MCAT scores - how does the curve work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redoxify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it pre-determined or is it based on the results? I know it's a bell-curve so I'm assuming/hoping the curve's set after the results come in?

Just took the March 27th test and the BS was harder than expected. Just looking for some reassurance here. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

um...i actually am pretty sure that they scale after the results come in, it is still a tough scale, but every test i think is scored a little differently

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found this out a few days ago, but apparently the mcat incorporates experimental passages/questions which are not graded..just used for statistical gains. The MCAT then places a certain number of statistically easy, medium, and hard questions, and thus the curve is predetermined...sort of.

I just found this out a few days ago, but apparently the mcat incorporates experimental passages/questions which are not graded..just used for statistical gains. The MCAT then places a certain number of statistically easy, medium, and hard questions, and thus the curve is predetermined...sort of.

ok. you BETTER not be joking about this. Cause i'm already hoping one (two, actually) questions are experimental.

It's true, experimental questions are on the MCAT, but sometimes people rely too much on them. Don't worry too much, just know that you have a 70% chance of scoring -1 to +3 of your AAMC average.

-LIS

haha i forgot about the possibility of experimental questions. but i also heard about the pre-determined curve, so... best of luck to us i guess.