This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ru2013

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble breaking down the brain and determining which structures should be called what and at what times. (sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense- it's been a long day). For example, I've read that the neural tube develops into the forebrain, midbrain, and hindbrain, and then those develop into the telencephalon and diencephalon, the mesencephalon and metencephalon, and the myelencephalon. Then those become various substructures. My confusion comes from seeing a variety of those terms used when referring to the adult brain like my examkrackers book which uses the terms "diencephalon" and "midbrain" on the same diagram (which from various other sources I read seemed to be two different stages of brain development). I have also heard cerebrum and forebrain used interchangeably but not telencephalon (the intermediate between those two?). I'm just trying to make a diagram of the structures and their functions and seem to be going in circles. Any clarity greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.