MBA during medical school (Best Option)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BasketballPhenom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I will be starting medical school in July/August and am currently working on completing my MPH degree. I want to pursue an MBA at some point down the line either in medical school (5 year program with a gap year for it potentially) or after medical school, or after residency even. What do you all think are the pros and cons for each approach? Anything I should be on the lookout for? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking as an MD/MBA, I think the realistic options are twofold:
  1. Combined MD/MBA or DO/MBA program
  2. MBA after completion of residency and board certification process
I opted for #2.

It would be unwise to combine an MBA with med school except as part of an MD/MBA or DO/MBA program. Doing so could drop your grades and/or complicate the matching process. And doing an MBA during residency is just unfeasible, given residency's demands on your time and energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Do an MBA after you finish your residency. A joint MBA with your home program means you have to attend that program. MBA's aren't incredibly valuable without the good networking connections, so applying afterwards would give you the option to apply to a program with a network that would meet and help whatever goals you had in the future for that MBA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MBA's are also expensive. If you end up at a university hospital system with an associated business school, there's always a chance they could help you pay for it.

Do an MBA after you finish your residency. A joint MBA with your home program means you have to attend that program. MBA's aren't incredibly valuable without the good networking connections, so applying afterwards would give you the option to apply to a program with a network that would meet and help whatever goals you had in the future for that MBA.

MBA's are also expensive. If you end up at a university hospital system with an associated business school, there's always a chance they could help you pay for it.

The other side of the coin is that the earlier you become who you hope to be the more those around you can help you find opportunities to further utilize your additional training.

Furthermore, studies have shown that the salary increase when applying to jobs as an MD/MBA can be between $50k-$75k/year increase, depending on location, specialty and the job you're interested in, so money isn't really that big of an issue.

I think that there's some value to doing the MBA before you graduate if you're interested in a relatively marginal increase in salary and responsibility. Aka if you want to be in upper-management of a hospital or healthcare system, but if you want to swim with the big fish and become a CEO/Surgeon general/State Healthcare Advisor or whatever, those guys always come out of name-brand business schools. If you have that at your school great, but if not probably better to wait.

Much more difficult to come back to school after residency though, when you have a family, mortgage, car payment, and have also started to make real money and enjoy a normal life. A lot of it comes down to your appetite for sacrifice and the substance of your ambition.

Speaking as an MD/MBA, I think the realistic options are twofold:
  1. Combined MD/MBA or DO/MBA program
  2. MBA after completion of residency and board certification process
I opted for #2.

It would be unwise to combine an MBA with med school except as part of an MD/MBA or DO/MBA program. Doing so could drop your grades and/or complicate the matching process. And doing an MBA during residency is just unfeasible, given residency's demands on your time and energy.

Is it possible to do an MBA after residency but before fellowship? What about taking a year off in residency and getting an MBA?

Reactions: 1 user
The other side of the coin is that the earlier you become who you hope to be the more those around you can help you find opportunities to further utilize your additional training.

Furthermore, studies have shown that the salary increase when applying to jobs as an MD/MBA can be between $50k-$75k/year increase, depending on location, specialty and the job you're interested in, so money isn't really that big of an issue.

I think that there's some value to doing the MBA before you graduate if you're interested in a relatively marginal increase in salary and responsibility. Aka if you want to be in upper-management of a hospital or healthcare system, but if you want to swim with the big fish and become a CEO/Surgeon general/State Healthcare Advisor or whatever, those guys always come out of name-brand business schools. If you have that at your school great, but if not probably better to wait.

Much more difficult to come back to school after residency though, when you have a family, mortgage, car payment, and have also started to make real money and enjoy a normal life. A lot of it comes down to your appetite for sacrifice and the substance of your ambition.

I'm going to assume that the salary increases you are citing are dependent on you actually being in a management position. An MBA is going to get you absolutely nothing if you're in a purely clinical position - it's just not relevant and people won't care.

For the OP, I will be pursuing an MBA after completing residency training. There are lots of options for completing an MBA that don't require you being a full-time student, including at prestigious business schools; those options just may take longer and/or be more inconvenient. I think there's something to be said for having actual clinical experience working in a healthcare system to get a sense of what you're interested in and problems that plague healthcare management. That's not to say that getting an MBA while a medical student would be useless - the experience just might be more beneficial if you have a real-world context within which to put your education.

Hi y'all,
I will be starting medical school in July/August and am currently working on completing my MPH degree. I want to pursue an MBA at some point down the line either in medical school (5 year program with a gap year for it potentially) or after medical school, or after residency even. What do you all think are the pros and cons for each approach? Anything I should be on the lookout for? Thanks in advance!

You did not state whether you have any experience in the business world so it is impossible to advise you. Additionally you already will have had an MPH so acquiring an MBA on top of an MD will initiate red flags. Too many degrees, especially disparate ones (MBA cf. MPH) will have others questioning your commitments / obligations

Lastly, earning an MBA requires writing massive amounts of scholarly papers weekly, APA format, double spaced, well cited, corrections therein after being graded, group and solo formal presentations, running simulated businesses with classmates which would make any medical student homicidal, and so much more. You would most definitely have to pause your MD Program

What are your career goals? start there

Is it possible to do an MBA after residency but before fellowship? What about taking a year off in residency and getting an MBA?

Yes but from what I've been told the farther along in your training you get the more pressures there are to just finish and start making money. Especially if you have outstanding financial obligations like a house or a family.

I'm going to assume that the salary increases you are citing are dependent on you actually being in a management position. An MBA is going to get you absolutely nothing if you're in a purely clinical position - it's just not relevant and people won't care.

For the OP, I will be pursuing an MBA after completing residency training. There are lots of options for completing an MBA that don't require you being a full-time student, including at prestigious business schools; those options just may take longer and/or be more inconvenient. I think there's something to be said for having actual clinical experience working in a healthcare system to get a sense of what you're interested in and problems that plague healthcare management. That's not to say that getting an MBA while a medical student would be useless - the experience just might be more beneficial if you have a real-world context within which to put your education.

I mean yes, I'd assume people getting an MBA would try to get a job in which they can utilize it...

To your second point yes I'd agree, if OP is undecided as to what they're interested in doing with an MBA it would be useful to wait till later.

You did not state whether you have any experience in the business world so it is impossible to advise you. Additionally you already will have had an MPH so acquiring an MBA on top of an MD will initiate red flags. Too many degrees, especially disparate ones (MBA cf. MPH) will have others questioning your commitments / obligations

Lastly, earning an MBA requires writing massive amounts of scholarly papers weekly, APA format, double spaced, well cited, corrections therein after being graded, group and solo formal presentations, running simulated businesses with classmates which would make any medical student homicidal, and so much more. You would most definitely have to pause your MD Program

What are your career goals? start there

Yeah that did strike me too, the tenor of the MPH is very different from the MBA, and the roles individuals generally fill with either degree are very different.

I agree. What do you do want to do when you grow up? ;)

What do you do want to do when you grow up? ;)

rule the world. Joking. Not.

If a physician has a formidable amount of business experience, earns an MBA and plays her cards right as to being congenial, likeable, engages in a healthy amount of self-promotion and has her eye out for networking opportunities, she can literally be so hot to trot as positioning herself in industry, academia, for-profit, and of course getting support from angel investors to launch entrepreneurial opportunities

the opportunities are limitless for a savvy MD-MBA.

Last edited:
What do you realistically hope to gain by being BasketballPhenom MD, MBA, MPH? What career is out there that will effectively justify the additional time and money spent getting three different graduate degrees?

Not to discredit what others have said, but honestly pursue what you feel is right.

I enrolled in the MBA program at my school on the side and have been doing just fine with almost half the degree already completed. It's not an official dual-degree track, I don't think my school is even aware that I'm also doing an MBA. Classes are tough and require some serious effort but if you're organized you can do both at the same time. Hell, I even started my own business on the side a couple of months ago.

Like I said, do what you feel is right. People tend to over complicate things (i.e. waiting until residency or until they join the workforce) and end up not pursuing it at all due to unforeseen obligations (like building a family). You're young and motivated, start building your future how you see fit. Don't wait for the perfect moment because it might never come.

PM me if you have any other questions.

I'll throw in my 10 seconds as a currently MD/MBA. During my residency I co-founded and CEOed a venture funded start-up that I raised from inception to an over 5+ million evaluation. Now I am a fellow and starting my second company.

My MD/MBA was 4 years total, so I didn't need to invest more time. The opportunity cost of 1-2 years as an MBA is huge - u are paying 60K a year plus losing out on potential 300K+ salary. In your 30s, 360K is worth A LOT when you consider time value of money. 360K in your 30s is probably around 2 million in your 60s. So my decision was easy since I did not need to invest another year.

Honestly most things I learned about business I learned from the environment and not formal MBA school. Your "network" is so critical during MBA school but truly only a few of your classmates will be healthcare related.
The best decision I made was going into a life style friendly residency and fellowship. I did so many business and medical device projects on the side and learned much more about business than I learned during formal MBA trainning. Even as a straight MBA (not MD/MBA) nothing will replace real life experience.

If you are not money strapped, school is a lot of fun, so from a life standpoint staying in school longer is not a bad idea.
MBAs are cool but unlike MDs, they do not give you a hard skill or any specialty talent. As a MD, employer need your license and you have abilities that differentiate you. Your MBA really doesn't give you anything special that you can't learn from on the job or online. The issue with most MDs is that they need structure and a formal academic environment to learn - the idea of just going online and learning business **** and than start consulting seems impossible to most MDs. But that is the most efficient way to do it. A good mentor and work experience will give you much more than any MBA would.

Overall I am very happy I got my MBA but i learned little compared to what i learned running my own business. However on the other hand, some would argue i only started my own business because of my MBA gave me confidence. I would argue otherwise but I cant say for sure.

To get to your question, dont get caught up on the glamor of "MBA" Just learn and join any program that will give you specific experience and mentors in what you want. An MBA can be very general - and anything general can be learned online quickly and cheaply. If you have a specific idea what you want, yo u can join a specialty program for it or find a mentor. but overall MBAs are fun and you can learn a lot of cool stuff, so in that way you probably wont regret it.

Hi y'all,

Reactions: 1 users
Overall I am very happy I got my MBA but i learned little compared to what i learned running my own business.

Agreed in general. It also applies to the MD Degree though

We learn more by doing than by paying for courses to satisfy requirements for a degree that allows you access to actual OTJ training / learning

OTOH, if one already has the business CV, then an MBA is icing on the cake particularly is you had an angel investor or sponsor pay for it. Everyone else will just think the MBA means something when in actuality, it means as much as an MD Degree sans Residency

It is all contingent whether OP has much of a business background. If not, MBA now would be pointless.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! It really has got me thinking about potential uses with these degrees and timing.
I am doing an MPH currently because my work with underserved communities really showed me systemic issues that I did not have any exposure to growing up in a sheltered environment. I am having so much fun in my MPH and learning how to stay culturally sensitive in an evidence based approached to delivering healthcare.
My reason to pursue an MBA is completely different - the MPH is filling an intrinsic desire in me to be able to connect as deeply as possible with disenfranchised communities but looking at healthcare overall, its hard not to see that in todays world healthcare is a business. I have ZERO business experience and really want to set myself up for success. Sure obtaining an MBA will come with an increase in salary off the bat, but that isn't my primary reason (MD degree is enough lol).
I am just apprehensive about what one of y'all mentioned about the two degrees not having anything to do with each other. I completely agree with your point but what if I have different reasons for why I am pursuing each option as I explained above?
Once again, thank you all for your help!!!