MCAT and Employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Talking Plan C here. Can I get a job based on MCAT scores as something other than tutor? Are there any industries / companies that appreciate the analytical skills required to do well on something like the MCAT?
Management consulting comes to mind. Does anyone have experience or know of any others? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't put that kind of ju ju in the universe

Seriously - I'm sure you could use it to strengthen your candidacy for a position but not to get your foot in the door. Ultimately though, I think it will raise red flags by showing you may be more interested in pursuing medicine than anything else.

Don't put that kind of ju ju in the universe

Seriously - I'm sure you could use it to strengthen your candidacy for a position but not to get your foot in the door. Ultimately though, I think it will raise red flags by showing you may be more interested in pursuing medicine than anything else.
Always have a plan B, and in my case a plan C. If i dont get in this cycle need something more interesting to do than what I am currently doing. Howard dean also worked for a consulting company if I recall before going to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Iirc, i thought you already have a DO acceptance?
you are correct. It is however so expensive that it may as well be a no go for non trads. I am still trying to figure out if the finances will work out.

I've seen that deposit total floating around... absolutely nuts. Do you have any other DO apps out there?

I've seen that deposit total floating around... absolutely nuts. Do you have any other DO apps out there?
Just got a II from western. The COA for the school is upwards of 300K with little to no financial aid.

Just got a II from western. The COA for the school is upwards of 300K with little to no financial aid.

Congrats on the II! Is there less FA available for DO programs in general?

The cycle is young yet! Based on the depth and analysis in some of your posts coupled with a solid LM and Non Trad status - I'm sure you'll get some love soon from MD!

I have a feeling that once October 15/17th passes and schools know where they stand with their "Tier 1" applicants, we'll see the II's trickle down to everyone else.

Congrats on the II! Is there less FA available for DO programs in general?

The cycle is young yet! Based on the depth and analysis in some of your posts coupled with a solid LM and Non Trad status - I'm sure you'll get some love soon from MD!

I have a feeling that once October 15/17th passes and schools know where they stand with their "Tier 1" applicants, we'll see the II's trickle down to everyone else.

Thanks. The school just gave us a guide on how to search for scholarships and said work study was a viable option which seemed a little absurd since the 5 hours a week won't even cover living expenses. What concerned me the most was the clinical rotations where I would be on my own to figure it out.
I have some IIs from MD schools and am just hoping my state school would take some mercy on me and bring my coa to 150-ish. I think the established MD schools have more resources and money to offer compared to the newer DO schools.

Last edited:
Thanks. The school just gave us a guide on how to search for scholarships and said work study was a viable option which seemed a little absurd since the 5 hours a week won't even cover living expenses. What concerned me the most was the clinical rotations where I would be on my own to figure it out. I have some IIs from MD schools and am just hoping my state school would take some mercy on me and bring my coa to 150-ish. I think the established MD schools have more resources and money to offer compared to the newer DO schools.

They suggested work study?

Some MD's make you waive your right to work PT or FT during school, or so I'm told.

They suggested work study?

Some MD's make you waive your right to work PT or FT during school, or so I'm told.
They seriously did! It seemed really odd.

Edit: I take that back, an applicant asked about it and the financial aid person said it was available and some students take advantage of it, The tour guide also stated that was doing work study. I am not against the concept of work study. I worked two jobs during undergrad to pay for it. It is just I am told time and time again that Medical school is intense, seems counter intuitive to spend time working to make 400 dollars a month when you are taking 90K in loans out each year.

Last edited: