MCAT in 2 days, should I void?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taemush512

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
484 is an 8% score. Even a 492 is only a 26% score. That's shows serious lack of content knowledge but I'd need some more information. Have you taken all the pre-reqs? Have you taken any advanced classes? What is your major? What resources are you using to study and how are you studying? How do you actually spend most of your time when studying (this is one of the most important questions). Be honest and we can help you. It took me about 4-5 months to hit my target score while taking classes and working, it happens more than anyone cares to admit, postponing that is.

484 is an 8% score. Even a 492 is only a 26% score. That's shows serious lack of content knowledge but I'd need some more information. Have you taken all the pre-reqs? Have you taken any advanced classes? What is your major? What resources are you using to study and how are you studying? How do you actually spend most of your time when studying (this is one of the most important questions). Be honest and we can help you. It took me about 4-5 months to hit my target score while taking classes and working, it happens more than anyone cares to admit, postponing that is.
i haven't taken ochem yet and only did one physics (also didn't take sociology) but i took everything else
i'm a bio major and i've been using kaplan's books
i studied content for about a month and did practice questions for a month
i feel like i just now understood how i should be studying for this test though
i feel like i wasn't studying the right way., but i'm not sure if it's better to void
or if i should just take it and not take it again until i start scoring at least 500

may I ask why you would even consider taking the MCAT before you take the pre-reqs? What's the rush? That's basically a recipe for disaster. I think you are severely underestimating how difficult the test can be when unprepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely void. A miracle of over 16+ points is unlikely to happen, and a 500 is kind of low to be aiming for. Give yourself time to be properly prepared. Get your pre-reqs done, ace them, and then consider taking an MCAT class as well. If you've been studying for 2 months and this is the result, something needs to be changed.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
i haven't taken ochem yet and only did one physics (also didn't take sociology) but i took everything else
i'm a bio major and i've been using kaplan's books
i studied content for about a month and did practice questions for a month
i feel like i just now understood how i should be studying for this test though
i feel like i wasn't studying the right way., but i'm not sure if it's better to void
or if i should just take it and not take it again until i start scoring at least 500

Def void and extend ..take it in about 6 months.
If you can learn all the material by yourself and don't need to take the prereqs, then study for the mcat and take it in 6 months. If you need to go to classes to learn, then take the prereqs before studying for the mcat.

Even when I had classes, I never went to them lol. You don't need to take all the prereqs on the mcat to do well if you know how to study on your own. I never took a single upper div biology class, no biochem, physio, etc (not a bio major) and I'm signed up for Sep 9th. You can do it, but you just need to know how you study and what works for you.

Good luck. :)

Definitely void and change your approach... I'm a nontrad and was 8 years out from my pre-reqs and it took pretty much re-learning everything to do well. First I worked through the prep books and understood most of the concepts OK. Then I watched Khan Academy videos while taking notes in order to learn the topics well enough to be able to explain them to someone else. Throughout this time I also did practice questions (from the content review books I used and Khan academy which were not as good) and passages. This process took me about 4 months. It may take you longer though, and that's okay! when you don't have the background from pre-reqs, it's going to take longer to study for than someone who is fresh out of most of the classes.

I first took the mcat 8 years ago after not hitting my goal on my practice tests but hoping for a miracle.... Well, I did worse than my practice tests and that score still shows up on my application 8 years later. The score NEVER goes away, even if it's expired. You definitely don't want to risk having that low of a score on your record, so you should definitely void until you're consistently scoring around 505+ on your practice tests. Next Step tests are good and the score is more representative so that you'll have something to go by since you already took the AAMC scored test. For reference, I got between 512 and 508 on the Next Step tests, and I got a 509 on the real thing. Good luck!

Wow! 8 years ago. You give people hope. Good luck with everything.

i started studying for the mcat two months ago and got a 481 on the kaplan diagnostic, two months later i increased by score to 492 but I just took the AAMC practice test today and got 484, it's like i didn't study at all and i'm really discouraged

should i void the test? this is my first time taking it and i was going to apply for post baccs next summer

advice please ahh

(applying for D.O. btw)
Is this real?? With those scores I would say you have no business recording an official score. Void the &*%^ out of that test. At least you will get some good experience.

i started studying for the mcat two months ago and got a 481 on the kaplan diagnostic, two months later i increased by score to 492 but I just took the AAMC practice test today and got 484, it's like i didn't study at all and i'm really discouraged

should i void the test? this is my first time taking it and i was going to apply for post baccs next summer

advice please ahh

(applying for D.O. btw)
Hey. I just came across your post and totally relate to it. I am set to take my MCAT sept 10th but don't feel anywhere prepared my physics, general chemistry and biochemistry content knowledge is bring my scores down. Did you end up voiding your exam. I am planning of doing same and just focusing on retaking it in January.

Hey. I just came across your post and totally relate to it. I am set to take my MCAT sept 10th but don't feel anywhere prepared my physics, general chemistry and biochemistry content knowledge is bring my scores down. Did you end up voiding your exam. I am planning of doing same and just focusing on retaking it in January.

If you are not ready VOID!

Reactions: 1 users