MCAT SCORING CONFUSION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowster007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I am slightly confused and was wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. My NS FL score for one of my test was 496(125/122/124/125) and today I took AAMC FL 2 and scored 488 (123/121/121/123).

What is confusing is for my NS FL, I had gotten 27 out of 59 correct in chem/phys which equates for my 125 whereas on my AAMC FL 2 I got 29 out of 59 but received a 123? Is it due to the weighting? Help! I am slightly panicking...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand how the scores could be different so if someone could clear that up that would be great! I have to take my test soon and I would not want to take it if my AAMC is that low!

Yes, they are scaled differently. The AAMC FLs are most predictive of the score you should expect to get on the real MCAT. You are not ready. Usually, scores below 500 mean you have a serious content gap. Have you reviewed both of these FLs yet to see if you are understanding the content?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, they are scaled differently. The AAMC FLs are most predictive of the score you should expect to get on the real MCAT. You are not ready. Usually, scores below 500 mean you have a serious content gap. Have you reviewed both of these FLs yet to see if you are understanding the content?
I am at the moment reviewing the one I took today as well as all the other tests I have taken. I am using AAMC pack questions.. I have ran through UWorld twice completely. A lot of times when I Review I see why I make a mistake and definitely understand it and in fact sometimes think the mistake is careless error. So I think it may be my approach to the questions which is holding me back...

Members don't see this ad :)
You are making a LOT of careless errors to get a 488. Make sure when you are reviewing those FLs that you are not just going over the questions you missed, but also the ones you got right to make sure you got them right for the correct reasons. Make sure to do all of the AAMC questions at least once before your real MCAT. When are you planning on taking it?

You are making a LOT of careless errors to get a 488. Make sure when you are reviewing those FLs that you are not just going over the questions you missed, but also the ones you got right to make sure you got them right for the correct reasons. Make sure to do all of the AAMC questions at least once before your real MCAT. When are you planning on taking it?
Sounds good. I was preparing for August but I may hold off. My target score was for 500+.

Sounds good. I was preparing for August but I may hold off. My target score was for 500+.
You are in danger of doing poorly on the MCAT. If your goal is 500, I'm assuming you'd be happy with squeaking into a DO school (which is in no way guaranteed with a 500)?

On standardized tests, such as the MCAT, a good rule to follow is to be happy with scoring within +/- 10 points of your average practice range (to account for nerves, being tested on weak topics, etc.). That means you should be aiming to score around a 510 on practice tests before you take the real deal.

One of the worst and most immature mistakes you can make is to say something akin to: "Well, I make really stupid mistakes on practice exams...but I won't let that happen on my actual test day" or "I keep scoring xxx, but I know I'll do better on the actual exam". Don't fool yourself.

Push your test back until later this Fall. Or even until the Spring. You are not ready. Best of luck to you. This is not a process that rewards rush-jobs. Find out what you are doing wrong, reformulate, and then take some more practice tests.

You are in danger of doing poorly on the MCAT. If your goal is 500, I'm assuming you'd be happy with squeaking into a DO school (which is in no way guaranteed with a 500)?

On standardized tests, such as the MCAT, a good rule to follow is to be happy with scoring within +/- 10 points of your average practice range (to account for nerves, being tested on weak topics, etc.). That means you should be aiming to score around a 510 on practice tests before you take the real deal.

One of the worst and most immature mistakes you can make is to say something akin to: "Well, I make really stupid mistakes on practice exams...but I won't let that happen on my actual test day" or "I keep scoring xxx, but I know I'll do better on the actual exam". Don't fool yourself.

Push your test back until later this fall. Or even until next Spring. You are not ready. Best of luck to you. This is not a process that rewards rush-jobs.

Push your test back until later this fall. Or even until next Spring. You are not ready. Best of luck to you. This is not a process that rewards rush-jobs.
Appreciate it... I was wondering if you guys have tips for highlighting in Science passages?

It seems like I took it forever ago, now. But I seem to remember ditching highlighting all together because it was a time-suck. You should practice reading the passage and summarizing in your head what is being said. At the end, ask yourself "What is the author getting at here? What is being tested?". Even if you can't figure out what is right, you should be able to figure out what is not right. That skill helps me to this day.

Appreciate it... I was wondering if you guys have tips for highlighting in Science passages?

I highlighted abbreviations so that I could quickly refer back to them (crap like "QRZ117"). I didn't highlight anything else. I agree that it is a time suck.

I can't say I agree with +/-10. I would say more like +/-3. One of the main purposes of taking practice tests is to get your nerves under control. If you take your practice FLs as if they are the real deal then the AAMC FLs should be pretty close in score. That is what I have seen from myself and many others.

Reactions: 1 users