rabbit being pulled out of a hat... cell shapes, and that was the hardest organic chem compared to any aamc exams...

when i say "similar to" i mean the way i felt after taking it

Same here. I am a good writer, but I have to have topics I am passionate about if I want to write well. The questions really sucked and I couldn't think of much to say about them. I'll probably be getting a J on the writing!

Oh, yeah, and the polywater question sucked majorly...as did most of the questions in PS. The only thing I felt decent about was BS. I'll probably have to retake.

OMG. For the WS I was half-way through the last sentence of the entire essay and ran out of time! Did anyone else do this?? Otherwise it was a solid essay...:( I'm wondering if that's going to automatically drop my score??

On the other subjects..I felt PS and BS were definitely a tad tougher than on AAMC practice tests. PS passages required more critical thinking and less discrete knowledge than practice tests. VR passages were comparable in difficulty but generally longer.

If the curve is generous I'll probably score similar to the practice test, but this is one that could go either way.

First post!

PS: I thought this went very well. I am pretty solid on the sciences though. The dipole question was a critical thinking one. Only one answer was logical, so no calculation was needed. At least that is how I saw it. Hopefully I did well on this one.

VR: Who knows? I never finish these during practice test. I did skip passage 2 about some song writer or something. Finished up the rest and did well (i think). I guess on the questions from passage 2. I tried to skim it as time was running out. I run out of time on the right passage. Hopefully it goes well.

BS: Well crap. I know I missed two questions that I looked up after the test. This section was harder than any practice test I took. The passages were vague and hard to read. The orgo was different than other test. I hope I did ok with the curve. It seems everyone thought this section was hard.

My practice test range was 27-35, but I will be happy with 30+.

My two state schools median MCAT score is 28-29, so hopefully I will be ok.

According to Kaplan... the writing secion seems to be more like a thought process than writing to me.

P--- is Adequately addresses all task, has ideas but lacks depth and synthesis. Coherent but has digressions. Adequate vocabulary and sentence structure.

I really don't care about it though. I just want to get whatever makes the SC schools happy.

I feel horrible about the test...hope there's a good curve. I went right to the end of the time limits on each section and felt panicked about running out of time. Didn't get the chance to review any of my questions and answered some real quickly just to move on.

PS: didn't memorize thermal expansion equation cause EK said not to, missed that one. Also I missed the one about resistivity in a wire...didn't memorize that. The bubbles passage was pretty random and a Ksp question regarding halides I probably missed.

VR: actually did okay with time and had a awhile to spend on the last passage about the authors. I did hesitate on a lot of the questions regarding the navigation passage. so hard to really know how you did on this section

WR: First prompt was from a aamc test and was easy. I couldn't think of good examples for the second prompt though and just BS'd it.

BS: yuck! The extractions passage was horrible and I basically guessed on most of it. Messed up on one of the binomial theorom/genetic discreets (which was pulled from an aamc test as well). Heavy orgo and tough discreets. seriously was down to the last few seconds answering these questions.

The more I think about the test the worse I feel. I think I'll wait to get my scores to sign up for a retake though.

According to Kaplan... the writing secion seems to be more like a thought process than writing to me.

P--- is Adequately addresses all task, has ideas but lacks depth and synthesis. Coherent but has digressions. Adequate vocabulary and sentence structure.

I really don't care about it though. I just want to get whatever makes the SC schools happy.

Here's my thoughts on the test today.

PS-wasn't harder overall than the aamc tests, but apparently I should've practiced my timing more. I had to hustle to finish in time.

VR-I guess the passages were typical length, but they seemed long and tedious to me. Theory isn't my strong suit either...

BS-Did have alot of orgo, but overall I think I did ok. Sometimes I wish I didn't trick myself into misunderstanding the cardiovascular system...

WS-Did better on the first than on the second, but overall went well. Didn't run out of time!

How many other testers were in your centers?

BS was hard, heavy orgo stuff!!! the first two bio passages were ok, but the orgo passages and questions (bicyclo cmpds, extractions...) were very tough and discouraging, I ended up guessing on many questions. The insulin passage so tricky!!

Greetings from Kiawah Island

I'm up really early since I woke up at 5 to drive to the test yesterday, so I thought I'd get on here and share.

PS- Pretty simple stuff... about 3-4 questions I had to semi-guess on

VR- I hope I'm not the only one who felt that the QUESTIONS themselves were quite hard even though the passages were a breeze to read. I probably made lot's of stupid mistakes on this section and will probably end up with an 8... that would be horrible

BS- Yuuuck. Insulin? Amino Acids what? Tested on all of my good sections but still managed to leave me completely unsure of most of my answers and ready to get the damn grades back.

We're done, go enjoy yourselves!!

Looking forward to our June 23rd congregation

This was my first attempt...does it really take a full 30 days to get results back?
My only issue's were the excessive Orgo...which Im glad to most sharing that take on it...and the verbal...I have a hard time finding myself enjoying some passages and getting caught up in them. I was down to 14 minutes for the last two and they werent easy.

This was also my first attempt...i can echo some of what the rest of you are feeling...I was okay following the test, but now I realize certain specific questions that I know I did incorrectly...it is a bit overwhelming.

I feel pretty good about it. It seemed easier than some practice tests and harder than others, which is what I was expecting for the most part.

But the most important thing is that We're Done!

Ugh.

How long do I have to wait until I can sign up again? I guessed on more than I was comfortable with.

PS = sucked. Didn't memorize the thermal expansion formula so got that wrong. Ran out of time. Hated the Karate Board passage.

VR = Almost ran out of time but just made it. Some of the answer choices were odd as usual but overall I didn't think it was that bad.

Writing: Whatever. My first essay was good, second one, not so much.

BS = WAY more organic than I thought it would be. Guessed on a lot. Bicyclic Passage = Not fun. I also didn't like the ATP Mitochondrial one... was confusing...

Does everyone get the same test on the same day? I got the karate board/mitochondria/thermal expansion one too. I didn't know the formula either but I think you could tinker around with the units and figure it out.... did anyone else do it that way?

Does everyone get the same test on the same day? I got the karate board/mitochondria/thermal expansion one too. I didn't know the formula either but I think you could tinker around with the units and figure it out.... did anyone else do it that way?

I marked it..and skipped it. Didn't have time to puzzle my way threw that one or the q charge one with all the fun units. Everyone doesn't get the same test. Some people got the spaceship...others didn't.

I marked it..and skipped it. Didn't have time to puzzle my way threw that one or the q charge one with all the fun units. Everyone doesn't get the same test. Some people got the spaceship...others didn't.

lol. took the test yesterday and i already feel a thousand miles from it. i can't remember what the spaceship one was.... don't know if it's just slipped my mind or if i just didn't get it at all.

so, i understand that people get different versions of tests. does aamc mix and match passages from a larger pool (ie we may have gotten some of the same passages but not all), or do they give fully different versions of tests to people?

so, i understand that people get different versions of tests. does aamc mix and match passages from a larger pool (ie we may have gotten some of the same passages but not all), or do they give fully different versions of tests to people?

I'm not entirely sure, but from comparing the topics on mine to what others have said, it seems that most of the passages are the same and then a few vary. Just a hypothesis.

as an addendum:

i'm a test re-taker (i have two sets of scores already, though truth be told, i've probably registered for it and/or voided scores at least 3 or 4 times more), and the poly-water passage seemed vaguely familiar. i feel like i may have seen it before on a previous test i took (not a practice one), which makes me wonder just how big (or small) their pool of passages is.

Here is my more indepth take:

PS- Started the test and I was shaking because I was so nervous, I thought I was going to explode because I could not get into the hang of the first passageGreat, nothing outside of the tougher, slightly more calculation heavy AAMCs. The math WAS slightly more involved, but if you just set up the calculation it was usually very evident what the answer was because the answers were orders of magnitude off. Moreover, unit analysis absolutely saved me on a couple of questions, including the thermal expansion. This let me finish ~20 minutes early, checked over the entire exam, and spent a lot of time thinking over my marked questions. There were 2-3 I was not sure on, but I think I ended up getting most of those write after I checked it out after the test. I know I inevitably made a few mental mistakes that I over looked, score will depend on how many. 12-14.

VR- I had a great break following the "high" coming off the PS. Opened up verbal WAY less nervous than I usually am on the practice AAMCs. Passages were great, not dense at all. No longer than AAMCs. Questions were very straight forward. Finished as early as I do when I get a good verbal score, for me anyway, on the AAMCs. I can't really predict this section well ever, 10-12. I would be absolutely exstatic if I got a 12.

WS- A blast. I love to write. This was my first time writing an essay, never did them during the practice tests. Prompts were so open ended. I could have written on and on. I did better than average, hopefully.

BS- Ouch. This section I am scared about. There were quite a few I was not 100% sure on, some I had no idea. Some very trivial questions pissed me off. Finished early again, only about 15 min. There were at least 15 organic questions: 2 HARD passages and a number of discretes. This was def. one of my worst BS. Thinking 11-12, but could be a 10 if I didn't do so hot.

Overall probably a 33 on the low end or a 36-37 if I did better than I thought. Guessing I got a 34.

Oh well, its over!!!!!

How would I have known that about Endopeptidase though. I knew what it did, but not how it did it.

How would I have known that about Endopeptidase though. I knew what it did, but not how it did it.

There was a lot of stuff in the BS section where I thought "WHERE WERE WE SUPPOSED TO LEARN THIS!?" In point--> the cell shapes. I HAD NO IDEA about that, whatever.

I thought the BS was way out there, hopefully there is a generous curve

The general consensus seems to be that BS was the hardest section on the May 22nd exam. I'm preparing for the July 2nd exam, and I'm curious to know how much memorization was actually required for BS? It seems like the general trend is to make us extrapolate the answers from the passages.

I'm preparing for the 7/2 exam, so any input is appreciated. Good luck.

In my opinion, the questions that asked for random pieces of information were discrete or pseudodiscrete and the information couldn't really be inferred from the passage (cell types, specific reagents, special reactions and that sort of thing). There wouldn't really be a great way to go about preparing for those sorts of questions because they were so random. I would just stick to the general information as usual and hope if they give you one of those random ones you either remember it from somewhere or can narrow it down to 2 or 3 answer choices and guess well.

The general consensus seems to be that BS was the hardest section on the May 22nd exam. I'm preparing for the July 2nd exam, and I'm curious to know how much memorization was actually required for BS? It seems like the general trend is to make us extrapolate the answers from the passages.

I'm preparing for the 7/2 exam, so any input is appreciated. Good luck.

I felt that I did ok on BS, but there is no way I could have done well without anatomy and physiology. They asked a lot of questions where the answer could not be inferred from the passage and was directly related to factual knowledge about anatomy and physiology. The A and P stuff they had on there was not covered in my gen bio class.