MCAT Scores not Officially Sent = Application Delay??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was unaware that when one is applying to DO schools, one must send his/her official MCAT scores directly from AAMC to AACOMAS. I know it sounds silly, but I thought that by providing AACOMAS my AAMC ID# that they would be able to see all official scores. I guess not.

A few questions.
I'm already verified. Sent "unofficial scores" by plugging them into the AACOMAS application.

1) Will this delay my application in getting secondaries/being reviewed by schools?
2) How long does it take for "official MCAT scores" to be processed by AACOMAS?
3) How can I confirm that schools have received my "official" scores?

I sent the scores just now from the AAMC website.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes for some schools it can mean a delay. A couple days to process. No way to know for some schools. Others have an online check box system to show what they have.

When AACOMAS gets your official scores posted hit update to send an update to all schools. I'd also email the schools and let them know your MCAT has been updated with official scores so they can update your file. I discovered last cycle that such is not automatic for all schools. Some may want mcat scores sent directly to them or the link for them to get such.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes for some schools it can mean a delay. A couple days to process, no way to know for some schools. Others has an online check box system to show what they have.

When AACOMAS gets your official scores posted hit update to send an update to all schools. I'd also email the schools and let them know your MCAT has been updated with official scores so they can update your file. I discovered last cycle that such is not automatic for all schools. Some may want mcat scores sent directly to them or the link for them to get such.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply,
How can I confirm that AACOMAS has received my scores? What is the indication on the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you have to do that for each individual score? For a retake later this year will you have to resubmit/resend you scores?

Will you have to do that for each individual score? For a retake later this year will you have to resubmit/resend you scores?
No, once you send your scores to AACOMAS, you send all scores available. I don't know the answer to your second questions as I am unfamiliar with the process myself. (Hence the thread :laugh:)

For a retake resend your scores to aacomas, update your app, and email individual schools, as not all update your info if you don't tell them to.

Click on the "Submit Application" tab--- right there is the list of schools you've applied to/applying to that you've added-- right next to each of the medical school names(e.g
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University) you will see a small blue box that when you hover your arrow to it will say "Download Program Application" click on it and right there you will see everything that this school has/will receive-- and in those pages you will see the MCAT scores sent to that school-- like the actual official MCAT score report.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Click on the "Submit Application" tab--- right there is the list of schools you've applied to/applying to that you've added-- right next to each of the medical school names(e.g
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University) you will see a small blue box that when you hover your arrow to it will say "Download Program Application" click on it and right there you will see everything that this school has/will receive-- and in those pages you will see the MCAT scores sent to that school-- like the actual official MCAT score report.

Thanks lut

I mean I sent my unofficial scores so maybe that'll help a bit. So frustrating that I have to wait extra time meanwhile I could have sent them in May...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Will schools utilize unofficial scores in the meantime or is it completely dependent on official scores? I can't see what the purpose of submitting unofficial scores would be if they didn't use them in some way

That's why I was reminding people on the questions thread!!!

I totally forgot to send in my MCAT scores, but it only took 1 day for them to get verified by AACOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why I was reminding people on the questions thread!!!

I totally forgot to send in my MCAT scores, but it only took 1 day for them to get verified by AACOM.
Thats good news. When did you send them in?

The difference I noticed between the apps with and without official MCAT score is that screenshots of your MCAT report is included .
They see the confidence bands and everything.

The difference I noticed between the apps with and without official MCAT score is that screenshots of your MCAT report is included .
They see the confidence bands and everything.
Thanks for this information. I'm hoping that maybe they'll have it processed sometime in the middle of next week. I really don't want to be held up in receiving secondaries for something silly like this.

So how does one go about updating schools? My MCAT scores were received today. Do I literally just hit, "update schools" button on the home page? I'm probably going to email every school individually as well asking them to update my file.

So how does one go about updating schools? My MCAT scores were received today. Do I literally just hit, "update schools" button on the home page? I'm probably going to email every school individually as well asking them to update my file.

I would click the update button and then download the program report thing and check to see if the schools have your official MCAT report with the confidence intervals(the diamonds? you see you on the aamc website)

I didn't see the confidence intervals but I saw official scores with percentiles...

I would click the update button and then download the program report thing and check to see if the schools have your official MCAT report with the confidence intervals(the diamonds? you see you on the aamc website)

Oh never mind I see the confidence intervals. I hit the update button like three times lol and I'm gunna email the schools individually as well asking them to update my app.

Oh never mind I see the confidence intervals. I hit the update button like three times lol and I'm gunna email the schools individually as well asking them to update my app.

For most if you haven't gotten a secondary yet you don't have to email each school.

The thread is too long to rad but, OP, you're fine. Just make it sure they get it eventually before they get your secondary.

Sent in my mcat request last Friday and got it yesterday. Quick turnaround.