MCAT scheduled for tomorrow, void or grade it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lily16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the MCAT tomorrow and have been preparing with Kaplan but I do not feel ready. I am going to go take it but I dont know if I should void it or not. I scored a 504 on a full length but then my score fell to 498 the last one I took because I think focused too much on taking multiple full length practice exams and did not emphasize review enough. I feel that I have forgotten material and I do not want to take the MCAT and have it scored if my actual score will be that low. I am taking a gap year so I have time if I were to void it and then take it again. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am scheduled to take the MCAT tomorrow and have been preparing with Kaplan but I do not feel ready. I am going to go take it but I dont know if I should void it or not. I scored a 504 on a full length but then my score fell to 498 the last one I took because I think focused too much on taking multiple full length practice exams and did not emphasize review enough. I feel that I have forgotten material and I do not want to take the MCAT and have it scored if my actual score will be that low. I am taking a gap year so I have time if I were to void it and then take it again. What should I do?
I think that if you are already thinking that you will score lower, don'take it. You shouldn't be thinking that way. And since you will be taking a gap year, what's the rush to take it? Take your time.

I think that if you are already thinking that you will score lower, don'take it. You shouldn't be thinking that way. And since you will be taking a gap year, what's the rush to take it? Take your time.
I dont know if I am rightly anxious or if I am just nervous because Ive never taken it. I dont want to rush into it and have it graded if im going to do poorly but I just dont know.

Are those your scores on the AAMC FLs or some random test prep company's? If the latter, the scores are meaningless. If the former, then you should void unless (1) your app is otherwise stellar and (2) you're a URM or you are okay with DO. Even then, a sub-500 is a major hurdle that may be insurmountable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those your scores on the AAMC FLs or some random test prep company's? If the latter, the scores are meaningless. If the former, then you should void unless (1) your app is otherwise stellar and (2) you're a URM or you are okay with DO. Even then, a sub-500 is a major hurdle that may be insurmountable.
Those scores are from the Kaplan course I took. Voiding seems to be the best option at this point then, right?

I think you need to void. You don't seem confident enough, it wouldn't make sense to put your future on the line by taking the MCAT unnecessarily so early. I was schedules for tomorrow as well and rescheduled for March because deep down i knew i wasn't doing my absolute best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Those scores are from the Kaplan course I took. Voiding seems to be the best option at this point then, right?

It sounds like you haven't done AAMC material. I think you'd be crazy to take it if that's true, especially since there is plenty of time to prepare more and take in time for the next app cycle.

Thank you for the input everyone! I ended up voiding, I just didn't want to risk it.