MCAT adjustment based on major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prairiemusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a premed advisor tell me that adcoms take points off MCATs for neuroscience or psych majors, the thought being that we should have been good at psych anyways and it's artificially inflating our score. This seems absurd to me - are they taking points off of bio or chem majors too? Has anyone heard of this before?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a premed advisor tell me that adcoms take points off MCATs for neuroscience or psych majors, the thought being that we should have been good at psych anyways and it's artificially inflating our score. This seems absurd to me - are they taking points off of bio or chem majors too? Has anyone heard of this before?
I have a hard time believing that.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a hard time believing that.

Yeah, same here. Little worried bc psych was my best subscore but this guy also told me to only apply to 6-10 schools which is suspect.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This makes no sense lol, mastery of the material is mastery of the material

Reactions: 5 users
This makes no sense lol, mastery of the material is mastery of the material
And an adcom on here explained it to me.

MCAT is what balances out the fact that a 4.0 basket weaving gpa equals a 4.0 biochem GPA. Because I questioned why a joke of a degree was weighed the same as a harder one.

I had a premed advisor tell me

Oh boy, I think I found your problem

Reactions: 14 users
I'm 99.9% certain that isn't true.

Reactions: 3 users
Reason #826373827 not to trust your premed advisors.
The advisor I see at my alma mater is the exception to the rule lol. I generally would take the guidance from premed advisors with a grain of salt

Oh for crying out loud! This "advisor" is so goddamn stupid and ignorant of this process that s/he is being malicious. I can't help myself; this person is a ****ing *****!

Get another advisor, STAT.

Or from now on, just ignore him/her and rely on us.

Reactions: 7 users
The advisor I see at my alma mater is the exception to the rule lol. I generally would take the guidance from premed advisors with a grain of salt

Mine was actually fantastic as well, but I think we were spoiled at my alma mater because so many of us were premed. We dodged a big bullet!

*tinfoil hat* the median for bio major applicants is a full four points lower than for math and humanities majors. :ninja:

It is, but it’s not because they take off points.

Reactions: 1 users
*tinfoil hat* the median for bio major applicants is a full four points lower than for math and humanities majors. :ninja:

I always knew learning bio makes me dumber

This seems absurd to me - are they taking points off of bio or chem majors too? Has anyone heard of this before?

It should seem absurd to you, because it is absurd. Nobody does that.

Yeah, this smells like a certain...organic, bovine-derived fertilizer product. 520 MCAT = 520 MCAT, no matter if you majored in Underwater Basketweaving, Psychology, or Astrophysics.

the best biologist I know is a mathematician by training. Then again, I work in a chemistry department.

Oh for crying out loud! This "advisor" is so goddamn stupid and ignorant of this process that s/he is being malicious. I can't help myself; this person is a ****ing *****!

Get another advisor, STAT.

Or from now on, just ignore him/her and rely on us.

Don't worry, this isn't my primary advisor! He's the advisor at my local school, not the one where I'm getting my degree/committee letter. I am worried about the people who do have him for an advisor though...