maybe a dumb question, what does P.A. after DDS/DMD stand for?

txntooth

10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
this may be really dumb but i can't find it on a search and i was just curious... what does the P.A. after the DDS or DMD title signify?
i see most dentists use it in their titles...

thanks!

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2001
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
this may be really dumb but i can't find it on a search and i was just curious... what does the P.A. after the DDS or DMD title signify?
i see most dentists use it in their titles...

thanks!

I believe it stands for Professional Association. Many professionals have the P.A. (lawyers, docs, dentists, businesses, etc.), although how you get involved and exactly what it does is still a mystery to me.......

OceanBlue

HA! I knew it.
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
South
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I believe it stands for Professional Association. Many professionals have the P.A. (lawyers, docs, dentists, businesses, etc.), although how you get involved and exactly what it does is still a mystery to me.......

Gosh...i want to know too...maybe it has something to go with the financial aspect...ie taxes, bankruptcy, etcc????????????????????
I asked this question before and when I told me the answer....i went lalallalh lah llah lahl....then i fogot!

About the Ads

drcase2011

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
doctor of dental medicine=DMD and doctor of dental surgery=DDS. They are both equivalent degrees. The name difference does not really mean anything anymore; it's just a matter of semantics.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
That wasn't the question.

Just a sign that too many people ask that Q apparently.

I've also heard PA used in regards to "Physician's Assistant," but that wouldn't make a lot of sense in this case.

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I tried to Google it, but still couldn't come up with an answer.

TexDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
From what I can tell, most dentists with the PA have done a residency.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2001
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
From what I can tell, most dentists with the PA have done a residency.

I know several general dentists that have the P.A. after their name. Never have gotten around to asking them what it means.

I don't think it has anything to do with actual dentistry, but more along the lines of the dental practice being a business. Perhaps something to do with belonging to the local Chamber of Commerce?

Go Navy!!!

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
This is what I found on the web:

Q
What does PC or PA after a dentist's name stand for?
A
These are abbreviations for the legal terms - Professional Corporation or Professional Association. A PC or PA dentist is one who has incorporated his practice for income tax purposes. These abbreviations have nothing to do with his or her ability as a dentist

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
SoCal
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

Q
A
These are abbreviations for the legal terms - Professional Corporation or Professional Association. A PC or PA dentist is one who has incorporated his practice for income tax purposes. These abbreviations have nothing to do with his or her ability as a dentist

I was just going to chime in with this info! A lot of the lawyers I work with incorporate themselves for tax purposes.

OceanBlue

HA! I knew it.
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
South
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

Q
A

Ha! i knew it :D

kappa505

eres tu que mi odio
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
Sea of Ecstacy
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It means professional association. In NM you are required by law to have it to practice dentistry. It is similar to LLC, CORP, ect.

Tens2bznus

Jun 29, 2017
The abbreviation DDS stands for doctor of dental surgery, and PA refers to a professional association. DDS is the degree held by the dentist, and professional association is a legal term that allows a person to be treated as a business entity for tax purposes.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.