MCAT- Should I retake?

chrys.kay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just received my scores for the MCAT, which I took July 21, 2017. I am pleased to say I got a 511 (126, 129, 128, 128). Yippee!

Now this would be my last step before applying for the cycle next year.

My cGPA is 3.61 and my sGPA is 3.5. I am an EMT, have research experience, a future publication, volunteering, medical volunteering, I'm a medical scribe, etc etc...

I'm feeling that since my GPA is lower, I might need to consider retaking the exam. That being said, I do have solid extracurriculars that I can also build over the next eyar.

The #1 school I'm interested in is Tulane University, whose avg incoming for class of 2021 is 3.57 with a 510 MCAT.

If these are my targets for school, should I retake? Do I have a shot?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT retake a 511, stick with your "Yippiee!"

Congratulations by the way

I just got rejected to Tulane, and I have a 3.73 and 505 Mcat. Maybe Tulane prefers higher Mcats over higher GPA's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got rejected to Tulane, and I have a 3.73 and 505 Mcat. Maybe Tulane prefers higher Mcats over higher GPA's?

What were your EC's etc? I have no idea o_O I have a friend who was accepted to Johns Hopkins and rejected from UC Riverside in the same day for Fall 2017.

I'm hoping that my EC's will help me be more successful. I know that they're trying to move towards more 'holistic' applications.

*shrugs* Job, volunteering, clubs, tutoring, shadowing, research, etc.

Same old, same old. I haven't gotten a single MD interview invite. Whatever, lol.

Edit: UCR has a medical school?!?! I was totally at UCR last week! Haha!

This is in the HS forum? lol