MCAT accommodation for Medical Devices ONLY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted303591

Does anyone know if I will get flagged on the MCAT for having an accommodation just to be able to keep my insulin pump (attached to me at all times) and continuous glucose monitor with me on person?

I might have to hide my medical devices and keep them on person with me, which sounds like dangerous business but whatever. If I have to, I will find some creative way to keep my medical devices with me on person.

Because if I will get flagged, then I am not filing for accommodations!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if I will get flagged on the MCAT for having an accommodation just to be able to keep my insulin pump (attached to me at all times) and continuous glucose monitor with me on person?

I might have to hide my medical devices and keep them on person with me, which sounds like dangerous business but whatever. If I have to, I will find some creative way to keep my medical devices with me on person.

Because if I will get flagged, then I am not filing for accommodations!

Not sure if you'll get flagged, but you probably won't be able to hide it. They check all your pockets and even scan you with a wand like they do at the airport before you go into the testing room. And med schools probably won't care once they see that the accommodation were medical devices (as opposed having extra time or something...).

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you'll get flagged, but you probably won't be able to hide it. They check all your pockets and even scan you with a wand like they do at the airport before you go into the testing room. And med schools probably won't care once they see that the accommodation were medical devices (as opposed having extra time or something...).

I know this sounds freaky but I have like 3 implanted medical devices inside of me, two of them that set off medical detectors at the airport. So, I will find a way. I have like 3 medical device cards too so they can't say anything about it.

Plus, I am a girl too and bras with underwires set off that type of metal detector. I know this because I get stopped up at airport security at times.

don't quote me on this, but I think when i looked awhile back they have different ways of noting accommodations so needing to have a water bottle or medical device with you is documented differently than getting extra time. like i said though, that was awhile ago and the information wasn't really clear. I do think you can probably get a clear response if you contact them about it.

don't quote me on this, but I think when i looked awhile back they have different ways of noting accommodations so needing to have a water bottle or medical device with you is documented differently than getting extra time. like i said though, that was awhile ago and the information wasn't really clear. I do think you can probably get a clear response if you contact them about it.

Yeah I need to ask them. Hiding the medical devices seems easier than applying for accommodations though.

I found out that they probably do flag for ANY accommodation.

This is pretty lame. I mean, what are medical schools going to think of a person who has a flagged MCAT, took medical withdrawal from University 3 times, and took a leave of absence for a year?

I don't know how anyone could take me as a serious applicant with my problems. I don't understand why AMCAS has to make things more complicated for me.

AAMC puts a notation ("flag") on the score reports of individuals who meet its ADA definition of disability and receive accommodations on the MCAT. The flag does not indicate the type of accommodation or distinguish between disabilities.

http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Homepage/Publications/TheNewPhysician/2009/tnp498.aspx

The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores of students who receive accommodations are flagged and, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges, should not receive the same weight as conventional scores. Furthermore, many disabilities are apparent during the interview process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're going to find yourself in a bad situation when you get there and they question your medical devices. You aren't going to be able to hide things like that, especially when a wand is going off and a pat down is happening.

Apply for the accommodations. I doubt a test center is just going to turn a blind eye when you cry that you have diabetes and didn't know you needed special accommodations. You're clearly skirting the rules.

I think you're going to find yourself in a bad situation when you get there and they question your medical devices. You aren't going to be able to hide things like that, especially when a wand is going off and a pat down is happening.

Apply for the accommodations. I doubt a test center is just going to turn a blind eye when you cry that you have diabetes and didn't know you needed special accommodations. You're clearly skirting the rules.

I guess I will have to.

I think it is pretty lame that everyone who uses an accommodation gets flagged. :thumbdown:

I don't know what AMCAS was thinking.

I guess I will have to.

I think it is pretty lame that everyone who uses an accommodation gets flagged. :thumbdown:

I don't know what AMCAS was thinking.

I see very few applications with a accomodation flag and I personally examine at least 500 applications per year. (I'd estimate at far less than 1%). I did interview at least one diabetic last year who travels with a bag of essential medications, etc and I don't recall any flag on that applicant's MCAT.

Relax and don't worry about this.

I really do think you should contact them directly for clarification before freaking out about it. Looking at their application process, it's much shorter and simpler for needing a device like an insulin pump or something like an inhaler with you than for wanting other accommodations like more time or breaks or something.