This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool342

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to get through the readings in the review books (ExamKrackers) since it's boring. Also I find I do not learn as well from just reading and do better if it is taught outloud in a lecture. I know Khan Academy offers MCAT review videos and was wondering if just watching those and supplementing with the books if I don't understand the material would be just as effective as the readings.
Does Khan academy cover enough important info that is on the exam?
My MCAT date is June 1st so I'd like to get back on track with content review asap. So far I have finished EK Chem book, and most of the physics book, and am currently taking physiology as a class.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm struggling to get through the readings in the review books (ExamKrackers) since it's boring. Also I find I do not learn as well from just reading and do better if it is taught outloud in a lecture. I know Khan Academy offers MCAT review videos and was wondering if just watching those and supplementing with the books if I don't understand the material would be just as effective as the readings.

Yes, I think so. I also think practicing with questions that reflect the material you just read will help with this.

Does Khan academy cover enough important info that is on the exam?
My MCAT date is June 1st so I'd like to get back on track with content review asap. So far I have finished EK Chem book, and most of the physics book, and am currently taking physiology as a class.

My exam is also in June. To get through the organ systems, I reviewed all the highlighted/bolded terms and tried to understand what they were without really reading the book, then I watched the corresponding KA video which made the connections and it made lot of sense to me. Afterwards, i did TBR practice questions and got over 70% right per passage. Prior to that I was reading the TBR book and doing flashcards with quizlet, which took all day ... but when i did the practice questions, I only got about 50% right. Try my new method, it might work for you.

Reactions: 1 user
My exam is also in June. To get through the organ systems, I reviewed all the highlighted/bolded terms and tried to understand what they were without really reading the book, then I watched the corresponding KA video which made the connections and it made lot of sense to me. Afterwards, i did TBR practice questions and got over 70% right per passage. Prior to that I was reading the TBR book and doing flashcards with quizlet, which took all day ... but when i did the practice questions, I only got about 50% right. Try my new method, it might work for you.

Do your think this technique would also work for other sections like chemistry and physics?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your think this technique would also work for other sections like chemistry and physics?

For chemistry and physics, I reviewed TBR and answered the questions. I'm very strong with chemistry so I focused on practice questions. With physics, I spent more time reviewing the book to improve my test taking skills. I haven't watched KA yet, but i'm sure i will for those concepts i'm struggling with.

Reactions: 1 user
I studied for four months, for the first two I studied with a Kaplan course, that was basically garbage. My teacher knew nothing and was constantly making mistakes. I o lg improved five points.
Then I studied in my own using khan academy stuff for a month, that was really difficult and I only improved like two points.
Then my friend from medical school introduced me to his friend who got a 521 and she privately tutored me for super cheap for a little over a month and it improved my score by like 14 points or something. I definitely recommend her. Message me for more info.

I used Kaplan books and full lengths, AAMC full lengths, a book of 100 verbal passages and some NSTP full lengths.

I studied about 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more on the weekend.
Can you Pm me her information?