Mayo accepted everyone. What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tenor.gif

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Only rich people can afford to delay having a career for 2-5 years to work a minimum wage gap year job, which is what most people can expect with a biology degree from a non-T20 undergrad. I have no idea why people think the training pathway to become a doctor needs to become even longer. We already devote 15 years of our lives to this.

On a side note, I dont know why so many nontrads often seem to display such a superiority complex over people who came into med school straight out of undergrad. One pathway isn’t better than the other. People dont get accepted to med school unless they’re ready for it, and that includes your 22-year-old classmates.
Why major in Biology then? One major is not superior to another with respect to admission. Other majors provide better job opportunities than a BS in biology. With the stats for admission being around 40% of all applicants, not having a viable plan B if you dont get in shows me a lack of maturity. Planning for a gap year should be in the back of every pre meds mind.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Why major in Biology then? One major is not superior to another with respect to admission. Other majors provide better job opportunities than a BS in biology. With the stats for admission being around 40% of all applicants, not having a viable plan B if you dont get in shows me a lack of maturity. Planning for a gap year should be in the back of every pre meds mind.
That’s fair, and people definitely should have contingency plans in case they don’t get into med school. But not every student can major in engineering or CS. The sole thing I’m trying to disagree with is the idea that you can’t be ready for med school straight out of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken 3 years off of school and am currently working a full-time career type job where I think my boss would describe me as mature and responsible. I was still upset when this happened. I cried. I think the idea of a lawsuit is silly, but I also think that questioning the maturity of a generation because of their heartbreak after a very unfortunate situation is silly.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 14 users
I'm a 4th year medical student and I don't often venture onto the pre-med forums these days, but I heard about this and had to see what the reaction was. I must say I'm shocked at the lack of empathy here. As somebody who got into only one medical school, I'm not ashamed to say that if I had to call my family and friends and tell them that was a mistake, it would basically be the most devastating and humiliating moment of my life - and I've done some embarrassing things. Does that make me sheltered? I don't know. I'm not going to apologize for caring deeply about something I put so much time, money, and effort into though.

Now I imagine that people who are seriously in contention for Mayo likely have more than one acceptance at some wonderful programs, but still...people have every right to be upset about this. This was an egregious mistake and I feel very badly for everyone involved. No need to invoke some trite "kids these days" commentary into the situation.

• Love
Reactions: 33 users
They should take the case on Judge Judy

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I'm a 4th year medical student and I don't often venture onto the pre-med forums these days, but I heard about this and had to see what the reaction was. I must say I'm shocked at the lack of empathy here. As somebody who got into only one medical school, I'm not ashamed to say that if I had to call my family and friends and tell them that was a mistake, it would basically be the most devastating and humiliating moment of my life - and I've done some embarrassing things. Does that make me sheltered? I don't know. I'm not going to apologize for caring deeply about something I put so much time, money, and effort into though.

Now I imagine that people who are seriously in contention for Mayo likely have more than one acceptance at some wonderful programs, but still...people have every right to be upset about this. This was an egregious mistake and I feel very badly for everyone involved. No need to invoke some trite "kids these days" commentary into the situation.

According to many in this thread you would be adopting a "victim mentality" and are indeed sheltered. You need to "man up" and just....not be a victim.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I think it's a generational thing with so many being taught that whenever adversity arises, adopt a victims mentality. You cant have any ownership in the adversity. Refuse to be a victim and you wont be one.
Who raised them to be like that?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
This is the point everyone can’t seem to comprehend. Other countries’ health systems aren’t collapsing just because people start med school at 18. We already have students complete at least a 4-year degree before joining med school, which not only tests their academic mettle, but also ensures they have some real life exposure to taking out loans, living away from home, paying bills, etc. If people can graduate from college with a high GPA and can juggle extracurriculars, a social life, studying for standardized tests, and research, I think they’ve proven that they have quite a bit of life experience relevant to medical school

Many of those countries have significantly longer graduate medical training. When you graduate medical school at 23 but have 6-7 years of residency to be an internist, it ends up being about the same.

Reactions: 2 users
Being upset/frustrated is completely normal. I don't think anyone would expect otherwise.

The article said Mayo sent correction letters a few hours later so I would say the VAST majority didn't even have a chance to process it. Sure a bunch prob told their family and friends, and very unfortunate.

But I doubt anyone really will be affected from a marticulation standpoint. Who would see the letter and jump right on the computer to rescind all of their other acceptance. Even if they did, I am sure a quick call to admission would easily correct is as a spot likely would still be there for you.

Many of those countries have significantly longer graduate medical training. When you graduate medical school at 23 but have 6-7 years of residency to be an internist, it ends up being about the same.
It would be the same if students in the US started med school for the most part at age 22, and became internists by 30. But people here are advocating for students to take a few years off and not matriculate until 25-26. And at least you get a pay check during residency. In addition, those 5-6 years of medical school in Europe involve many of the same challenges that our students go through in medical school in the US. If a 20-year-old can handle it over there, I don’t know why a 22-year-old wouldn’t be able to over here.

All in all, I still think our system of BS/BA -> MD is better, because it lets people develop interests and skills outside of biomedicine. And by all means, if you’d like to take a few more years to explore life before matriculating into med school, I fully support that too. But if someone is ready to get started on the pathway to being a doctor at age 22 and an adcom agrees that they’re ready and admits them, I don’t think that means they’re doomed to be an emotionally volatile, unprofessional, and irresponsible doctor just because they started school “young”.

Reactions: 7 users
It would be the same if students in the US started med school for the most part at age 22, and became internists by 30. But people here are advocating for students to take a few years off and not matriculate until 25-26. And at least you get a pay check during residency. In addition, those 5-6 years of medical school in Europe involve many of the same challenges that our students go through in medical school in the US. If a 20-year-old can handle it over there, I don’t know why a 22-year-old wouldn’t be able to over here.

All in all, I still think our system of BS/BA -> MD is better, because it lets people develop interests and skills outside of biomedicine. And by all means, if you’d like to take a few more years to explore life before matriculating into med school, I fully support that too. But if someone is ready to get started on the pathway to being a doctor at age 22 and an adcom agrees that they’re ready and admits them, I don’t think that means they’re doomed to be an emotionally volatile, unprofessional, and irresponsible doctor just because they started school “young”.

Totally agree.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree.
I’m just sad this thread turned into another opportunity to dump on “kids these days”. The kids, for the most part, are alright. And not to mention, it probably wasn’t someone from my generation that made yesterday’s huge mistake that started this whole thing.

Reactions: 16 users
I’m just sad this thread turned into another opportunity to dump on “kids these days”. The kids, for the most part, are alright. And not to mention, it probably wasn’t someone from my generation that made yesterday’s huge mistake that started this whole thing.

I just don't get the "kids these days" argument. If kids these days are like that, it's because their parents' generation raised them that way. Take the log out of your own eye.

Reactions: 12 users
I just don't get the "kids these days" argument. If kids these days are like that, it's because their parents' generation raised them that way. Take the log out of your own eye.
Isn't that part of the reason everyone hates the baby boomers?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Nice try, Stan, your prejudices are belied by real world experiences that we faculty see firsthand. Like students getting kicked off rotations.
Seems like this says more about your schools adcoms ability to accept responsible applicants, than an entire generations work ethic tbh

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
THANK YOU. The fact this goes over all gen x and baby boomers heads is what is astounding. They blame it on the emergence of technology but you could even go further and say, "well who let their kids spend all day on xbox and phones then??". Such hypocrisy.

THANK YOU. The fact this goes over all gen x and baby boomers heads is what is astounding. They blame it on the emergence of technology but you could even go further and say, "well who let their kids spend all day on xbox and phones then??". Such hypocrisy.

My point was that we shouldn't be pointing at millennials and saying why are you like this? One generation isn't just inherently worse than another. We all have our faults, and none of us are in isolation. I brought up baby boomers raising millennials like that just to show that we all affect each other, and rather than point fingers and say its just something about them, we should look at what we are contributing to it.

Reactions: 1 users
I think we can all agree that every generation is somewhat different and the change is multifactorial

I think we all can agree that no one really knows which generation is better as it is in the eye of the beholder

I grew up poor, residency had no hour restrictions, you just didn't complain, no social media to know what is out there. I have no clue if this is a better environment vs the current "express yourself" generation. I am sure if I went to residency today, I would think the old timers have no clue how to live or enjoy life.

Reactions: 4 users
I think we can all agree that every generation is somewhat different and the change is multifactorial

I think we all can agree that no one really knows which generation is better as it is in the eye of the beholder

I grew up poor, residency had no hour restrictions, you just didn't complain, no social media to know what is out there. I have no clue if this is a better environment vs the current "express yourself" generation. I am sure if I went to residency today, I would think the old timers have no clue how to live or enjoy life.
Great post. “Kids these days” statements are particularly ironic because nearly every generation in recorded history has made that argument in some form. My grandpa used to do it to my dad, who now does it to me and my siblings.

Social structures, political ideas, and prevailing attitudes about how we should live our lives all change over time, and those changes may or may not be due to generational shifts in attitude. Whether that’s for the better or the worse is a subjective opinion (typically a biased one).

I just hope that the younger generations remember how we felt about these complaints and refrain from making them when WE are the “old folks.”

NOTE: Nothing in the aforementioned prohibits one from telling kids to get off your lawn past the age of 60. That is normal and expected behavior.

Seems like this says more about your schools adcoms ability to accept responsible applicants, than an entire generations work ethic tbh
Not just my school, as I pointed out earlier. It's universal. The sea change seemed to start about 5-7 years ago.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Hmm
n=1 parents were never home. I would say I was mostly influenced by those at school and the media.

n=1 parents were never home. I would say I was mostly influenced by those at school and the media.

Most of whom were raised by their parents, I'm guessing. Unless you lived in a lord of the flies kind of town. But anyway, that wasn't the point.

Yes, it has been a growing phenomenon over the past few years. And it's not merely at the med school level. PDs have been seeing it as well. People ask for vacation after only two days on the job....leaving at 5pm, no matter how much work is still left for them
Well does their schedule say they're done at 5PM?

All these people complaining that med students are too young should shorten the residency process.

I'm not going into a process for 10 years of my life at the age of 30.

• Sad
  • Hmm
All these people complaining that med students are too young should shorten the residency process.

I'm not going into a process for 10 years of my life at the age of 30.
Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

And what if people rescinded other acceptances or interviews which people in the thread have already done in the interim. Can they sue for damages?

It was an honest mistake. You have no damages. You didn't spend any more money or resources than you would have if you were already rejected. There was no contractual relationship guaranteeing any performance on behalf of the university other than to review your application. You would lose hands down. It isn't even close.

This just shows how little power we applicants have. We are farm animals. Best to accept it and move on.

Majoring in something with better job perspectives has many downsides. Splitting myself between CS and premed has made college honestly hellish and even though I am graduating in May I am at the very least still a year away from finding a decent CS job (due to opting to study for MCAT over doing an internship), or getting into med school (due to having to take two CS classes with organic). It especially sucks because a B is a perfectly fine grade for a CS major. Really there are only two GPAs when looking for jobs, over and under 3.0, so actually getting a GOOD grade in any CS is really damn hard, especially at a good school that does CS right.

Biology is a useless major unless you want to be a wildlife biologist or a game warden. If you major in bio, plan on getting accepted to med school or plan on going to grad school as the viable job options are quite limited. I had a double major in chem and education. Teachers in our area make more than wildlife biologists or game wardens. It was a viable plan B during reapplying. Fortunately, unnecessary. You could enter CS jobs, worst case scenario.

• Dislike
Biology is a useless major unless you want to be a wildlife biologist or a game warden. If you major in bio, plan on getting accepted to med school or plan on going to grad school as the viable job options are quite limited. I had a double major in chem and education. Teachers in our area make more than wildlife biologists or game wardens. It was a viable plan B during reapplying. Fortunately, unnecessary. You could enter CS jobs, worst case scenario.

Wildlife management major here that learned this lesson the hard way! The best paying gig I ever had that was somewhat related to biology/wildlife/ecology was contract work baby sitting a seismic survey (helps determine the location of oil/gas deposits) crew working in a national preserve.

• Love
Wildlife management major here that learned this lesson the hard way! The best paying gig I ever had that was somewhat related to biology/wildlife/ecology was contract work baby sitting a seismic survey (helps determine the location of oil/gas deposits) crew working in a national preserve.
My best friends son works for Feds and snipes deer with night vision at airforce bases. Better than hitting a deer on take off. Interesting work, low pay.

• Wow
My best friends son works for Feds and snipes deer with night vision at airforce bases. Better than hitting a deer on take off. Interesting work, low pay.

As a single guy with no kids, I mange to do fine on 50k a year in a low cost of living area, but raising a family on that would be much more difficult. I actually became a fireman due in part to not having a stable source of income for a good portion of my 20’s. Never wanted to be a game warden. While most hunters/outdoorsman are good, salt of the earth people, nearly everyone you encounter in that line of work is armed, and if you get complacent/too comfortable with that, it could very well result in a mistake that costs you your life.

I can honestly say that money has never been a motivation for me entering medicine. This stuff genuinely fascinates me and I have this drive to make it better (which may get beaten out of me by the time I finish residency in whatever field I enter). I can’t remember a time in my adult life feeling this enthusiastic about my future.

@vomit.com disliked my post
Perhaps they could eloborate?

As a single guy with no kids, I mange to do fine on 50k a year in a low cost of living area, but raising a family on that would be much more difficult. I actually became a fireman due in part to not having a stable source of income for a good portion of my 20’s. Never wanted to be a game warden. While most hunters/outdoorsman are good, salt of the earth people, nearly everyone you encounter in that line of work is armed, and if you get complacent/too comfortable with that, it could very well result in a mistake that costs you your life.

I can honestly say that money has never been a motivation for me entering medicine. This stuff genuinely fascinates me and I have this drive to make it better (which may get beaten out of me by the time I finish residency in whatever field I enter). I can’t remember a time in my adult life feeling this enthusiastic about my future.
Thanks for your response. I was merely pointing out the futility of majoring in biology.lf you fail at getting admitted .

You could always be a lab slave with smaller per hour pay then McDonalds!

• Sad
  • Haha
Majoring in something with better job perspectives has many downsides. Splitting myself between CS and premed has made college honestly hellish and even though I am graduating in May I am at the very least still a year away from finding a decent CS job (due to opting to study for MCAT over doing an internship), or getting into med school (due to having to take two CS classes with organic). It especially sucks because a B is a perfectly fine grade for a CS major. Really there are only two GPAs when looking for jobs, over and under 3.0, so actually getting a GOOD grade in any CS is really damn hard, especially at a good school that does CS right.
Make sure your plan B is a plan B and doesn't interfere with plan A.

I was in a considerably difficult major up until junior year to have a decent plan B but I realized that I would have to choose my GPA to save my plan A and switch to bio or choose my plan B and keep my major.

My decision was quite easy to make and I put all my eggs in the med school basket. I realized I would not be fulfilled in any other profession so it made sense for me.

Thanks for your response. I was merely pointing out the futility of majoring in biology.lf you fail at getting admitted .
Not quite. One could pick up some programming skills and become a data scientist. Or they could get business connections and work in the private sector.

Biology major isn't doom and gloom, you'd just have to stretch your skills.

Someone I admire takes a contrarian view on what you should actually study during your undergrad years if your goal is med school. Don’t major in premed, but instead major in something you would be choosing to learn about on your own accord. Yeah, knock out as many of the med prereqs as you can along the way, but I tend to think if you’re actually learning about something because it interests you and not because it’s a required, you’ll do better academically and be a lot less stressed.

• Love
Someone I admire takes a contrarian view on what you should actually study during your undergrad years if your goal is med school. Don’t major in premed, but instead major in something you would be choosing to learn about on your own accord. Yeah, knock out as many of the med prereqs as you can along the way, but I tend to think if you’re actually learning about something because it interests you and not because it’s a required, you’ll do better academically and be a lot less stressed.

I agree with this, but it isn't really contrarian. At least not here. Almost everyone here will tell you to major in something you enjoy.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm currently doing research in industry making pretty good money with just biology BS, which helps as I pay for post-bacc classes to resuscitate my GPA. My immediate co-worker also only has a BS in Biology. I think if you do solid research in college you can find a well-pay job with just a biology bachelors, the catch being the opportunities are largely limited to large metropolitan areas where biotech thrives. Besides, if you do something computational you can always go into finance, do cocaine for 5 years, and go to med school after you divorce goes through.

• Haha
  • Love