This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDr092

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre med freshman. I need to know what classes I need to take for the MCAT. I know I have to take General Biology 1&2, General Chemistry 1-3, Organic Chemistry 1&2, Physics 1-2, Biochemistry, Sociology, Psychology. But do I need to take statistics? Should I take statistics instead of Calculus 3? Also do I need to anatomy,physiology, Epidemiology? Should I take a third Bio class?? Is there anything I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Forget the anatomy, epidemiology, and calc 3. The rest are correct in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The sociology and psychology on the MCAT are basic enough that you can self-study them. I'd only take psych and soci courses if you're actually interested in the subject matter.

I felt that anatomy and genetics helped me, though I could have done without them I suppose.

You don't need to take statistics or calc 3 for the MCAT (you may still need to take them for your bachelor's but it won't help you on the MCAT). Although you don't NEED to take anatomy, physio, or epi either, I took all 3 as part of my bachelor's and I thought physio was really helpful for the MCAT. Anatomy didn't show up at all and I don't really remember much epi either. If it's not going to ruin your life/schedule I would recommend taking physio, genetics, and maybe a molecular bio course. I took those as part of my bachelor's and thought they were really helpful when it came time to study for the MCAT. I will reiterate that you don't NEED to take those classes, so if you can't for whatever reason, you'll still be able to do just fine with a set of review books.