Mayo accepted everyone. What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pluto98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the process for how they fix this? Can some adcoms chime in as to what they scene must look like there (Can we get lawyers for example), do they have to honor it!!!!! @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @Med Ed @Moko

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
It appears that Mayo (MN campus) accidentally accepted a huge number of applicants in their portal (far too many for the class size), which sent an automatic "accepted" email at the same time. There is some speculation that those who received the email are actually all those who were supposed to be on the waitlist or rejected. In any case, it's chaos on the Mayo MN thread--it looks like some people got the email and immediately cancelled other interview invites, withdrew from other schools, announced the good news to their friends and family--only to find out (or not yet, if they're not SDN) that it was a mistake. Meanwhile, the admissions committee has remained completely silent on the problem. They are probably trying to sort it out right now, but people are saying it is extremely unprofessional to not send at least a "bear with us through this unfortunate mistake" email. No one is sure what is going on or what happens next.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty sure @LizzyM has said admissions deans have been fired for things like overenrolling a class... I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a school accepting everyone who interviewed before. Heads are gonna roll for sure

Reactions: 9 users
I didn’t apply but I’m emailing them too maybe I’ll slip thru the CRACKS!

• Haha
Reactions: 37 users
Accidentally accepted students have no legal case no make.
1) every medical school always has some written policy and/or student handbook that reserves the right to rescind any acceptance specifically written in vague language so it can be broadly applied. A simple letter retracting announcement to all these incorrectly accepted students will be sufficient
2) if a student tried to sue, the above will be held up in court, especially if none of these acceptances had been reported to AMCAS within Mayo’s own system. This would be deemed a communication error snd nothing more

And what if people rescinded other acceptances or interviews which people in the thread have already done in the interim. Can they sue for damages?

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
They can try, but Mayo will always have "acceptance can be rescinded at anytime" no matter what action the applicant took

Which is why they worded the whack “apology” letter with the word ‘rescinding’

Reactions: 1 users
They would have to prove damages.
Say someone withdrew from other schools because of this (it is their top choice, etc etc), then they find out the rescinded offer. They then email the withdrawn schools, who won't take the applicant back. Is this grounds for damages?

This isn't me, but it looks like one or more on the Mayo thread has withdrawn II or As because of this...

Say someone withdrew from other schools because of this (it is their top choice, etc etc), then they find out the rescinded offer. They then email the withdrawn schools, who won't take the applicant back. Is this grounds for damages?

This isn't me, but it looks like one or more on the Mayo thread has withdrawn II or As because of this...
How would someone show damages? I really don't want to venture into playing armchair lawyer. The point is moot, because Mayo has a perfect defense.

If I were the Dean of Admissions at a school that someone withdrew from because they made a decision based on Mayo's error, I would take them back in a heartbeat. That is a very, very easy way to generate good will when dealing with someone who has been burned. I think we can all feel a tremendous empathy for everyone caught in this firestorm.

• Love
Reactions: 70 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that Mayo (MN campus) accidentally accepted a huge number of applicants in their portal (far too many for the class size), which sent an automatic "accepted" email at the same time. There is some speculation that those who received the email are actually all those who were supposed to be on the waitlist or rejected. In any case, it's chaos on the Mayo MN thread--it looks like some people got the email and immediately cancelled other interview invites, withdrew from other schools, announced the good news to their friends and family--only to find out (or not yet, if they're not SDN) that it was a mistake. Meanwhile, the admissions committee has remained completely silent on the problem. They are probably trying to sort it out right now, but people are saying it is extremely unprofessional to not send at least a "bear with us through this unfortunate mistake" email. No one is sure what is going on or what happens next.
Holy moly.

Reactions: 2 users
They’ll just say “oops, sucks to suck” and the poor students will be on their own

I know this is a buyer's market but there needs to be some benchmark for professional conduct on both ends.

The fact that some students with 0 acceptances withdrew from all schools after this screwup goes to show the significant blunder this caused.

I am disappointed in medical admissions teams for expecting us to bend over backwards to gain admission and not even being semi-professional with us in return.

Reactions: 20 users
I am no way defending Mayo as they themselves should get mollyrocked for both the situation itself and how they handled it, but I am very confused at to how some people made such an impulsive decision to withdraw from EVERYTHING immediately like what? Not gonna play the financial aid matching game or anything?

Always been paranoid something like this would happen so I’ve been waiting til the actual “commit to enroll” deadline where I can actually see it and select the school itself.

Reactions: 16 users
I am no way defending Mayo as they themselves should get mollyrocked for both the situation itself and how they handled it, but I am very confused at to how some people made such an impulsive decision to withdraw from EVERYTHING immediately like what? Not gonna play the financial aid matching game or anything?

Always been paranoid something like this would happen so I’ve been waiting til the actual “commit to enroll” deadline where I can actually see it and select the school itself.
I mean, some schools are known not to give much financial aid. And some people are wealthy enough to not really care about financial aid. If you get into a T10 and you’re fairly certain you won’t be going to Podunk U paying full COA, it makes sense to withdraw. The blame falls solely on the admissions office here for this enormous blunder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any plaintiff have to show the following in order to win
1) They would have to show significant negligence on the part of Mayo. An email glitch /error would not rise to that level
2) they would have prove actual damages and loss of an opportunity as opposed to incurring actual money would not fly
3) they would have show that the mistakenly accepted students actions would be so direct and timely to negligent behavior that it would impact. Since final acceptance is not until April 30th, that PTE to any school isnt until by April 15th, according to guidelines, that most students with multiple acceptances are still holding all of them, this would be a high bar to get past a jury.

Now, you could try to sue for psychological damages of pain and suffering but that may take 3-5 years to get to trial. And if you were accepted to medical school in the meanwhile your case would be weak indeed
Did you go to law school? I did. Mayo is not off the hook if they told someone who reasonably relied on an offer of admission to their detriment. Mayo is not free to screw up other peoples lives. Applicants who turned down other offers of admission, especially if those offers came with significant merit aid, could get that case to a jury. Boiler plate warnings in admissions materials aren't a license damage others. See the law of products liability.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 42 users
Did you go to law school? I did. Mayo is not off the hook if they told someone who reasonably relied on an offer of admission to their detriment. Mayo is not free to screw up other peoples lives. Applicants who turned down other offers of admission, especially if those offers came with significant merit aid, could get that case to a jury. Boiler plate warnings in admissions materials aren't a license damage others. See the law of products liability.

BRINGING OUT THE STRAIGHT FACTS!!!!

• Haha
They can try, but Mayo will always have "acceptance can be rescinded at anytime" no matter what action the applicant took

not a lawyer but I think they would have a case because the withdrawal is due to negligence on the part of the school that caused real financial damages to the applicant. Key would be negligence...

Any plaintiff have to show the following in order to win
1) They would have to show significant negligence on the part of Mayo. An email glitch /error would not rise to that level
2) they would have prove actual damages and loss of an opportunity as opposed to incurring actual money would not fly
3) they would have show that the mistakenly accepted students actions would be so direct and timely to negligent behavior that it would impact. Since final acceptance is not until April 30th, that PTE to any school isnt until by April 15th, according to guidelines, that most students with multiple acceptances are still holding all of them, this would be a high bar to get past a jury.

Now, you could try to sue for psychological damages of pain and suffering but that may take 3-5 years to get to trial. And if you were accepted to medical school in the meanwhile your case would be weak indeed

puts pitchfork away

pulls out pitchfork

1581644881886.png

• Haha
Reactions: 41 users

Brutal blackpill!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Regardless of whether lawsuits get involved, you can bet that Mayo has their lawyers$$$ on retainers ready to go, since the unfolding of this email travesty.

Reactions: 7 users
Regardless of whether lawsuits get involved, you can bet that Mayo has their lawyers on retainers ready to go, since the unfolding of this email travesty.

Looking over the Mayo thread it looks like they're putting them on WL.... smart move.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This is totally unrelated but for one of my interview invites I was afraid it was an error so .... there's that. I literally showed it my advisor and asked her to read it and she thought I was nuts...

Reactions: 1 user
What’s possible and plausible are two different things though.... let’s be real here

What’s possible and plausible are two different things though.... let’s be real here
Ntm rescinding an acceptance happens generally bc the applicant did something to deserve it not they just ended up on the receiving end of something horrible....

not a lawyer but I think they would have a case because the withdrawal is due to negligence on the part of the school that caused real financial damages to the applicant. Key would be negligence...
Financial damages could easily be $5k for primary and secondary apps. More for flight and hotel.

This doesn't include emotional damages.

Holy sh--, if every applicant did this, Mayo would have to pay hundreds of millions in damages. We need to get a sue Mayo thread started!

Send some mayo to mayo!

• Haha
Financial damages could easily be $5k for primary and secondary apps. More for flight and hotel.

This doesn't include emotional damages.

Holy sh--, if every applicant did this, Mayo would have to pay hundreds of millions in damages. We need to get a sue Mayo thread started!
I would encourage any applicant in this situation who has the means to consult with an attorney to do so

I would encourage any applicant in this situation who has the means to consult with an attorney to do so

I think it is way too early to think about this. Before anyone thinks of suing, the first thing they should do is contact both Mayo and the schools from which they withdrew. Mayo has indicated through personal apology phone calls that they will help anyone in this situation to negotiate with any other schools this may have affected. I expect it will work out fine in the vast majority of cases—I can't imagine that most schools wouldn't be understanding given the circumstances. Only if you try this first and schools refuse to restore one's waiting/waitlist/acceptance status should anyone consider suing.

Reactions: 5 users
I am disappointed in medical admissions teams for expecting us to bend over backwards to gain admission and not even being semi-professional with us in return.
THIS. This could be an entire thread. Ways to improve the medical school admissions process such that it works reasonably well for both applicants and adcoms.

Step one: any amount of mutual respect

Reactions: 13 users
THIS. This could be an entire thread. Ways to improve the medical school admissions process such that it works reasonably well for both applicants and adcoms.

Step one: any amount of mutual respect

What would mutual respect look like in the event of a technical error? Seems to me that the scripted responses to the applicants + email is all you could really do.

What would mutual respect look like in the event of a technical error? Seems to me that the scripted responses to the applicants + email is all you could really do.
The scripted responses + emails to falsely accepted applicants should be a given. They should be extremely responsive to inquiries from students on dealing with the aftermath of withdrawn interviews and acceptances elsewhere, including providing proof of their mistake if needed.

My comment on mutual respect in the application process was more of a general one :)

If these are all applicants you interviewed. If I was part of an adcom on a school and interviewed these people - call every single one of them and make sure if they need correspondence that we will do the best that they can.

but I’m not part of an adcom.

If these are all applicants you interviewed. If I was part of an adcom on a school and interviewed these people - call every single one of them and make sure if they need correspondence that we will do the best that they can.

but I’m not part of an adcom.
They did individually call everyone, too. And asked if they had made any changes to other applications (ie withdrawing, canceling interviews) and if so, they were willing to help.

Reactions: 7 users
I seriously question the emotional development/ability to handle disappointment in premeds. There’s something wrong with either the process or the way kids are being brought up. Maybe both. Seriously, talks of lawsuits over an honest mistake?

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Storytime: whoever did this reminds me of someone I worked with at a billing department of a large regional hospital on the east coast. The lady made an action that wrote off over $1 mil in medicare claims at once... oh boy was that an emergency haha. We got it figured out. I'm sure Mayo will figure this out too. Not everyone is terribly qualified behind the keyboard.

Applying the law of product liability would be a difficult to make as would any case concerning a direct or implied contractual obligation. . There is no evidence that this was intentional on the part of school for this error, nor is it likely to show any widespread negligence that an error like this should have been reasonably expected. Since the main product/service of the medical school is to provide education, the withdrawing of the initial agreement to offer the opportunity does not a) show any liability due to the impact of the product/service (ie education had not begun) and b) does not, again, have a actual direct cost to the withdrawal. That is, no monies already spent, with the exception of application fee and travel costs for interview, have been spent.

Now as to the question that the plaintiff lost other opportunities and made decisions based on information sent in error, getting damages on say lost future earnings would be difficult. The contractual analogy would be buying a house or any real property. While the seller and buyer may make an initial agreement, it usually takes weeks for an actual contract, filled with conditions and exceptions, to be signed and weeks more to be executed. If the seller reneges, the potential buyer cannot, for example, sue based on what a projected future resale value on this house. Likewise, an applicant who has made decisions based on this communication error cannot sue based on what they would have made as a physician.

This would even be an more difficult argument to make for two additional reasons. First, this isnt some uneducated consumer being guided by a "boiler-plate" agreement. It is a highly educated, intelligent applicant who would have been expected to understand the terms and conditions of applying to any individual medical school. They would have completed out primary and multiple secondary applications, and with the level of competency that would be expected from an applicant to medical school, it is a reasonable expectation that they knew or should have known the terms and conditions of doing so. The second reason this would be difficult is that a medical school is not trying to make a profit but has a mission to serve the public good by training prospective physicians, a mission that deals with life and death. This would require that any alleged negligence, product liability, or failure to fulfill a contract rises to the level of such an egregious act as deserving a legal remedy.

Now, as I said in my first post, can an applicant sue for pain and suffering, thus looking for either damages on lost future earnings, psychological pain, and/or punitive damages. Well they can certainly try. However, if they were to reapply and get accepted elsewhere over the 3-5 years it may take to for this action come to trial, it would severely weaken any argument they have.

Lastly, over shadowing all this, is whatever state action that is brought has a path for federal review. This is because all medical schools are accredited by LCME, which is appointed effectively as the agent for the HHS to oversee allopathic medical schools for the purposes of accreditation. This would include their admission policy, their process to do so, and above all, their mission. Again, that very high bar to show such an egregious action would be hard to reach.

Thank you for letting you know you went to law school. One does not simply have to go to law school, but actually earn a degree and pass the bar. Or perhaps they need to sue under product liability showing fault in their service to produce a competently educated attorney
Worst case scenario, an applicant is unable to secure admission at any other school after declining acceptance even with Mayo's endorsement to said med school. Do you sue, wait 3 to 5 yrs for a decision, (which you might lose), or reapply? If you got accepted once, you likely can be successful as a re applicant with a real life story to tell. Lastly, Mayo will have very capable high priced lawyers, will the applicant have the same? It is not so much about being right, but who has the right lawyer. I'm betting it all works out without lawsuits.

I seriously question the emotional development/ability to handle disappointment in premeds. There’s something wrong with either the process or the way kids are being brought up. Maybe both. Seriously, talks of lawsuits over an honest mistake?
I think it's a generational thing with so many being taught that whenever adversity arises, adopt a victims mentality. You cant have any ownership in the adversity. Refuse to be a victim and you wont be one.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
I think it's a generational thing with so many being taught that whenever adversity arises, adopt a victims mentality. You cant have any ownership in the adversity. Refuse to be a victim and you wont be one.
Dude, these people may have pulled out of other acceptances/invites , potentially totally forking over their chance at starting med school this year over some ridiculous circumstance they can't have anticipated

Reactions: 13 users
Dude, these people may have pulled out of other acceptances/invites , potentially totally forking over their chance at starting med school this year over some ridiculous circumstance they can't have anticipated
And Mayo said they would help them get re instated. Several Adcoms said they would endorse the readmission status of students affected by this. I dont think there will be much collateral damage as opposed to the worst case scenario I described above

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
And Mayo said they would help them get re instated. Several Adcoms said they would endorse the readmission status of students affected by this. I dont think there will be much collateral damage as opposed to the worst case scenario I described above
Oh I was talking about legal action for the worst case scenario only