MCAT Advice - Push Back Test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbalce

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sure you all get a ton of questions like this. I'm thinking about pushing my test date back. I took the AAMC Practice Test 1 yesterday and received a 504. My MCAT test date is on 5/13/17. My goal is to score at least a 510. Here is my score laid out.

C/P: 127 - 75%
CARS: 123 - 57%
B/B: 128 - 80%
P/S: 126 - 73%

I've been studying for the past 3 months by just doing passages in TBR. I've taken 4 of their practice MCATs, and I received anywhere from a 508 to a 510 on them. My biggest issue is timing. I barely finish in time for B/B and P/S. Usually for C/P and CARS I have to click through a passage and guess because I run out of time. Very concerning, but I figure it just takes practice and more confidence.

I'm having some major testing anxiety as well. I took the MCAT Sample and did decently well on it. I got my target score, but the sample seemed very easy (especially CARS).

My plan is to take the AAMC Practice Test 2 next week, see my score, and decide whether or not to postpone my test. I let go of my ego and accepted the fact that if I were to decide to postpone the test, I would most likely have to apply for the next application cycle that opens in June of 2018.

What do you guys think? I have done almost zero studying from notecards too. If my study method okay? I'm open to all criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Score-wise, I was in a similar position as you January 2017.

My goal was to score 508+. About 1 month out, I scored 507 on AAMC FL1 (129, 123, 128, 127) and ended up taking AAMC FL2, scoring a 506 (129, 121, 128, 128). I took the real deal and ended up with a 504 (126, 122, 127, 129). Unfortunately, I have a retake scheduled May 2017 (all depending if I can get CARS going).

My words of advice, don't take the MCAT just to take it. If you are confident, go for it and kill it. If not, time will only help. Also regarding your unscored test, the CARS section for that is significantly easier than what you will most likely see. AAMC FL2 is the most representative.

Reactions: 1 users
Your CARS and P/S should be your main study concerns at the moment. Your B/B score is good and your C/P score is perfectly fine if you can bring up the other two. P/S is one of the easier sections to improve on (in my opinion) as it involves a lot of simple memorization of key terms. Flashcards are great for this section.

As far as CARS, I'm not sure what advice to give besides continuing to practice.

I agree with @CJhooper123 -- if you don't feel ready and consistently are scoring below your goal on practice tests, don't take it. You'll just end up with high anxiety which will reduce your test day performance either way.

I say spend the next week doing a few CARS passages a day & studying P/S key terms using flashcards. Then, take another FL and see what you get. If performance doesn't improve, move your test day.

Reactions: 2 users
As CJHooper123 stated, don't just take it to take it. I really believe that you can significantly improve your P/S section with a combination of the Khan Academy 300 page document and either Kaplan or Princeton Review Psych/Sociology book. The Verbal/CARS, I can not help you there. Have you been finishing when you do the CARS test? If not, finish at all cost. Take another CARS full length and strictly aim to finish at all cost and then check your score. Good luck. Again really focus on the P/S and the CARS for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As CJHooper123 stated, don't just take it to take it. I really believe that you can significantly improve your P/S section with a combination of the Khan Academy 300 page document and either Kaplan or Princeton Review Psych/Sociology book. The Verbal/CARS, I can not help you there. Have you been finishing when you do the CARS test? If not, finish at all cost. Take another CARS full length and strictly aim to finish at all cost and then check your score. Good luck. Again really focus on the P/S and the CARS for the foreseeable future.

I would normally do 2 CARS passages a day from the EK 1001 Book. I would give myself 10 minutes per passage, and I would usually barely finish on time. My scores would always fluctuate. Sometimes I read a CARS passage and have no idea what it said. I think I'm just not used to doing 9 CARS passages in a row. I need to improve my testing endurance.

Score-wise, I was in a similar position as you January 2017.

My goal was to score 508+. About 1 month out, I scored 507 on AAMC FL1 (129, 123, 128, 127) and ended up taking AAMC FL2, scoring a 506 (129, 121, 128, 128). I took the real deal and ended up with a 504 (126, 122, 127, 129). Unfortunately, I have a retake scheduled May 2017 (all depending if I can get CARS going).

My words of advice, don't take the MCAT just to take it. If you are confident, go for it and kill it. If not, time will only help. Also regarding your unscored test, the CARS section for that is significantly easier than what you will most likely see. AAMC FL2 is the most representative.

Good luck! Thanks for the advice

Reactions: 1 user
Your CARS and P/S should be your main study concerns at the moment. Your B/B score is good and your C/P score is perfectly fine if you can bring up the other two. P/S is one of the easier sections to improve on (in my opinion) as it involves a lot of simple memorization of key terms. Flashcards are great for this section.

As far as CARS, I'm not sure what advice to give besides continuing to practice.

I agree with @CJhooper123 -- if you don't feel ready and consistently are scoring below your goal on practice tests, don't take it. You'll just end up with high anxiety which will reduce your test day performance either way.

I say spend the next week doing a few CARS passages a day & studying P/S key terms using flashcards. Then, take another FL and see what you get. If performance doesn't improve, move your test day.

Thanks for the specific advice! I am going to correct my test over the next 2 days, study the Khan P/S, and do as many CARS passages as possible. I'll let you all know how I do next week

Reactions: 1 user