mcat score of 493, UGsc:2.91, Graduate.sc: 3.93

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dukeassa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I somehow ended up with 493 and my undergraduate sciece gpa is 2.91 but my master's (graduate) science gpa is 3.93. i've got 150 hours of clinical volunteer experiences and more than 300 hours of community volunteer experiences. I've lots of basic science research experiences and will soon publish 2 papers.
I'm an asian minority but not the typical ones like filipino or pacific islander.
plus i'm 32 y.o.
my chance is probably zero but wanted to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice rebound on that masters.

The MCAT simply will not fly at any American school, MD or DO unless you were a URM, or Military, and had 3.9-4.0 GPAs in sciences in undergrad and masters. On top of that, the undergrad GPA doesnt simply go away, and will likely keep you from acceptances even if you manage to score an interview with an increased MCAT.

On top of that, I am pretty sure that Asians count as over represented.

The only way I can see you getting into a medical school at this point is by retaking the MCAT, getting a score of 500+, and then Acing a Special Master's Program (SMP). There are a list of SMPs that if you do well in them will grant you a guarantee acceptance into a medical school.

Alternatively, if you still want to be a doctor and dont mind feet, there is the Podiatry (DPM) path. These are foot and ankle surgeons in the United States, and your MCAT is fine enough to get into one of the larger schools and your grad GPA will help the adcoms overlook your past mistakes. Last I checked, those bigger schools still had seats available this year. I would do a lot of shadowing to see if you could see yourself as a foot and ankle doctor. It is the closest thing you can get to being a MD/DO, but it is an alternative and not a substitute. DPM isnt a backdoor to being an internist, but you will (depending on the state you practice in) be regarded as a physician within the majority of the medical community.

There are problems in the profession, and the degree is limited to foot and ankle (and soft tissues below the knee in some states) redering it less useful outside of practice than a MD degree, but DPM schools are super easy to get into because not a lot of people want to work with feet.

Reactions: 1 users
I somehow ended up with 493 and my undergraduate sciece gpa is 2.91 but my master's (graduate) science gpa is 3.93. i've got 150 hours of clinical volunteer experiences and more than 300 hours of community volunteer experiences. I've lots of basic science research experiences and will soon publish 2 papers.
I'm an asian minority but not the typical ones like filipino or pacific islander.
plus i'm 32 y.o.

Unfortunately I think you already know the answer to this. Even if you were a triple URM Veteran with a PhD and a nobel prize your odds would probably only be like 10%.

I don't believe grad GPAs count at all which leaves you with a 493/2.9. Either of these alone would likely be lethal, but combined they pretty much put your odds at zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
plus i'm 32 y.o.

You have great sgpa for your masters and you should re-take mcat. You will do better. Did you take your mcat before your masters?

You have great sgpa for your masters and you should re-take mcat. You will do better. Did you take your mcat before your masters?

yeah the funny part was that I was getting around 498 on practice tests and that's when I was still not finishing on time, rushing through few questions at the end. on the real one, I don't know why but I spent too much time on several questions. i was expecting the same score at least. I feel like I may be able get 500 but that won't happen until late August, which is probably going to be late for rolling-based schools.

Nice rebound on that masters.

The MCAT simply will not fly at any American school, MD or DO unless you were a URM, or Military, and had 3.9-4.0 GPAs in sciences in undergrad and masters. On top of that, the undergrad GPA doesnt simply go away, and will likely keep you from acceptances even if you manage to score an interview with an increased MCAT.

On top of that, I am pretty sure that Asians count as over represented.

The only way I can see you getting into a medical school at this point is by retaking the MCAT, getting a score of 500+, and then Acing a Special Master's Program (SMP). There are a list of SMPs that if you do well in them will grant you a guarantee acceptance into a medical school.

Alternatively, if you still want to be a doctor and dont mind feet, there is the Podiatry (DPM) path. These are foot and ankle surgeons in the United States, and your MCAT is fine enough to get into one of the larger schools and your grad GPA will help the adcoms overlook your past mistakes. Last I checked, those bigger schools still had seats available this year. I would do a lot of shadowing to see if you could see yourself as a foot and ankle doctor. It is the closest thing you can get to being a MD/DO, but it is an alternative and not a substitute. DPM isnt a backdoor to being an internist, but you will (depending on the state you practice in) be regarded as a physician within the majority of the medical community.

There are problems in the profession, and the degree is limited to foot and ankle (and soft tissues below the knee in some states) redering it less useful outside of practice than a MD degree, but DPM schools are super easy to get into because not a lot of people want to work with feet.

thanks for the reply. i appreciate it. i've found some MSP but they're mostly for URM. and when i called them, they prefer african americans and hispanic/ latinos; they generalize asians as expected. I'll explore my options. i'm desparate :)

Unfortunately I think you already know the answer to this. Even if you were a triple URM Veteran with a PhD and a nobel prize your odds would probably only be like 10%.

I don't believe grad GPAs count at all which leaves you with a 493/2.9. Either of these alone would likely be lethal, but combined they pretty much put your odds at zero.

thanks for the reply. med schools admissions say they'll look at things hollistically. i don't know much of that is true but, to me, what's done is done. i did horrible and was lost in my first 2 years, and that's when i screwed things up a lot. my last 2 years of undergraduate are mostly As. it's sad that they won't look at master's GPA the same as postbach's.

Your Masters GPA will do you good. You MUST retake the MCAT though. you should only take the exam if you are confident that you will do well, even if you had scored a 498 like you had expected, that wouldn't have cut it. you need to KNOW that you will score above a 500 before you take the exam again.

Reactions: 1 user
Kill the MCAT, it’ll open more doors

Get that 3.00 and score a 505+

Thanks everyone for your replies. I greatly appreciate them. I have done some research mostly on DO schools and it's clear that getting 500+ should be my primary goal now. I'm going to study for 2-3 months and retake it, and if it's too late, I'll apply next year.
I'm appplying to few DO and MD schools to see what happens. I wonder if retaking the MCAT in late August and getting my score back in late September will be too late to be considered.

plus i'm 32 y.o.
Being an Asian minority, were you significantly hindered (financially) growing up?

plus i'm 32 y.o.
Is the MS a research MS? Or SMP?
IF the former, MD schools do not count such GPAs, knowing that there is alot of grade inflation in research programs.

IF the latter, there are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

BUt your MCAT is lethal for all. You have to retake.

Read this:Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention