MCAT/Application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pierrq01

Reaction score
So i've been interested in applying for Med School in the field of psychiatry, but i would also like some help. I understand a good application involves some volunteer work, clinical and non clinical hours also. I've had a job at a hospital, and a nursing home and volunteered once before. I would like some tips on what type of volunteer/clinical work i should do, how many hours are good enough? And also, what are some really great books i can use to study for the MCAT ?

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking some good questions, and you already have done some volunteer work which is great. You should have a mixture of clinical and non-volunteering, since it sounds like you're familiar with differing kinds and you should do the particular types you enjoy. Just an applicant right now, but I'd aim for 100+ hours of non-clinical volunteering and 150+ hours of clinical volunteering.

Check out the stickies in the MCAT subforum - they have some pretty helpful study material advice.

You're asking some good questions, and you already have done some volunteer work which is great. You should have a mixture of clinical and non-volunteering, since it sounds like you're familiar with differing kinds and you should do the particular types you enjoy. Just an applicant right now, but I'd aim for 100+ hours of non-clinical volunteering and 150+ hours of clinical volunteering.

Check out the stickies in the MCAT subforum - they have some pretty helpful study material advice.
Okay thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So i've been interested in applying for Med School in the field of psychiatry, but i would also like some help. I understand a good application involves some volunteer work, clinical and non clinical hours also. I've had a job at a hospital, and a nursing home and volunteered once before. I would like some tips on what type of volunteer/clinical work i should do, how many hours are good enough? And also, what are some really great books i can use to study for the MCAT ?
Clinical exposre you seem to have covered. Such exposure can be employment, so you do have to volunteer. > 150 is good in this regard.

What you need is non-clinical volunteering, as in service to others less fortunate than yourself. Again, > 150 hrs. > 300 is fantastic.

For MCAT books, look at the presale Target has right now for the Kaplan books. It's a great deal.

For MCAT books, look at the presale Target has right now for the Kaplan books. It's a great deal.
thanks a lot, big time! Amazon and eBay selling it for like $200 and thats just a lot, i'll be sure to check target