Mayo (Jacksonville)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xampower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there interview at Mayo (Jax) yet. Just curious what the thoughts were about the interview and the program from an applicants perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking back on all the programs interviewed, this one really stands out. All of the points you've made are true, and I'll consider the small size a gigantic positive. You're not a worker bee, and that's cool. My chief concern was in case acuity. These are Mayo surgeons, and by an ironic twist of fate I'm sure your patients are pretty well tuned-up before you see them.

How much major vascular? Heart transplants? EF's of <25%? Mega-super-bad diabetes? The livers are great, but seems like you don't get to those until later in the CA2/3 year.

I've heard nothing but great things about Mayo jville.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any new insight to this program?? How important is it to have trauma/peds/OB in house vs outside rotations?

Mayo-Jax is a great program. The fact that it's CRNA dependent is a good thing since the residents get to cherry pick their cases. The faculty are all retired or semi retired Mayo-Rochester staff, so you get all the name recognition without Rochester.

My only concern when I interviewed was that the residents didn't work enough, but they all seemed clinically excellent and in demand so I doubt that was the case. Great little gem of a program.

How does going to outside rotations for OB/peds/trauma impact overall training?

I don't think it really does. In fact it might be better because you may be exposed to a different style of practice at a different institution.
However, leaving for a few months at a time might not be the most feasible for people with families.

I don't think it really does. In fact it might be better because you may be exposed to a different style of practice at a different institution.
However, leaving for a few months at a time might not be the most feasible for people with families.
Fortunately they do every outside rotation in Jacksonville.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user