MCAT Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwalton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, some specific questions for those of you who prepped for the MCAT independently:
I'm a little nervous because I'm taking the MCAT in May and applying in June, so I'm really hoping this goes well! I just got out of orgo and am taking biochem this semester so I have the advantage of having the material fresh in my head. Just so I can hear some of your stories/wise words:
-Did you tackle each subject one at a time, or simultaneously?
-If I have 4-5 months, does 10-15 hours a week sound sufficient to be ready by then?
-How many times did you take it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took my test in June and starting studying the January before.... I would say balancing it with school is difficult but I tried to do at least 2 hours a day during the week and 3-4 on weekends, it is also very helpful that most of the material was being taught in class as well......When school was over I tried to study 7 hours a day (just like taking the test) until a week before and then just reviewed. I thought it was easier to learn the material simultaneously because there are many topics that overlap in bio, chem, psych, etc ....it seems if you stick to your above plan you should be good:)

Bump, I'm also looking for some personal anecdotes for studying from Jan-March/may during a light spring semester. Thanks SDN:)

Members don't see this ad :)
  • I used SN2ed's study schedule but adapted it over 4 full months. This schedule has you alternate the subjects by day. The schedule applies to the old MCAT, but I'm sure with some modification you could find a way to adapt it to the new MCAT, if someone hasn't done so already. Though it does refer to outdated practice materials.
  • 10-15 hours a week sounds on the low side. I dedicated about 20-30 hours a week. YMMV though. Maybe someone else can chime in on their time spent on the new MCAT, as mine was the old one and didn't have the new subjects. I would increase that number, personally.
  • Just once.
My full length AAMC practice tests were in the high 30's to low 40's. On test day, I was sick and couldn't focus very well, got a 36 in the end. Decided not to retake.

I alternated subjects every day, I used @mcatjelly 's schedule from the MCAT forum which I adapted slightly to fit my needs and the fact that I had to postpone my original test date.

I feel ready today after what could be called 3 months of studying but is really more like 2 months of studying and 1 month of practice and review. 4 months, 20 hours a week is probably fine. 10 hours a week is too low imo, you wont see things frequently enough to retain and you won't get as much practice as you need. It's all about how you feel, where you want to score, and what your deficits are at the beginning.

I haven't taken it yet (taking it later this month) but I plan on only taking it once (lol). With the way I have prepped and how I'm scoring on practice exams (above 90% on every section on the AAMC sample, 100% on CARS, highest TPR exam was 514, haven't taken the AAMC scored one yet) I don't feel I will have to take it again if I can perform comparably on the real thing. (aiming for a 514+ score)

As for studying the semester? Just carve out time and stick to it. It's all about being very well organized and not over committing yourself to more things than is absolutely necessary. If you stick to a rigid schedule for schoolwork + MCAT study it can totally be done.

Is it possible to study for 20 hours a week along with a 12 credit hour load( only one "hard class"), with 7-10 hours of volunteering? I'm a fairly good student with a 3.6 sGPA and a 3.7cGPA most of my B's are in the B-B+ range with 1 B- in Calc 1:/ I have mostly A's in my pre-reqs. I'm also in the honors college of my state university. I'm thinking about taking a prep course as well, so the 20 hours would be integrated into the class schedule of the prep course. I still have 3 more semesters till I apply so my GPA will go up hopefully!, I am just trying to get a feel for things so I can make a good plan going forward

Is it possible to study for 20 hours a week along with a 12 credit hour load( only one "hard class"), with 7-10 hours of volunteering? I'm a fairly good student with a 3.6 sGPA and a 3.7cGPA most of my B's are in the B-B+ range with 1 B- in Calc 1:/ I have mostly A's in my pre-reqs. I'm also in the honors college of my state university. I'm thinking about taking a prep course as well, so the 20 hours would be integrated into the class schedule of the prep course. I still have 3 more semesters till I apply so my GPA will go up hopefully!, I am just trying to get a feel for things so I can make a good plan going forward

Yes, it's possible. I studied for it during summer 2014. That summer, I was doing 30-40 hours a week of research and was taking orgo lab and anatomy, so like 5 credits. That said, I absolutely would not advise it. Worst summer of my life. Just take a summer semester off to study for it. Don't take any classes. If your classes end in April, take a week off for break, but then go right into studying. If you're going into junior year, you can get away with taking it in September, which is what I did. I had a full 4 months to study. If you're going into senior year, probably you want your score by August, so adjust the schedule as needed. As for volunteering, there's probably enough time for just that. Don't take any classes, though.

Just my advice. If you need to take classes, you can do it, but it'll be hard.

Definitely use the guides suggested above by the posters (SN2; mcatjelly); these will be helpful since they go by the new MCAT structure.

I studied by subject but kept aware that there was overlap between the subjects; e.g. studied ochem alongside biochem. You will notice repeated topics in the AAMC outline across subjects as well.

I was also taking classes before the MCAT; not impossible but I wouldn't suggest it if you're really banking on a high score because you need time for practicing the exam and understanding it, which will make a difference. On average I did 10-15 hours a week, but that's because I had classes, research, and I had spent several months before the exam prepping, including a whole summer where I had much more time to focus (I also took mine in May). So I would say it depends on how long you're studying. 4-5 months wouldn't have worked for me if I was just starting review.

Yeah I plan to do some review on my own just to brush up on the topics, and then I was going to start "real studying" in January of 2017 and just focus on taking tests and doing practice problems. Hopefully that works out!

I took my test in June and starting studying the January before.... I would say balancing it with school is difficult but I tried to do at least 2 hours a day during the week and 3-4 on weekends, it is also very helpful that most of the material was being taught in class as well......When school was over I tried to study 7 hours a day (just like taking the test) until a week before and then just reviewed. I thought it was easier to learn the material simultaneously because there are many topics that overlap in bio, chem, psych, etc ....it seems if you stick to your above plan you should be good:)

thanks for your encouragement and sharing your personal experience! :)