Maybe we should do what law grads do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we at a point where more than 10% of the graduating class can't find a job yet? I thought the jobs were still out there, just not always in the ideal location.

Probably not...and looking at this board makes it seem like 30% or more of new grads can't find a job within 6 months of graduation. Even if 10% can't find a job (which is not true yet), 90% are working. That's much better than some other majors. So the sky is not really falling.

Now, in 2012, when I graduate and so do the first classes of a lot of these new schools, we'll see.

The only profession that looks safe going into is medicine. Everyone else is screwed. I have a friend that is an engineer that graduated over 2 years ago and doesn't have a job. MDs, DOs, and PAs will have jobs. Well, I'm not so sure about PAs, but it makes sense since they can help with primary care and the GP shortage. But health care reform could screw physicians up some. Too early to tell. The next 5 to 10 years will be really interesting for the United States. The US has gone completely to service industry. Professional degrees have provided big bucks in the past and are easier to get than PhDs. Everyone has caught on, so professions are getting flooded. And older professionals are not retiring. I'm just happy I got a job now. It wasn't what I wanted, but it's better than nothing. Now I'm just stocking up on ammunition in preparation for the zombie apocalypse. :eek:

At least with law, the stronger a graduate you are, the better you'll do. With pharmacy, it can be difficult to compete against other people that also happen to have pulses. At least, that's the impression I get here, in my own experience, it's always hard to find good people, even pharmacists, we're still far from that saturation point.

I'm sure those who graduate from top law schools can find jobs. What school hasn't mattered much for pharmacy, but maybe that will change soon. Lawyers can prove themselves in a courtroom. It's a little more difficult to prove how good of a pharmacist you are when all these corporations care about is script count.

In other words, what I said :)

On the negative side, law can be more about who you know, how much they like you, how your school ranks, etc. rather than how good you actually are.

It's not like lawyers get scored after each case and ranked, most don't even work in courtrooms anyway. Most of it is run-of-the-mill boring monotanous crap.

I don't understand why people even consider law a good profession, unless you have a team of people working under you and just call the shots, which can take a lot of the best years of your life to get to, you might get to this point. Not for me.

My thing is, if you're going to be a pharmacist competing against everyone else fine, but find some sort of skill set that sets you apart from everyone else. That's how everyone else gets ahead in the workforce, why should we be any different?

Or you could also, you know, move somewhere else. It's ridiculous to hear about people complaining about not finding a job in an oversaturated metro area. No kidding. You're either insane or an idiot if you waste too much time trying to get a job somewhere like that. I'm willing to relocate just about anywhere to find a job, so finding work after school is simply a matter of finding a moving truck (or if I'm headed to Alaska, maybe a plane...)

My thing is, if you're going to be a pharmacist competing against everyone else fine, but find some sort of skill set that sets you apart from everyone else. That's how everyone else gets ahead in the workforce, why should we be any different?

What sort of "skill sets" are you supposed to find some where to set you apart?

So we should do what law grads do? Throw a big 'ole temper tantrum because they are 150k in debt with no job. Despite the fact they went into law ignoring all evidence that there are to many lawyers and to many high priced schools. Cry me a river law grads. You are the idiots that went into law without researching the field.

What sort of "skill sets" are you supposed to find some where to set you apart?

Everyone has a particular area where you excel at. Take that and evolve it. My knack thus far has been on the business side of things. Since I realized that I have exposed myself to many different variations of a pharmacy business model and have completed some rather unique projects, especially for someone my age.

Helps make me stand out more against a crowded, and similar, field.

So we should do what law grads do? Throw a big 'ole temper tantrum because they are 150k in debt with no job. Despite the fact they went into law ignoring all evidence that there are to many lawyers and to many high priced schools. Cry me a river law grads. You are the idiots that went into law without researching the field.

What sucks is that the job market has changed so much in such a short time. When I applied to pharmacy school (2005) there was still a large shortage, especially in my area. I started school in 2006 and should have graduated this year. Most of my original classmates found jobs with little trouble. Since I took that time off after my daughter died, I will be graduating next year and am worried about finding a good job. I did my research on the field but had no idea that things would be this different! It stinks, but what can you do?

What sucks is that the job market has changed so much in such a short time. When I applied to pharmacy school (2005) there was still a large shortage, especially in my area. I started school in 2006 and should have graduated this year. Most of my original classmates found jobs with little trouble. Since I took that time off after my daughter died, I will be graduating next year and am worried about finding a good job. I did my research on the field but had no idea that things would be this different! It stinks, but what can you do?

Pharmacy is different. The job market turned on a dime. Take into account the worst economic collapse in US history and pharmacy is struggling.

Law on the other hand has been oversaturated for 15 or more years. The problems with high priced schools and no jobs are nothing new for law. All I was saying anyone who has gone into to law recently should have know what the job prospects were going to be like.

I was under the impression they just hired an internal medicine pharmacist...:confused:

I think you are talking about the new faculty from Sullivan. If you are, they are not federal employees. Their salaries are paid by SUCOP. We are down more than one pharmacist in our outpatient operation.

Do I know you?

I think you are talking about the new faculty from Sullivan. If you are, they are not federal employees. Their salaries are paid by SUCOP. We are down more than one pharmacist in our outpatient operation.

Do I know you?
Didn't know they were not a federal employee. Interesting. And no, you don't know me, but I do attend your school :p